Daulton Leong Road Respect

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I cannot recall a room called Country Club Billiards in SF in the mid-70’s.

I do remember Van’s Billiards, a two story affair, on Van Ness, and Town and Country Billiards in Daly City. It was at the latter that I met Dalton, who was traveling through the area with Hawaiian Brian. A bunch of us went to breakfast early one morning after the pool room closed down. He seemed like a nice enough guy.

Lou Figueroa

It may of been closed by then. I know the Bart was not yet going in, on Market St.
If your back was to the SF Bay and you were walking up hill it was on the right. The opposite side of the Street from Henry Africas.

H.A. was, thee Only bar I ever worked in, where I cracked an egg, dumped the yellow and made it a Tom Collins after putting it in the blender. Also the only bar I ever worked at that, if you ordered a screw driver. We squeezed the orange an then added vodka.

Wasn't....ummmm trying to remember, a good one hole player in his day Ron something/Italian, not Barber. His family was in charge of the bartenders union. I can see his face. Pretty his name was Ron. He played at Gradys place in Colorado Springs in the mid seventies, and stayed for quite awhile.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I cannot recall a room called Country Club Billiards in SF in the mid-70’s. ...
I think that was the room on Van Ness near Washington. They had Nationals with gold cloth. Very large pockets. I played there about 1966-7.

Edit... Well, Google knows all.... but we knew that.

CropperCapture[472].jpg

Last edited:

pvc lou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is turning out to be a great thread. Thanks Bill 'island drive' Meachem (sp?). I feel like i'm accidentally sitting in on a rendezvous for the "in" crowd.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It may of been closed by then. I know the Bart was not yet going in, on Market St.
If your back was to the SF Bay and you were walking up hill it was on the right. The opposite side of the Street from Henry Africas.

H.A. was, thee Only bar I ever worked in, where I cracked an egg, dumped the yellow and made it a Tom Collins after putting it in the blender. Also the only bar I ever worked at that, if you ordered a screw driver. We squeezed the orange an then added vodka.

Wasn't....ummmm trying to remember, a good one hole player in his day Ron something/Italian, not Barber. His family was in charge of the bartenders union. I can see his face. Pretty his name was Ron. He played at Gradys place in Colorado Springs in the mid seventies, and stayed for quite awhile.

Don’t remember the 1pocket player but I do remember Henry Africa’s — one of the great and first “fern bars” when that became a thing.

I also remember, in that part of the city, The Bus Stop bar on Union Street. Every afternoon all the hustlers in the city would pony up their quarters to play the lawyers and stock market guys on one of the two tables in the back. You could walk in and see a who’s who of players waiting to play $25 (often way more) a game 8ball with the lambs. The players alway seemed to extend each other professional courtesy and just pretend to pay each other off while stalling.

Lou Figueroa

Island Drive

Silver Member
Don’t remember the 1pocket player but I do remember Henry Africa’s — one of the great and first “fern bars” when that became a thing.

I also remember, in that part of the city, The Bus Stop bar on Union Street. Every afternoon all the hustlers in the city would pony up their quarters to play the lawyers and stock market guys on one of the two tables in the back. You could walk in and see a who’s who of players waiting to play $25 (often way more) a game 8 ball with the lambs. The players always seemed to extend each other professional courtesy and just pretend to pay each other off while stalling.

Lou Figueroa

Lou, Ron Barber kinda owned that turf, I lived on Laguna. It was at the corner of a bus stop, Valley 8' bar table, with the Big Heavy ball. Few at the time new their way around that type of equipment. Ronnie Barber always wore a green khaki type military looking long sleeve heavy cotton shirt, helped with that damp SF air and the military presence during that era. He too came to Matthews place in the Springs. But that Ron Guy/Italian, his name will come, deep gravely voice. And Jewett, I do remember that look/pic you just posted for this room, a victorian feel. My room mate at that time was driving Ambulance and was playing cards in Oakland, most every day he was not driving the Ambulance for the military needs, during the Vietnam era, he made about 60-$80 every day.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I cannot recall a room called Country Club Billiards in SF in the mid-70’s.

I do remember Van’s Billiards, a two story affair, on Van Ness, and Town and Country Billiards in Daly City. It was at the latter that I met Dalton, who was traveling through the area with Hawaiian Brian. A bunch of us went to breakfast early one morning after the pool room closed down. He seemed like a nice enough guy.

