Custom Joint Protectors

THam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi, I wasn't sure if this post should be here or in another forum section. I am currently in the process of having a custom cue made by a local cuemaker, problem is I am having a hard time finding JPs for a radial pin (mass produced and custom), I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for custom JPs?

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Joint protectors

Hi, I wasn't sure if this post should be here or in another forum section. I am currently in the process of having a custom cue made by a local cuemaker, problem is I am having a hard time finding JPs for a radial pin (mass produced and custom), I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for custom JPs?

Your cue maker will not make you a set......... ????

AZB member Jim Baxter makes custom joint protectors ........

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Jimmy Baxter, or Alton Takata. Alton may be half retired and only doing a few jobs here and there.

Jimmy would be your best bet sure shot at getting a set, and quality also.

He can work with you for both design and matching woods etc.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Your cue maker will not make you a set......... ????

AZB member Jim Baxter makes custom joint protectors ........

Mike, a lot of makers don't like to make joint prots because it's a royal pain in the a$$.... Jim is a good choice or Alton Tanaka (CueCaps here on AZ) who is the choice of many collectors...

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Joint protectors

Mike, a lot of makers don't like to make joint prots because it's a royal pain in the a$$.... Jim is a good choice or Alton Tanaka (CueCaps here on AZ) who is the choice of many collectors...

I didn't know that, I assumed that all custom cue makers did make they're own JP"s
thank you for that info....

Jim Baxter is solid people, I do not know Alton Tanaka but if you suggest him then he must be really good too..

Last edited:

soon2bsleeved

Registered
Custom JP's

I recently ordered a set from Jim Baxter for my Predator 8K..

Jim was great to work with and provided a great product..

I will try to post pics.

Thanks
JC

Attachments

• IMG_20160120_000529.jpg
    IMG_20160120_000529.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 846
  • IMG_20160120_000418.jpg
    IMG_20160120_000418.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 849

whatevrdoumean

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There used to be a guy on eBay that did custom JP's. I think he went by pipe something. I have not seen them lately though. Maybe he doesn't do hem anymore. Michael

ADAM HENSON

---🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟--
Silver Member
There used to be a guy on eBay that did custom JP's. I think he went by pipe something. I have not seen them lately though. Maybe he doesn't do hem anymore. Michael

Pipe1976 he's here also, Jim Baxter too as mentioned;)

THam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, he's a local guy named Lew Stone and I haven't seen him making in JPs in his shop. Thank you all for quick replies and good suggestions. Anyone know Jim Baxter's name on here? Is it just his name or how can I find him to pm him?

Last edited:

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
I didn't know that, I assumed that all custom cue makers did make they're own JP"s

II know Jim Baxter threw here and some transactions with him and we know some of the same people.

Jim Baxter is solid people, I do not know Alton Tanaka but if you suggest him then he must be really good person.

Check out Alton's site... He's does amazing work...

http://www.cuecaps.com

HoldemRw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a delrin cheap set radial Jps. For 15.00 shipped 1 butt 2 shafts.

Also have this ebony ivory and silver set that is 1 butt 2 shafts also. I would sell for 60.00 shipped. Not sure what color ur cue is. The top 2 sets are the radial pin sets. Pm me if interested might save u sometime if they match ur cue already

2dfdb3a569d2ff389a73f86fa1c3035a.jpg

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Jim Baxter made these for my Josey...

Attachments

• IMG_1131.jpg
    IMG_1131.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 1,080

ADAM HENSON

---🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟--
Silver Member
Yeah, he's a local guy named Lew Stone and I haven't seen him making in JPs in his shop. Thank you all for quick replies and good suggestions. Anyone know Jim Baxter's name on here? Is it just his name or how can I find him to pm him?

His name is the same..Jim Baxter

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Joint protectors

Check out Alton's site... He's does amazing work...

http://www.cuecaps.com

My hat is off to Alton's design ............. very original and great looking.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Alton is the king when it comes to custom protectors......but Jim Baxter is very accomodating and does great work and is trustworthy and on that last note, all the more reason to avoid pipe1976 (Lonnie.Wilbur)......I got screwed out of $125 by refunding Ray Feliciano for a protector set Pipe1976 was going to make for my Joss West cue that I sold Ray. Lonnie hadn't yet stated the set which I had paid for in advance and I had previously ordered prior sets from Lonnie without any problems. Since I included the cost of the protector set in the cue price. I told Ray to work directly with Lonnie on the design he wanted. Well, after the sale, Ray contacts me and said he had received the protector set from Lonnie & it was poorly made. i.e., major flaws. I had never had that experience with Lonnie and so I gave Ray back the $125 since it was included in the cue sales price.

I informed Lonnie about the set before refunding Ray $125 since I thought it was best he handle the refund. Lonnie said he didn't have the funds available at that moment because of a inventory purchase he had just made. I told Lonnie I would just have Ray return the set and I'd refund the $125 I paid Lonnie for that set. As I was getting a new cue after my upcoming rotator cuff surgery, I would simply have Lonnie make a set for that cue and we'd call it all even. Well, I had surgery, buy the cue and Lonnie disappears on me despite repeated attempts to reach him. So after a year of not hearing back, I started demanding a refund.......more years go by and still no word from Lonnie and nary a red cent either. Based upon my financial loss from doing business with Lonnie, I suggest my fellow Azers should heed........CAVEAT EMPTOR w/Pipe1976.

Matt B.

63Kcode

AKA Larry Vigus
Silver Member

Jim Baxter is solid people, I do not know Alton Tanaka but if you suggest him then he must be really good too..

If I had to make JPs for cues I make. I would give up making cues. I hate them that much!

Jim Baxter is really good at making them!

Larry

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
JP's

If I had to make JPs for cues I make. I would give up making cues. I hate them that much!

Jim Baxter is really good at making them!

Larry

I agree Jim Baxter does a great job.

It really doesn't bother me to make Joint protectors, but I am not tooled up to do every style of joint.
After thinking about your feelings on you not liking to make JP's I have to laugh because JP.s isn't my most favorite thing to make either...........