Pool in need of another great ambassador

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you serious? Ever heard of The First Tee program? Him and his dad were instrumental in getting this started. Thousands were able to take up the game because of it. Its also provided over $10million in scholarship money. How many other sports figures have something like this on their record???

"I think First Tee sold us a bill of goods," Jackson State golf coach Eddie Payton said. "We got excited because we thought it was going to create the accessibility and education for the next generation of African-American golfers. They got in ... and said their goal was not to produce golfers, but create character through the game of golf.

I don't blame them, Bill Gates gave up to.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Willie had no personality!! Minnesota Fats made Willie interesting. The fact that he was one of the few things to watch made him interesting, there was only 4 channels to choose from and one of them didn't come in well with those rabbit ears or clothes hangers.

Earl was a show worth watching, Keith was a show worth watching, Kid Delicious..,

Bingo, Willies popularity was before everyone had a tv, or could even afford it. In his prime, he was the highest paid athlete on the planet/Brunswick.

His body language was not good for TV, his game, skills etc were, but his personality was NOT helpful, like Rudolph.

Those two were as different as Ted Knight and Rodney Dangerfield in Caddy Shack.

Last edited:

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tiger woods couldn't maintain the role and honestly, I think that in the information age, no human can maintain the position.

This is a very good point! The information age will destroy any person who becomes famous for all the right reasons because of those who want to bring that person down for all the wrong reasons. Derek Jeter and before him, Cal Ripken were able to maintain "Ambassador" status for baseball throughout their entire careers. Today, ANY person of stature in sports or life in general is subject to 24 scrutiny that is almost beyond the human ability to sustain a clean image. The slightest wayward dalliance will be exposed for all the world to wonder.
I hope someone does rise up an lead billiards to a U.S. resurgence- with or without another movie jolt!

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
People like joe rogan would have the clout, a real fan of the game and the reach. But hes got too many pins to juggle and a family. As far as pool players go, its hard. Found this show last night aboit a pool hustler frok mississippi on the history channel, not good for pools image. So the gambling needs to ne embraced like the nfl did, espn gives out odds all day. Or go family friendly. Theres a hundred views on what it ahould be. Pool is split, it has too many personalities and not enough psychiatrists.

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With Matchroom's involvement and Chinese 8b taking off i think the $$ is going to grow finally. Getting it on mainstream tv may be a little longer. When you can't outrun cornhole you have a problem.

Agree and the thing about cornhole or Darts on ESPN is that they throw a bag or dart every 2 seconds. When it takes 45 seconds to make a shot, producers are having trouble taking breaks for paid commercials.

Earl would be great for the sport, people want to see GREAT ACTION and TENSION, CONTROVERSY.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Jeanette Lee has been pool's ambassador for the past 20-30 years, if anyone. All the bangers love her, and know her. She is the ONLY pool name any banger knows.

She works her ass off too. I saw her with my own eyes lose about 30k in a gambling match at the Expo about 15 years ago to the Dominican crew. The spot was the game alternated between 9 ball on her break, and 10 ball on his break. Only the pool degenerates knew what was going on, and stayed all night to watch. An hour after the match was over in the AM, she was all dolled up, big smiles, and sighing autographs and posing for pictures with the beer guzzling bar bangers who found their way to the Expo to meet the Black Widow.

What is my point: I guess as personable as she is with the bangers, and how much they know and like her, and how hard she works at her image and fan interactions, did any of that actually acomplish anything for our sport? Would any other ambassador have been able to do better?

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree it needs a new ambassador. Right now pool’s biggest ambassador is still Jeanette Lee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You guys would all turn into frisbee golf fans for the right pied Piper, right?

With the right pied piper, I probably wouldn’t play frisbee golf but I might talk about it.

Today when I mention I play pool I get one of these responses.

A) Haha! Remind me not to play against you. (topic changed)

B) I got pretty good when I was younger and played a lot. (Pretty good = D player at best)

C) Oh yeah. I remember seeing that Asian chick on TV. She could beat anybody and boy was she hot. They called her the Black Widow. What was her name again? She still good?

Island Drive

Silver Member
With the right pied piper, I probably wouldn’t play frisbee golf but I might talk about it.

Today when I mention I play pool I get one of these responses.

A) Haha! Remind me not to play against you. (topic changed)

B) I got pretty good when I was younger and played a lot. (Pretty good = D player at best)

C) Oh yeah. I remember seeing that Asian chick on TV. She could beat anybody and boy was she hot. They called her the Black Widow. What was her name again? She still good?

I never tell people I play pool, there minds are hardwired.

