still looking for the right cues /dale perry

MANPUSS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i had a question bout dale perry , was once a good maker ? and why are his cues cheap as hell now on ebay? i know a small bit but not the whole story . i do not want because im leary of certain cues , but whats his story . i know here people hate him .

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I do not hate Dale, he is selling Cues on E-bay because it work for him. Buddy play with a DP Cue he got off eBay, he like the Cue. Guess I would say the guy is happy.

ShootingHank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dale Perry is good because he made them unless you want to get a shit cue like JP, Jackpot Cues.

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dale's cues are made USA....Dale is member American cue makers assn.
I bought 1 ,pawn shop-several years ago- kind of rough quality-BUt, Man that cue played GREAT!
1st person I showed in the pool hall bought it"
I have bought several New , off of ebay
All have been great playing cues-
just amazing deal and quality certainly improved over the years-
Dale used to make expensive cues way back 1990's
but I guess from more and more builders coming along,
got the idea to go production-
So his expensive cues lost value.
I don't think deliberately,
he, just like all of us-
Trying to come up with some way to keep working and make some money.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am beginning to think you are looking for a vacation.

Maybe you should find some other thing to talk about.

Besides beating something to death.

I agree.

He is like a kid on the playground, trying to impress the older kids.

I bought a Dale Perry online once for $139, but I didn't buy it until I called Dale directly and talked to him. He was a real nice guy to me, but some people don't like him for some reason. He kept me on the phone BSing for about an hour. I didn't keep him from his work, like a lot of cue makers complain about. He was keeping me. Maybe he was bored and sitting around and watching all his machines do the work.

I don't know how much of what I've heard is correct, but I've heard that Dale was one of the first makers to get really high-tech computerized machinery where he didn't have to spend all day doing things by hand. I think I heard he imported a lot of machinery from Germany. Somebody else can correct that or, add to it, if you know something.

Whatever the case, Dale was able to "whip out" cues at a much faster rate than most other people. That allowed him to reduce his prices and make his income off of quantity and not having to worry about making 25 hand-made cues in a year. He could make more money letting his machines crank the stuff out.

That is when the people who bought the custom cues that he had made before started b1tching, because his name was now associated with cheap, mass production cues, instead of high dollar customs.

Dale doesn't give a shit what anybody thinks. He makes quality cues for the money and he sells enough to maintain his lifestyle, whatever that is.

When I was going to have him convert a cue for me years ago, he gave me a lot of advice on having it done and told me where to have it done and what to watch out for. So, I have no problem with Dale or his cues.

I banged around with the cue I got from him and then sold it for exactly what I paid for it to a guy who wanted it. It was still new and I was just wanting to see how they were built and played.

I really liked the butt of the cue, the wrap, and the balance, but the shaft wasn't the best of woods. The taper was good, but the wood felt a bit grainy and I could never sand it down to get it as slick as my other shafts. It had a bit of deflection, too. But, for $139, it was a good deal.

I know a couple of guys who use Dale Perry butts with REVOs and they play as good as any other butt on a REVO.

Last edited:
i had a question bout dale perry , was once a good maker ? and why are his cues cheap as hell now on ebay? i know a small bit but not the whole story . i do not want because im leary of certain cues , but whats his story . i know here people hate him .

I think he was once a great cue maker, even though he made his cues using CNC inlay machines, and all his points and inlays were always rounded off, and not sharp. I think they were very high quality cues, up until he started mass producing them in large numbers, and selling them on ebay.

If you ever find a DP cue with a Uni Loc joint, then I highly recommend that you buy it, if the price is reasonable.

His Uni Loc cues were made before he started building cues in much larger numbers, and auctioning then off on ebay.

His Uni Loc / quick release joint cues were made up until around 2003 (from what I have read), and were really good quality, in my opinion, based on my experience with them.

His newer cues, made after around 2003, have always had a Radial Pin joint, and in my experience with several of those Radial Pin / ebay cues, they were not very good quality, in my opinion.

I did have one of his newer cues, that came with his Stage 4 shaft, and I actually like the way it played. It hit pretty nice.

Still not in the same league as a few of his Uni Loc cues that I had in the past, which I felt were much higher quality, and hit so much nicer, in my opinion.

Anyways, I would love to have another older Uni Loc DP cue some day, because I really enjoyed the way it played. The resale value on even his older high quality cues is horrible though. I regrettably sold the last one I had for $200. Really loved that cue.

