Joint facings

jimtauer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have recently been struggling with my play and have tried many things but just couldn't figure out how to get out of the slump I'm in. My shotmaking and especially cue ball position/shape over the last few months have been pretty horrible. Today I took a good close look at all aspects of my cue (I admit something I should have done much earlier, but it hasn't been damaged or subject to weather or mosisture so I figured it was fine), and noticed it rolled straight apart but not together. The tip left the table when rolling it together - however trying two additional shafts (which I don't necessarily like/play with), it did roll straight together.

After doing some research here I found some posts about cue facing issues, one in particular that said how to test for a bad spot in the facing and to place scotch tape in that area of the butt to even it out.

I did this and the cue now rolls straight together with the shaft that had the issue.
I also just spent about 2 hours practicing and seemed to be doing a lot better after this "fix".

It is difficult for me to believe that something as thin as a piece of tape could possibly throw cue straightness off that much to affect one's game so badly. But it must have. I'm also wondering if this is really a good-enough permanent fix or (I assume) I should bring it in to a cuemaker to get the shaft re faced.

thoffen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's not "permanent" but if it gets the job done I don't see a way where there's anything wrong with leaving things the way they are. Not that facing a shaft is a hard thing to do. Probably wouldn't need to face the butt since it rolls straight with other shafts. Did it affect your game? Probably not in my view, but psychologically it has. Funny thing about placebo effect. There have been some studies where a person knows something they are doing is placebo and yet they still get benefit from it. Like superstitions. Do what works for you and be happy with that.

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A little off at the joint facing translates to a lot over 29" Here again, the problem could be more than just facing. :)

Mario

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have recently been struggling with my play and have tried many things but just couldn't figure out how to get out of the slump I'm in. My shotmaking and especially cue ball position/shape over the last few months have been pretty horrible. Today I took a good close look at all aspects of my cue (I admit something I should have done much earlier, but it hasn't been damaged or subject to weather or mosisture so I figured it was fine), and noticed it rolled straight apart but not together. The tip left the table when rolling it together - however trying two additional shafts (which I don't necessarily like/play with), it did roll straight together.

After doing some research here I found some posts about cue facing issues, one in particular that said how to test for a bad spot in the facing and to place scotch tape in that area of the butt to even it out.

I did this and the cue now rolls straight together with the shaft that had the issue.
I also just spent about 2 hours practicing and seemed to be doing a lot better after this "fix".

It is difficult for me to believe that something as thin as a piece of tape could possibly throw cue straightness off that much to affect one's game so badly. But it must have. I'm also wondering if this is really a good-enough permanent fix or (I assume) I should bring it in to a cuemaker to get the shaft re faced.

It needs to be spun in a lathe to determine what’s wrong with it. Could be a joint facing issue, could be a damaged joint, could be a warped shaft.

JC

Coos Cues
Not saying your cue shouldn't be fixed, just saying expect your play to be about the same over time whether your cue has a slight wobble or not. This type of defect doesn't destroy anyone's game.