TV Chalky Sticks

Joe Pickens

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just curious so maybe Chalky Sticks can answer my question. With so many matches to choose from on You Tube why does Chalky Sticks show numerous matches over and over? Is that just the way the programming is set up or is there a way to change which match is showing?

mattkenefick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is something I noticed as well. The programming schedule is getting better though. Right now we randomize the order of videos every night and start it again. This was because we didn't have a lot of videos to watch at first, but now we do. The order will start to get better over time.

Some of the new content may be playing at off hours. Some may look similar but actually be different events or years.

Either way, I've noticed also and will try to ensure a little more randomness to it. It'll take a little bit of time though.

Thanks for watching though! :)
Hang in there!

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First time I am hearing about this Chalky Sticks thing, website looks great, going to check out the phone app now.

What is the logo based on? It's well designed but can't tell if there is a pool reference in it or not.

mattkenefick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First time I am hearing about this Chalky Sticks thing, website looks great, going to check out the phone app now.

What is the logo based on? It's well designed but can't tell if there is a pool reference in it or not.

Thanks. It was a combination of "P" for pool, a corner pocket, and a map marker. The original idea for ChalkySticks was to find pool tables wherever you are and was based around a map (kinda like https://map.chalkysticks.com)

It has since evolved into more things, but it's about finding pool. So.. map marker, P, pocket.. I'm not much of a logo designer.

bazkook

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First time hearing about Chalky Sticks. I just downloaded the app. Seems like a neat idea.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks. It was a combination of "P" for pool, a corner pocket, and a map marker. The original idea for ChalkySticks was to find pool tables wherever you are and was based around a map (kinda like https://map.chalkysticks.com)

It has since evolved into more things, but it's about finding pool. So.. map marker, P, pocket.. I'm not much of a logo designer.

I thought it may have been a C with a pool cue shaft or something.

Few notes, since this is for finding pool tables and games, is there a way to add an icon to the locations listing for places with a pool table or not? I notices some have a glass, some have an 8 ball, but in the description of those places, the 8 ball ones do not have pool tables listed all the time.

I see a way to add notes about the location, but don't see a way to view them on the listing. Do they show up under Details after review? A big thing I wanted to get to just locations is notes about how good the tables and the place actually is. There may be 100 bars with a table, but out of those probably only 10 or less where a real player would want to play. That's actually a shortcoming with every other pool hall locator I've seen, they are either out of date by 10 years, or don't have much info. This app is great since it's easy to update details on it rather than going through some email submission.

mattkenefick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought it may have been a C with a pool cue shaft or something.

Few notes, since this is for finding pool tables and games, is there a way to add an icon to the locations listing for places with a pool table or not? I notices some have a glass, some have an 8 ball, but in the description of those places, the 8 ball ones do not have pool tables listed all the time.

I see a way to add notes about the location, but don't see a way to view them on the listing. Do they show up under Details after review? A big thing I wanted to get to just locations is notes about how good the tables and the place actually is. There may be 100 bars with a table, but out of those probably only 10 or less where a real player would want to play. That's actually a shortcoming with every other pool hall locator I've seen, they are either out of date by 10 years, or don't have much info. This app is great since it's easy to update details on it rather than going through some email submission.

95%+ of locations in this system should have pool tables. There are currently 3,038 confirmed locations with pool tables and plenty more that haven't been personally verified yet.

The map (https://map.chalkysticks.com) has a clearer indicator if a place has photos. If the item on the map is grey, it doesn't have a photo. If it's blue, it's a bar with a table+photos. If it's green, it's a pool hall (most likely).

8 ball = Pool Hall
Glass icon = Bar
Building = Hotel

The notes about the location are sent to me for review. I receive an email about them and see them listed in my content management system (see below). There are a lot of details I do add, but there are also a lot of details I ignore. Things like prices, table quality, and special deals are usually ignored because they're subject to change frequently. If a table is rated as "Poor Quality," it could easily be replaced next month.. but the listing wouldn't be updated. Having 5000+ listings with subjective data like prices + felt quality would be impossible to keep up to date by myself (I'm the only person building all of this).. and I don't think that'd be fair to the pool hall/bar to list things like "Poor Quality" even after they have updated their equipment. It would make ChalkySticks look like a jerk :)

There are a bunch of photos of each place so you can get an idea of what environment you're getting yourself into. I don't know what part of the country you're from, but check out NYC here: https://map.chalkysticks.com/?search=new york, ny

Click on a few pins and you'll notice almost all of them have images so you can see what the table and area around it looks like.

Rm6SzV4.jpg

stutz

did you call that?
Silver Member
On my home pc I can watch a variety of pool, snooker and 3 cushion matches. On iPhone I can only watch one match without other options? Is this common?

mattkenefick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On my home pc I can watch a variety of pool, snooker and 3 cushion matches. On iPhone I can only watch one match without other options? Is this common?

Yeah, the whole idea of the channel guide is a fairly new concept for ChalkySticks. For a while, TV was just one channel of all mixed content the way you see it in mobile. A few weeks ago I designed up a channel guide I liked and started to implement it.

I need to re-work the design to work well on mobile. It's too large/bulky as it stands to work well on mobile... so I just had it disabled until I can come up with something better.

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is something I noticed as well. The programming schedule is getting better though. Right now we randomize the order of videos every night and start it again. This was because we didn't have a lot of videos to watch at first, but now we do. The order will start to get better over time.

Some of the new content may be playing at off hours. Some may look similar but actually be different events or years.

Either way, I've noticed also and will try to ensure a little more randomness to it. It'll take a little bit of time though.

Thanks for watching though! :)
Hang in there!

I go to the videos but can’t get back to the table of contents in the app. Forever in videoland. What’s the secret?