Wtb-Clear pads

sk8ordie

HTTR!
Silver Member
Does anyone have any clear pads(like clear tip pads) for sale or a place I can purchase from a website? Krown Cues is the only place I know and not trying to order from him if i can help it. Thank you.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

sk8ordie

HTTR!
Silver Member
Thank you, never thought about Ebay. I'll check with Carlos at Kamakaze too.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
I buy some 1/2" acrylic rod from eBay and just cut off what I need.
Cut with slow lathe rpm for the cleanest cut with a cut off tool.
Spin to fast and the acrylic will melt and mess it up.

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can make them from CD's also. A 16mm hole saw will make 13mm pads if it runs true, or otherwise use a 3/4 holes saw. Without the drill bit of course. CD's and DVD's work well.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
If one is looking to emulate the kamui clear pad, Polycarbonate is the actual material used, not acrylic or plexiglass....or CD's. Polycarbonate is bendable and VERY hard to break and it doesn't crack like acrylic under pressure.
Dave

Ipmtim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If one is looking to emulate the kamui clear pad, Polycarbonate is the actual material used, not acrylic or plexiglass....or CD's. Polycarbonate is bendable and VERY hard to break and it doesn't crack like acrylic under pressure.
Dave

Very true, the main difference between acrylic and polycarbonate is the poly has more impact resistance, and it does not like being laser engraved or cut.

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not to be nit picking, but CD's are polycarbonate . The top ones in the stack that are totally clear, is just a blank cd. When you remove the dye and Al layer, you have only polycarbonate sheet left.
I glue the tip to the clear bottom side of the CD disc, and then set up and trim the top face off the plastic. Sometimes the top layer can be peeled off also.

Last edited:

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Actually, CDs contain both, plus aluminum....
•A base layer made of a polycarbonate plastic.
• A thin layer of aluminum coating over the polycarbonate plastic.
• A clear protective acrylic coating over the aluminum layer.
If you take a cd and bend it, it will finally shatter....a pure polycarb sheet of the same thickness will bend, and not shatter

Either way..... it still isn't the same as Kamui clear's pad...which btw, still needs to be sanded flat before gluing

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what is the advantage to a rigid pad?

If a person already makes mostly capped melamine ferules, is there still an advantage to a polycarbonate pad?

thanks,
smt

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member

If a person already makes mostly capped melamine ferules, is there still an advantage to a polycarbonate pad?

thanks,
smt
With a capped ferrule, it is there only for looks, IMHO
Dave

sk8ordie

HTTR!
Silver Member

thanks,
smt

Well, I usually never use these(clear pad) other than when Kamui's come with them. A friend of mine bought some of the multi color-designed ferrule material and i'm not sure how sturdy the material is. I've seen some done and the clear pad does look better.So it will hopefully serve as two purposes untill we see how the material holds up.