Predator 314-2 shaft, predator 314-3 and Mezz ex pro comparison

jhun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For those who have tried, how do you compare these three shafts or just the two shafts in terms of deflection and feel?

I am looking for a forgiving low deflection shaft with solid hit. It must be similar or lower deflection than 314-2 shaft. Is it the new 314-3 or ex pro?

Thank you.

Last edited:

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Predator 314-2 is the only LD shaft I can play.
I've tried all of the major manufacturers and in MY!!!!! opinion they just don't measure up.
But then again this is coming from an avid solid maple shaft playing player....lol
Also, I have not tried the new 314-3.

jhun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Predator 314-2 is the only LD shaft I can play.
I've tried all of the major manufacturers and in MY!!!!! opinion they just don't measure up.
But then again this is coming from an avid solid maple shaft playing player....lol
Also, I have not tried the new 314-3.

I used to play also with a solid maple shaft for several years before I switched to z2. After almost 2 years of using z2, I switched to 314-2 shaft.

Hopefully, there's someone on here who will give us an idea on how 314-3 and mezz ex pro deflects compared to 314-2.

Last edited:

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For those who have tried, how do you compare these three shafts or just the two shafts in terms of deflection and feel?

I am looking for a forgiving low deflection shaft with solid hit. It must be similar or lower deflection than 314-2 shaft. Is it the new 314-3 or ex pro?

Unless your game is at the A-level already (semi-pro or better);

Just buy one (flip a coin if need be) and adjust your game to that shaft.

Now if your game is already at the A-Level already, you don't need any advice from this forum.

Rod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have to adjust, the question is what is easier or better to adjust to for you.
I played played solid maple for many years. After more than a layoff I found adjusting to stock deflection difficult. I play with a 12.5 314-2, squirt is fine but the hit is rather soft & hollow. The Z2 is to low of squirt and touchy on off center hits. Do not know of the other two but I have a 30" 12.5 classic plus on the way. If it feels more solid & squirt is close I'll adjust. There is always a trade off, unfortunately unless you can try one it can cost ya a few bucks.

jhun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As I said, feel is subjective. I just liked the hit the best of those three shafts.

I guess you were right about the hit. Most of the mezz shafts hit better than predator shafts. Is it a lower deflection compared to 314-2?

Last edited:

jhun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have to adjust, the question is what is easier or better to adjust to for you.
I played played solid maple for many years. After more than a layoff I found adjusting to stock deflection difficult. I play with a 12.5 314-2, squirt is fine but the hit is rather soft & hollow. The Z2 is to low of squirt and touchy on off center hits. Do not know of the other two but I have a 30" 12.5 classic plus on the way. If it feels more solid & squirt is close I'll adjust. There is always a trade off, unfortunately unless you can try one it can cost ya a few bucks.

I believe that I can easily adjust to a shaft similar to 314-2 or a shaft that offers lower deflection. I just prefer a solid hit, 12.5-12.75 tip diameter, and low deflection similar or better than 314-2 . You were right about the soft and hollow hit of 314-2. If it hits similar to hybrid pro II, it's perfect to my preference.

Last edited:

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member

Thank you.

314-2 to the 314-3 is a WHOPPING 4% reduction... I think OB found 14% when they moved to their new + shafts... I would have wanted more bang for my buck than 4% but I haven't don't the math as to what that means.. 4% in endmass may not even be but a gram since it was alread super low anyway.... Might be the difference in a new tip and a tip thats half way worn out..... Not saying that Predator doesn't make decent LD shafts... I played 20 years with them... Just saying I don't know that a 4% change is worth rolling out all of the 3s... But I have been wrong before....

jhun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
314-2 to the 314-3 is a WHOPPING 4% reduction... I think OB found 14% when they moved to their new + shafts... I would have wanted more bang for my buck than 4% but I haven't don't the math as to what that means.. 4% in endmass may not even be but a gram since it was alread super low anyway.... Might be the difference in a new tip and a tip thats half way worn out..... Not saying that Predator doesn't make decent LD shafts... I played 20 years with them... Just saying I don't know that a 4% change is worth rolling out all of the 3s... But I have been wrong before....

If the deflection reduced by 4%, it suits to my deflection preference. Does it hit hard similar to z2 and hybrid pro II?

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
If the deflection reduced by 4%, it suits to my deflection preference. Does it hit hard similar to z2 and hybrid pro II?

end mass is reduced 4% not sure what that equates to but doubt it's a straight 4% in deflection.... As far as how they hit.... That's an answer I cannot give you... I have hit a few shots with one but not enough to have formed an opinion.....

Rod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the ferrule on a 314-2 accounts for quite a bit of the hit. I realize hollow is what it is but a stiffer/harder ferrule would improve the hit. I guess the weight prohibits that change. Not sure but that's my guess. A 4% reduction sounds like it changed very little.

Eagleshot

Mark Nanashee
Silver Member
I guess you were right about the hit. Most of the mezz shafts hit better than predator shafts. Is it a lower deflection compared to 314-2?

I found the Ex Pro to be close to a Z2 in squirt / deflection. Take a look at the link in my first post. It is a comparison of many shafts.

I also played with 314-2 until recently. I found the OB Classic + to be a little less squirt than the 314-2 but, in my opinion, better feel.

For me, any lower squirt would be hard to adjust to. I like my bridge length in the 12.5 to 13.5" area.

plhlolelnlilx

F.I.S.H.
Silver Member
I smacked a rack of balls with a radial 314-3 and I was actually surprised by how good it hit. There's no doubt that if you're doing a direct comparison between the 314-2 and 314-3, there's a noticeable difference in feel. I didn't have a scale with me at the time but the 314-3 also felt lighter like it was hallowed all the way through.

I'm still indifferent.