Lou Figueroa

I played pool in Country Club Billiards sometime back in the late 70's. I was with my sister and we drove up there to visit her BF, who was an attorney. He wanted to play pool with me and that was the room closest to where he lived. Just a big, well lit, square box of a room, full of Gold Crowns as I recall, and absolutely zero action. I told Jack (her BF) that if I could get a game in there I would, but no such luck. Only bangers and fun players when I was there.

P.S. I played Tom Spencer at Town and Country in a pretty big local tournament around that same time. I was the only one in there that knew him and he knew me. We played in the semifinals and made a deal. He won the tournament (I was third) and he got $1,000 and threw me an extra 10% ($100). I think I only got $300 for third so the extra hundy was nice. From there I went on to SF and The Palace. Somehow I survived that trip. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think that was the room on Van Ness near Washington. They had Nationals with gold cloth. Very large pockets. I played there about 1966-7.

Edit... Well, Google knows all.... but we knew that.

View attachment 542229

That's the place. I was wrong about the Gold Crowns. I just remember the tables played soft, with big pockets. I kind of thought they had an off color cloth but I didn't say that because I couldn't remember for sure.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

That's Bill Sigall with his arms folded talking to Joey Spaeth (Gary's dad and a great player himself). And Dalton on the right. I remember the TD sitting up there but forget his name right now.

Island Drive

Silver Member
Rich Marquez...........was the name that I was trying to remember. Family was involved in the bartenders union in SF early 70's.

demonrho

Registered Amuser
Silver Member
Used to sneak into Gino & Carlo's bar in North Beach in San Francisco, (I was underage), and watch Ronnie Barber, Rich Marquez, Filipino Gene, etc, gamble at three ball on those two bar tables. Rich could play, but I made a little $ side betting on Baltimore Buddy against him at the Tip Top Club on Mission Street. Filipino Gene used to get in action after hours at the Tip Top. Hawaiian Howard (Ikeda) used to play too. Whatever happened to Howard?

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lou, Ron Barber kinda owned that turf, I lived on Laguna. It was at the corner of a bus stop, Valley 8' bar table, with the Big Heavy ball. Few at the time new their way around that type of equipment. Ronnie Barber always wore a green khaki type military looking long sleeve heavy cotton shirt, helped with that damp SF air and the military presence during that era. He too came to Matthews place in the Springs. But that Ron Guy/Italian, his name will come, deep gravely voice. And Jewett, I do remember that look/pic you just posted for this room, a victorian feel. My room mate at that time was driving Ambulance and was playing cards in Oakland, most every day he was not driving the Ambulance for the military needs, during the Vietnam era, he made about 60-$80 every day.

I spoke with Ronnie a couple of times.

He knew I was new at the game and gave me some unsolicited advice, which for some reason, I still remember to this day: “If you ever get into a pool room fight, send it all in. Balls, sticks, whatever.”

Thankfully, I’ve never had to use it.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Used to sneak into Gino & Carlo's bar in North Beach in San Francisco, (I was underage), and watch Ronnie Barber, Rich Marquez, Filipino Gene, etc, gamble at three ball on those two bar tables. Rich could play, but I made a little $ side betting on Baltimore Buddy against him at the Tip Top Club on Mission Street. Filipino Gene used to get in action after hours at the Tip Top. Hawaiian Howard (Ikeda) used to play too. Whatever happened to Howard?

I saw Howard regularly at the Jointed Cue in Sacramento in the mid-80’s.

Lou Figueroa

Island Drive

Silver Member
I spoke with Ronnie a couple of times.

He knew I was new at the game and gave me some unsolicited advice, which for some reason, I still remember to this day: “If you ever get into a pool room fight, send it all in. Balls, sticks, whatever.”

Thankfully, I’ve never had to use it.

Lou Figueroa

..........................................:D...thx for the laugh. With his good sense of humor, I can hear em saying that, with his bara-toned voice delivery/giggle. :p

Island Drive

Silver Member
I think he’s back playing again after a long hiatus to raise a family.

Really???.... reach out to em, one pocket event in June at Chris's in Chicago. I think we could get em in the mix. PM me if that happens. Thx. Be great to see em.

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Really???.... reach out to em, one pocket event in June at Chris's in Chicago. I think we could get em in the mix. PM me if that happens. Thx. Be great to see em.

After checking I think maybe the guy I just met is his son. He's about 55-60 at the oldest.

I don't have any contact information for him but I may see him this weekend.

Island Drive

Silver Member
After checking I think maybe the guy I just met is his son. He's about 55-60 at the oldest.

I don't have any contact information for him but I may see him this weekend.

I did the same thing with Cicero Murphy, it was his son.