RIP Cyclop?????

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Imho

This is the players set. The upgrade sets involve more machine processing. Which gives added opportunities for flaws or defects.

The higher shine on the balls makes it easier for me to get my aim points.

The cue ball is pure as the driven snow. Just white, no dot no circle no eye. I will call it casper🥴.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is the players set. The upgrade sets involve more machine processing. Which gives added opportunities for flaws or defects.

The higher shine on the balls makes it easier for me to get my aim points.

The cue ball is pure as the driven snow. Just white, no dot no circle no eye. I will call it casper🥴.
I msg'd Dynasphere on this. They said only difference in the balls is the designs. All use same formula and meet same size/weight tolerances. I do like the Silver set. Traditional colors for me.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
I msg'd Dynasphere on this. They said only difference in the balls is the designs. All use same formula and meet same size/weight tolerances. I do like the Silver set. Traditional colors for me.

I had not noticed the colors in the silver set. I agree they are more closely aligned with traditional colors. Still a good price as well.👍

After a few days practice (playing🥴), the balls are maintaining the glass like luster.

I think I goofed by leaving them on the table with the Cyclop set. As they seem to have migrated towards the fear of the dark that the Cyclop balls exhibit.🥴

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For those wanting to see each of the Dynasphere ball sets to compare designs, here are each of the 4 available from my playing collection in order from the entry-level Tungsten followed by the Silver, Gold and finally the Platinum:

a628ba1753e98c42d464c9f577d89a5b.jpg

431cd0f282bffab581ee5f9a3415bbab.jpg

5933ac5cdf4d38ef795b763e897f34f6.jpg

95fd08486ae4cb8bdf750f3971c9fcf3.jpg

~ K.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
I don’t know but the platinum set seems to have sad faces. :shrug: Kind of like, “sorry about the colors.:shrug:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
For those wanting to see each of the Dynasphere ball sets to compare designs, here are each of the 4 available from my playing collection in order from the entry-level Tungsten followed by the Silver, Gold and finally the Platinum:

a628ba1753e98c42d464c9f577d89a5b.jpg

431cd0f282bffab581ee5f9a3415bbab.jpg

5933ac5cdf4d38ef795b763e897f34f6.jpg

95fd08486ae4cb8bdf750f3971c9fcf3.jpg

~ K.

I'm not color blind, but looking at these balls, I have a pretty good idea what it's like. If you are irritated reading THIS, I am equally irritated looking at these BALLS :wink:

i

Last edited:

9ball5032

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks for posting this. I ordered a set of Tungstens. I can't wait to try them out. :thumbup:

LWD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a set of Aramiths and the Cyclop Hperions. Prefer the innovative design of the Hyperions—the extra money balls with a special design are a great idea. The Hyperions play fine as far as I am concerned. They definitely stay cleaner than the Aramiths. The two sets play a LITTLE differently to my amateur feel. But Hyperion wins on design points. (Funny how we expect all sorts of innovative/creative designs in our cues but think playing with an old ball design is ok.)

Last edited:

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I’m having a hard time believing the only difference is design. $80 Tungsten, $170 silver, $325 for gold, $365 for platinum.

Last edited:

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The cost is determined by the varying degrees of labor necessary to get to the finished product.

The numbers on the cheap set are made by shallow CNC routing and back filling with black.(8-ball is back filled with white)

The Silver set has a solid white "stick" in the low balls and the numbers are machined into it. A "stick" isn't used in the high balls and the numbers are machined directly into the white area and back filled.

The Gold set has a solid white "stick" in the low balls AND in the high balls.

The most expensive ball is very labor intensive because of the shape of the "stick," the black trim around it, and the number inside. The fancy "stick" is only used on the low balls and the fancy configuration is CNC routed into the white area of the high balls. The fancy configuration is too large to be machined into the stripe on the high balls. If it could be made to fit, the balls would be more expensive.

Last edited:

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The cost is determined by the varying degrees of labor necessary to get to the finished product.

Yeah. If you go back to K2Kraze's picture of all 4 sets, you can see the complexity of machining gets progressively greater with each set. I could see the platinum set taking 10x as much labor or more to make than the tungsten set. The more complex balls probably also have a much higher number of "rejects" that don't meet spec and need to be discarded.

That easily explains the price difference, even if they do use the same high quality base materials.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The numbers on the cheap set are made by shallow CNC routing and back filling with black.(8-ball is back filled with white)

The Silver set has a solid white "stick" in the low balls and the numbers are machined into it. A "stick" isn't used in the high balls and the numbers are machined directly into the white area and back filled.

The Gold set has a solid white "stick" in the low balls AND in the high balls.

The most expensive ball is very labor intensive because of the shape of the "stick," the black trim around it, and the number inside. The fancy "stick" is only used on the low balls and the fancy configuration is CNC routed into the white area of the high balls. The fancy configuration is too large to be machined into the stripe on the high balls. If it could be made to fit, the balls would be more expensive.
Just curious as to how you know their manuf. method. Is this just standard PoolBallMaking101?

Last edited:

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I was at the Diamond factory yesterday and saw the last pallet of
Cyclop balls that will move through them.

I heard Cyclop did not even tell Diamond about Dynaspheres at all...
STUPID move. Literally, the only reason Cyclop ever got one dollar
of market share is because of Diamond. They really shot themselves
in the foot here. I see failure in their future.

Lesson of the story: don't bite the hand that feeds you. Just my $0.02

TFT

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was at the Diamond factory yesterday and saw the last pallet of
Cyclop balls that will move through them.

I heard Cyclop did not even tell Diamond about Dynaspheres at all...
STUPID move. Literally, the only reason Cyclop ever got one dollar
of market share is because of Diamond. They really shot themselves
in the foot here. I see failure in their future.

Lesson of the story: don't bite the hand that feeds you. Just my $0.02

TFT

The writing was on the wall before Dynasperes even hit the market. Cyclop's partnership with Championship cloth was most likely going to be the unraveling of the relationship with Diamond due to Diamond's agreement with Simonis. Why do you think the Cyclop/Predator relationship regarding the Arcos II's went south? Exact same reason due to Predator being in the cloth business now.