I seen some seller had the same cue that I sold (at least it appeared to be the same exact cue), and was asking like $600 for it, but I do not think it will ever sell for anything near what he was asking for the cue.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Lot of people who just want their own stick to play pool with are fine with a DP Cue. Reason is it familiar, and not like the new experience of pick a house Cue and then trying to adjust to it.

I would rather have $1.00 in my pocket for every Cue sold in the USA in 2019 Under $200.00. Then $20.00 for every Cue sold in the USA the same year over $1.0000.00.

Think DP understands there is a market for a US Made Price Point Cues, e-bay gives him a vehicle to make sale, and repeat customers. Think he has a lucrative market based upon volume.

Last edited:

ChrisSjoblom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought a Dale Perry cue off eBay about a year ago after reading a lot of the discussion on here about him. As is my usual MO I wanted to see for myself what kind of quality they were, and at well under $200 (Mine was like $149 when the bidding ended) there wasn't much to lose.

I had initially thought I would shoot with it a bit then raffle it off during the course of the league season. Soon after receiving it and having shot several practice sessions and a couple league matches with it I knew I wasn't letting it go. This is now my favorite cue, displacing a Sailor cue that I value a lot as well. I have six other cues that I have held on to through the years, all of which play well for me, but this is the best playing cue of the bunch.

I have to say that I'm not entirely in love with the look of most of the DP cues I see on eBay, but mine looks just fine (turquoise and black on maple). In my opinion, if you are looking for a real bargain on a great playing cue, and you can find a style that you like, or at least can live with, you won't go far wrong with one of Dale's eBay cues.

I would like to add that I recently noticed that DP started doing wrapless cues, which I never noticed before with his ebay cues, and I think some of them look really nice.

I really like this one, that recently ended.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dale-Perry...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Like I said, his Stage 4 shafts do hit really nice and have a nice long Pro taper, in my experience with them, and in my opinion.

I would have to say that his cues are the best value out there for an American made cue.

I bought a Dale Perry cue off eBay about a year ago after reading a lot of the discussion on here about him. As is my usual MO I wanted to see for myself what kind of quality they were, and at well under $200 (Mine was like $149 when the bidding ended) there wasn't much to lose.

I had initially thought I would shoot with it a bit then raffle it off during the course of the league season. Soon after receiving it and having shot several practice sessions and a couple league matches with it I knew I wasn't letting it go. This is now my favorite cue, displacing a Sailor cue that I value a lot as well. I have six other cues that I have held on to through the years, all of which play well for me, but this is the best playing cue of the bunch.

I have to say that I'm not entirely in love with the look of most of the DP cues I see on eBay, but mine looks just fine (turquoise and black on maple). In my opinion, if you are looking for a real bargain on a great playing cue, and you can find a style that you like, or at least can live with, you won't go far wrong with one of Dale's eBay cues.

Yeah, and you will not lose much (if any) money if you ever need to sell it, or want to sell it for any reason.

The Stage 4 shafts were a great idea, to offer with all his ebay cues. They are good shafts.

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
his ebay cues are trash, I bought one a few years ago and it played terrible, it felt cheap

and it looked cheap. ironically, I had a fury sneaky pete the one with green veneers I

bought off a guy for 40 dollars but the shaft was warped so I put on the dale perry shaft

on it and it was the best cue I ever had, I played great with that cue, the combination of

his shaft and that cheap butt worked for some reason. the only thing I hated about it and

it drove me nuts was that the shaft was a little bigger at the joint, so I spend money to

have it fixed and make it flush, what happened, the cue played totally different and like

shit. the tiniest changes can make or break a cue. I was shocked.

anyway, people who hate him are the guys that paid him $2000 for a custom cue and

when he went on ebay the values of his cues fell to shit.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm completely the type that believes that a stick is a tool and not a fashion/designer statement, and with that said, a few years back several people had some of these and they all hit pretty well. One of them was even at 17.5oz, which I find to be very light in the fasion/designer/expensive world of sticks. I'm not sure where they acquired them, but the owners were happy.

I'm not trying to be anti-promotional of custom sticks, but I'm finding that most sticks people rave about spending big money on wouldn't be distinguishable in a full blind test. It's kind of awkward when someone excited and wide eyed hands you a $5000 stick to try, and when you try it.... I guess you just have to be happy they're happy.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've played with/owned about 5-6 DP cues. Have to be the best deal in pool. Gives Schmelke's at LEAST the 6ball. Surprised that dude in Dallas isn't hawking these yet. Oh yeah i forgot, Dale is smart enough to sell direct.