Congrats to Johann "Bubwit" Chua

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Congratulations to Johann Chua for sure, but SVB has now medaled in consecutive WPA events and that's a big deal. Shane is getting the hang of these events for sure and a win in an overseas WPA event is surely coming soon.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
64 player knockout, all the stars have to align and you need all the rolls...OK, and be a great players to boot. Johnnyt

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
64 player knockout, all the stars have to align and you need all the rolls...OK, and be a great players to boot. Johnnyt

It's no different than march madness.

In NCAA you win the big tournament and you get the glory. It's like that in all sports... there are big games that matter.

#wintheonesthatmatter

Last edited:

Robert58

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Seams like I remember Jay Helfert saying in one of his Phillipine musing posts to watch out for a new kid coming up named Johann Chua. Glad to see the kid coming along and improving. Hope he keeps it up. I really enjoyed his shot making against SVB. Sorry for SVB but the kid can shoot. I nicknamed him The Machine.

rhatten

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seams like I remember Jay Helfert saying in one of his Phillipine musing posts to watch out for a new kid coming up named Johann Chua. Glad to see the kid coming along and improving. Hope he keeps it up. I really enjoyed his shot making against SVB. Sorry for SVB but the kid can shoot. I nicknamed him The Machine.

This kid can flat out shoot. No fear of anyone. Smooth and yes a machine. Ask SVB.

R

Bayawak

Tirador
Silver Member
"Best by far"? People sure love jumping on the bandwagon for the flavor of the month on this site :rolleyes:

You're just sore because van boening lost again, and to an unknown kid to boot. This kid had been beating Efren and most of the monsters back in the PI. And you're a sour grape. I like van boening too but don't expect him to win everything.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I liked Chua from the beginning because of his composure and how he handled himself. He was still very young but played like a seasoned pro. His ability was evident already, he just needed some time to get used to playing tournaments, since he had been primarily a money game player before. No surprise for me here and I fully expect it to be only the beginning for him. This has to give his confidence a boost and I look for him to win a world title in the next year or two.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're just sore because van boening lost again, and to an unknown kid to boot. This kid had been beating Efren and most of the monsters back in the PI. And you're a sour grape. I like van boening too but don't expect him to win everything.

Who mentioned SVB? Chua is far from being an unknown kid.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congratulations to Johann Chua for sure, but SVB has now medaled in consecutive WPA events and that's a big deal. Shane is getting the hang of these events for sure and a win in an overseas WPA event is surely coming soon.

Let's not forget , the Fargo rating of the top 10 who did not play may be higher than the top 10 who did
I would call this event a half of a class world event ,,

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Let's not forget , the Fargo rating of the top 10 who did not play may be higher than the top 10 who did
I would call this event a half of a class world event ,,

It was a poorly attended, but major, WPA event, that's all. Wondering why so many skipped it.

luan.vo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
because this event money prize is a joke. Shane made semifinalist and cash in 2500usd. after all expenses, he made 500usd. and when he practiced. they charge table time 25usd/hr. unreal. i don't think Shane will come back to Japan open next year

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was a poorly attended, but major, WPA event, that's all. Wondering why so many skipped it.

Ya I know as the following post the money was slight , but for the Ko's , Wu and such the travel expenses could not have been near what others were , I'm just wondering if there was another reason ,
Hell you could argue stienways had a better field

july9x

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
because this event money prize is a joke. Shane made semifinalist and cash in 2500usd. after all expenses, he made 500usd. and when he practiced. they charge table time 25usd/hr. unreal. i don't think Shane will come back to Japan open next year

WHAT? :mad:

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Well that remains to be seen ,
Shane's one of the few who can take a flyer on a tourney that has more merit than money , he's one of the few that's actualy made himself a comfortable living ,, money is I'm sure is of some importantancd but to build his legacy I think the money is less important to him than a title in some cases and I think this might be one he would not mind having that feather in his cap
We know it was a tourney on the cheap but yrs from now it would still be considerd a badge of honor to win in anyone's legacy

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member

you mean this?
IMG_1076.jpg