Slightly odd request...

SKDelta

Registered
Hello All,

First of all, I would like to say that I really do like this community. I have a kinda odd request and I hope that you could help me.

I live in Europe ( Ireland) and I love poll. may it be 8,9 14.1 or straight pool, I just love it. I have invested in decent sticks Predators and Mezz. I am planning for my next vacation ( Dec 2020) Obviously, providing that the Covid19 is kinda gone and that the US reopens its borders, I would like to organise a 2 weeks vacation around pool.

Maybe week of lectures or something Similar and I would love to take part in an official tournament.

I have no idea where to start, which city should I consider. I was hoping that maybe as you guys have bootcamp, you may have poolcamp... Ah also, I am 50 years old :)

I really look forward to seeing your suggestion.

Eric

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Derby City Classic would have to be the single must-attend event in the USA. Annually, in January...as I recall.

You wont need a car, unlike many other events.

There will be multiple games being played and in addition to the tournaments, you'll see a lot of cash games.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Hello All,

First of all, I would like to say that I really do like this community. I have a kinda odd request and I hope that you could help me.

I live in Europe ( Ireland) and I love poll. may it be 8,9 14.1 or straight pool, I just love it. I have invested in decent sticks Predators and Mezz. I am planning for my next vacation ( Dec 2020) Obviously, providing that the Covid19 is kinda gone and that the US reopens its borders, I would like to organise a 2 weeks vacation around pool.

Maybe week of lectures or something Similar and I would love to take part in an official tournament.

I have no idea where to start, which city should I consider. I was hoping that maybe as you guys have bootcamp, you may have poolcamp... Ah also, I am 50 years old :)

Eric

December 2020 is too late for the US Open but there is a great room at Q Master Billiards in Virginia Beach.

I was in Ireland in 2016. Love the country I'd love to live there.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I 2nd Derby city, but Las Vegas might be good too, call around. Derby City is the one though if you can make it as anyone can enter and you can buy back in 1 time if you lose, so it's kind of the epitome of who's best, wins, no excuses.

SKDelta

Registered
Robin thank you for your reply. Do you know of any organisation that would have like intensive Pool courses by any chance? I once lived in Nebraska, and I do have an inactive APA membership, that could be handy to enter any tournament? Also I love the game but I am not a pro at all . I will in a few days post a video of a rank I played 2 months ago in a 9 ball tourney)

So it would appear that the tournament aspect of my vacations is an easy fix. The hardest would be to find a pool camp..

SKDelta

Registered
The Derby City Classic would have to be the single must-attend event in the USA. Annually, in January...as I recall.

You wont need a car, unlike many other events.

There will be multiple games being played and in addition to the tournaments, you'll see a lot of cash games.

Thank you ever so much, it seems to last 8 days so that is great! DSo you know of any pool camp? anywhere in the States that is

SKDelta

Registered
I 2nd Derby city, but Las Vegas might be good too, call around. Derby City is the one though if you can make it as anyone can enter and you can buy back in 1 time if you lose, so it's kind of the epitome of who's best, wins, no excuses.

Thank you, I am under no illusion of winning :) but I want to once have the experience I am just hoping that it ll be available in December...

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thank you ever so much, it seems to last 8 days so that is great! DSo you know of any pool camp? anywhere in the States that is
Several instructors offer pool camps or three day courses. Whether there will be one at the time of Derby City may be your problem. The ideal situation would be if a course was given at Derby City off-hours. Grady Mathews and Freddy the Beard did some brief courses there.

Depending on your timing, you may want to go to the Mosconi Cup in London at the start of December if you want to see an amazing pool event with great production. You probably won't get to play, though.:wink:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Several instructors offer pool camps or three day courses. Whether there will be one at the time of Derby City may be your problem. The ideal situation would be if a course was given at Derby City off-hours. Grady Mathews and Freddy the Beard did some brief courses there.

...:

but one does not want to seek out lessons from either of those two, at this point!

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I dont have any direct input, but I'd agree with Bob that lining up lessons at Derby City would be optimal.

SKDelta

Registered

Depending on your timing, you may want to go to the Mosconi Cup in London at the start of December if you want to see an amazing pool event with great production. You probably won't get to play, though.:wink:
Well actually I did go to that event 3 times but I wanna play :)

Last edited:

SKDelta

Registered

Thank you Bob! Yes that would be ideal, best would be to contact these players prior to me arriving cos if there is none, then I could do that in an other state.I am also planning to visit (if it still exist) the room where the hustler was filmed...

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't want to pour cold water on your plans but the head of CDC just said he expects it to be worse in the fall with covid 19 and flu season combined.

I'll be surprised in international travel is open.

Don't they have cue schools in England? You can walk into almost any pool hall and someone will be glad to charge for lessons but whether or not it benefits your game is an open question.

Keith E.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello All,

Eric

Delta,

I know that it's a bit early for you but, there will be two weeks of pool in the Norfolk/Va. Beach area, 23Oct-5Nov20.

23-24Oct20: Int'l One-Pocket

25-31Oct20 Int'l 9-Ball Open, Jr. Nationals Invitational

Both of the above events will be held at the Norfolk Sheraton. The tournament tables switch to pay tables every evening after the matches are complete along with two practice tables downstairs. No need to drive once you get there as there is food onsite and a short stroll along the waterfront for many more dining options.

1-5Nov20 American Straight Pool Championship.

This will be held at Q-Masters in Virginia Beach. They have food onsite and lodging close by. You could also extend your stay at the Sheraton and ride-share (15 minutes) for this tournament.

Again, I know it doesn't fit in your stated timeline but may be worth a small schedule change. There are normally several instructors at the Open as spectators but it might be possible to arrange for some lessons if you start early enough.

I hope that you have a great trip wherever you end up.

Keith

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CGreat info.

The Norfolk happenings have changed a lot over the past few years and it absolutely reads like the changes have been for the better.

Delta,

I know that it's a bit early for you but, there will be two weeks of pool in the Norfolk/Va. Beach area, 23Oct-5Nov20.

23-24Oct20: Int'l One-Pocket

25-31Oct20 Int'l 9-Ball Open, Jr. Nationals Invitational

Both of the above events will be held at the Norfolk Sheraton. The tournament tables switch to pay tables every evening after the matches are complete along with two practice tables downstairs. No need to drive once you get there as there is food onsite and a short stroll along the waterfront for many more dining options.

1-5Nov20 American Straight Pool Championship.

This will be held at Q-Masters in Virginia Beach. They have food onsite and lodging close by. You could also extend your stay at the Sheraton and ride-share (15 minutes) for this tournament.

Again, I know it doesn't fit in your stated timeline but may be worth a small schedule change. There are normally several instructors at the Open as spectators but it might be possible to arrange for some lessons if you start early enough.

I hope that you have a great trip wherever you end up.

Keith

Keith E.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CGreat info.

The Norfolk happenings have changed a lot over the past few years and it absolutely reads like the changes have been for the better.

BB,

Pat Fleming and his crew are the best thing to ever happen to that tournament, IMHO. He has an attendee for life, or at least as long as I am mobile. Ra Hanna brings good energy to the mix as well. The scheduling of these events and wondering what the next big thing will be have me hooked.

Now if we can just get more vendors onsite.

Keith