Low deflection / Low squirt shaft comparison

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Here's another data point for your list - my custom-engineered low-squirt cue with a 10mm hollow tip, small thin ferrule and conical (stiff) taper has a pivot length of about 20 inches (carefully measured by the "aim and pivot" method at high shot speed to eliminate swerve).

pj
chgo

Eagleshot

Mark Nanashee
Silver Member
Here's another data point for your list - my custom-engineered low-squirt cue with a 10mm hollow tip, small thin ferrule and conical (stiff) taper has a pivot length of about 20 inches (carefully measured by the "aim and pivot" method at high shot speed to eliminate swerve).

pj
chgo

We'll call that a 1.5

A friend of mine has a similar shaft but his is 8mm (not hollow) conical taper, and I swear the thing doesn't squirt at all. It's all swerve. I think that's harder to adjust to.

It looks ridiculous.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
It's all swerve. I think that's harder to adjust to.
I agree that swerve is the more difficult factor to estimate in the squirt/swerve combination, but I don't know whether combined squirt/swerve is harder to estimate with less squirt. I suspect not because squirt is more of a "constant".

pj
chgo

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Still like to see a comparison not only between LD shafts but also standard maple shafts. Since some say it is all hype.

The hype may be that if you get an LD shaft you will automatically play better, the fact that they defect less is a fact. You need a shaft that will match how you aim and stoke the ball, not just one that has the least deflection.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Which Tiger shaft did you use? I hear the Tiger Pro X is very low squirt.

That may well have been that one and not the one you had listed, it had a small white ferrule, but I did not check the model, was probably about 12mm.

Eagleshot

Mark Nanashee
Silver Member
The hype may be that if you get an LD shaft you will automatically play better, the fact that they defect less is a fact. You need a shaft that will match how you aim and stoke the ball, not just one that has the least deflection.

This is the whole purpose of this thread. Personally, I could not play with the lowest squirt shafts I have listed. The bridge length would be too long for me. I like a bridge length between 12.5 and 13.5".

jburkm002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agreed. I have only recently switched full time to an LD shaft. Kinda like someone said. The best cue is the one you have been playing with for 20 years. Guess the question is. If you get a new cue and it doesn't have the same deflection as your old one. Would you want it to have more or less deflection? I got a new cue with maple shafts. Way to much deflection. So it kinda forced me to swith to an LD shaft.

Eagleshot

Mark Nanashee
Silver Member
*****This should not turn into a shaft bashing thread. High or low squirt / deflection does not mean good or bad shafts. This is only an attempt at helping those interested find the shafts most suited to the individual searching.

1 = minimal squirt / deflection. 10 = high squirt / deflection

These #'s are subjective but with enough input we can give a fairly accurate comparison.

Scale # - Brand - Model - Diameter - Pivot point"

1.5 - Custom - Patrick Johnson 10mm - 20
4.0 - OB - 2+ 11.75mm - ?
4.5 - OB - Pro + 11.75mm - ?
4.5 - Predator - Z-3 11.75mm - ?
4.5 - Mezz - WX 900 12mm. - ?
5.0 - Tiger - X Pro 11.75mm - ?
5.0 - Predator - Z2 11.75mm - 14
5.0 - Mezz - Ex Pro 12.5mm - ?
5.0 - Mezz - Hybrid Pro II 12.5mm - ?
5.5 - Predator - 314-3 12.75mm - ?
5.5 - OB - Classic + 12.75mm - 13.25
6.0 - Jacoby - Hybrid Edge 12.5mm - 12.75
6.0 - Predator - 314-2 12.75mm - 12.5
6.0 - Mezz - WD700 12.5mm - 12.5
6.5 - Players - HXT 12.75mm - 11.5
7.0 - Mezz - Hybrid Alpha 12.8mm - ?
9.0 - Tiger - Ultra X LD 12.75mm - 8
9.5 - Prather - 13mm reg. shaft - 7

**** the "?" For pivot point means we do not have the data, the shaft is listed based on best guess. We can update when data comes in.

Updated scale #'s closer representing pivot point data and based on user input.

Also updated on page 1

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
Is there a "tip" factor that fits into all this? Soft vs Hard, etc etc?
I feel like it's two different worlds when a hard tip is on a shaft and i swap it out for a soft mushy one.
It's goes from having no idea what is going on and how to aim, to being in control.
Surely squirt/deflection has some basis in the type of tip one uses?

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Is there a "tip" factor that fits into all this? Soft vs Hard, etc etc?
I feel like it's two different worlds when a hard tip is on a shaft and i swap it out for a soft mushy one.
It's goes from having no idea what is going on and how to aim, to being in control.
Surely squirt/deflection has some basis in the type of tip one uses?
FYI, this topic is covered in detail on the cue tip hardness effects resource page.

As shown in the following video and article, the type and hardness of tip doesn't seem to make much difference concerning squirt (CB deflection):

NV D.15 - Cue and Tip Testing for Cue Ball Deflection (Squirt)

"Cue Tip Squirt Testing" (BD, June, 2014)

Enjoy,
Dave

carter1984

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I noticed no mention of the Fury EXII Shafts in this thread anywhere. It would be nice to see how those compare

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bump

I think we need to add/update this list.

Freddie <~~~ Tiger Ultra X LD

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Anyone have a ferrule-less regular shaft that they can give a ranking within the first post's list?

I have several, but I haven't picked one of them up to test it in a while, and I'm not home, so CRS Syndrome prevents me from doing it myself.

Freddie <~~~ needs CRS pills

calibration

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Advantage

I am not attempting to skew this discussion but

I have played with many a great custom cue maker shafts but until I played with a VANTAGE predator I never could really determine a difference. This was an obvious difference... I aim and shoot no thinking needed