MANY movies have someone hit with a cue, beat up around a pool table, in a bar with Bad people or thrown on a table and accosted in some manner.

It would be helpful if our game was portrayed differently, but those that make movies Also think of us in the same dingy light.

I prefer ''archery golf''.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"I think First Tee sold us a bill of goods," Jackson State golf coach Eddie Payton said. "We got excited because we thought it was going to create the accessibility and education for the next generation of African-American golfers. They got in ... and said their goal was not to produce golfers, but create character through the game of golf.

I don't blame them, Bill Gates gave up to.
His is one opinion and its not shared by all. FT has done more for junior golf than anything in the history of the game. I've met a lot of FT players and they've all been some of the best kids you could imagine. Its not just about the golf. FT actually turns out young people that don't act like most cell-phone addicted jackoff kids you see these days. Total success in my book. BTW, it was never set up just to foster African-American juniors. Done here. I should have put this NPR. My apologies to all.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

MANY movies have someone hit with a cue, beat up around a pool table, in a bar with Bad people or thrown on a table and accosted in some manner.

It would be helpful if our game was portrayed differently, but those that make movies Also think of us in the same dingy light.

Haha! Remind me not to play against you.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
His is one opinion and its not shared by all. FT has done more for junior golf than anything in the history of the game. I've met a lot of FT players and they've all been some of the best kids you could imagine. Its not just about the golf. FT actually turns out young people that don't act like most cell-phone addicted jackoff kids you see these days. Total success in my book. BTW, it was never set up just to foster African-American juniors. Done here. I should have put this NPR. My apologies to all.

Haha! Remind me not to play against you.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The funny thing is if I mention I play pool, nobody has ever taken the conversation in that direction.

I think that image isn’t associated with pool...it’s about bars. Those same scenes have chairs in them too but the public also doesn’t seem to be making that correlation between chairs and seedy behavior.

Island Drive

Silver Member
The funny thing is if I mention I play pool,
nobody has ever taken the conversation in that direction.
I think that image isn’t associated with pool...it’s about bars. Those same scenes have chairs in them too but the public also doesn’t seem to be making that correlation between chairs and seedy behavior.

No, but it's in their mind.....

Many nowadays avoid conflict.

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, but it's in their mind.....

Many nowadays avoid conflict.

We need another guy like the MIZ.

Monster player!

Wasn't "perfect" looking. He looked like the guy down the street. Approachable.

Great speaker.

Hilarious.

Approachable.

Very smart.

He had that magic that made him great in commercials and on David Letterman, etc. He was a robot. He had the best stroke in pool. He also had swag, confidence, bravado.

Yep, a combination like that is no easy find. The Miz was world famous and a real superstar - way over Mosconi.

Island Drive

Silver Member
We need another guy like the MIZ.

Monster player!

Wasn't "perfect" looking. He looked like the guy down the street. Approachable.

Great speaker.

Hilarious.

Approachable.

Very smart.

He had that magic that made him great in commercials and on David Letterman, etc. He was a robot. He had the best stroke in pool. He also had swag, confidence, bravado.

Yep, a combination like that is no easy find. The Miz was world famous and a real superstar - way over Mosconi.

Yeah, but Miz lost his miller lite job, he said something very negative about women.

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about Jeremy Jones?

He plays all games well, has won a number of tournaments and championships, played and coached a Mosconi Cup team.

He also has done some great commentary on a number of pool tournaments and matchups of great players.

He has matured and I think would be a good pick for someone to promote our game.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a very good point! The information age will destroy any person who becomes famous for all the right reasons because of those who want to bring that person down for all the wrong reasons. Derek Jeter and before him, Cal Ripken were able to maintain "Ambassador" status for baseball throughout their entire careers. Today, ANY person of stature in sports or life in general is subject to 24 scrutiny that is almost beyond the human ability to sustain a clean image. The slightest wayward dalliance will be exposed for all the world to wonder.
I hope someone does rise up an lead billiards to a U.S. resurgence- with or without another movie jolt!

mike, ever heard of roger federer?
he's kind of that guy, but not without a few folks still knocking him, of course-
anyway, as great as he is/has been, I agree these sort of "transcendent" players don't come around often

anyway, pool is a very unique game
and while I'm not opposed to any one player/person attracting a glut of attention on its behalf
that doesn't appear likely to be
still, a lot of names mentioned here have brought attention and respect to the game
mosconi, fats, hearn, shane (who does talk with his stick), melling, etc.
and I think that's where pool can continue to grow
little things add up, y'know?

so I say bag the savior thirst
and be the change you want to see in pool
if we all help out in our own small ways
(and we do..this forum is awesome!)
we can help pool grow UP:thumbup: