Help buying first cue

Enigma86

Registered
[/B]

He probably got so confused he took up bowling.

Haha, the funny part about that is that I got started in this league by meeting a guy in a social bowling league who invited me. But yeah, I was getting pretty confused for a while.

Ok, so update. I have purchased a cue! I want to thank everybody once again for all the input. I think I have made a good decision. I embraced what a lot of people said to stay cheap on this. And ultimately I ended up agreeing because honestly, it's not my budget that is really holding me back, more that I really can't see forking 600 dollars on something when I don't know what I'm getting for that money. I need to play more and handle more cues. So I think getting myself as much exposure is best and that means I can't be shelling several hundred on each cue.

I got alerted to a Mcdermott G401 on Facebook for 175. Talked to the guy and he seemed over eager to explain every tiny mark on the cue, so I feel confident that he's not selling me something warped or bad. It's a 12.3 mm tip with the original Navigator black tip on it (don't know hardness). A little small in diameter for what I was trying to go but I'm sure I can learn it and I'll be grateful for the easier english. And a 3/8 x10 joint.

It should show up today and I'm excited. My tip tool, cloth, and everything else with the exception of the bag are already here waiting.

I'm also still pursuing the Lucasi butt on facebook (asked to drop the price), and the 40 dollar purex (hasn't replied). I figure for a cheap price I can get myself 2 more cues to play around with and have as backups (maybe turn the lucasi into a breaker). This gives me the most exposure to the lowest price. Also, it makes it to where I didn't invest full price into any of them and brings my resale % ratio higher.

I'll also start asking the other teams we play if I can take some practice shots with their cues to further figure it all out.

My goal is to finish out the season, figure out where I land. I found a pool hall 15 minutes away that does free table time from 12-2 which I can make about 1 or 2 times a week. With some practice and a cue that I put time in with where I know my shots a lot better, I think I'll climb. If I can accomplish that then I think in a year or 2 I might look to make a stronger investment.

Definitely need the time in though. Played a 6 this week and went 2-0 on him to start by having to make about 10 bank shots/kicks. (both 8 ball shots included) (so far only guy I've seen in the league that once he gets behind a ball or two and doesn't have a great shot switches into safety only mode) I was happy that I had decided to watch a bunch of youtube videos on kicks and banks that week haha. But then I just choked. Missed about 7 of the easiest, most frustrating misses ever to just hand him 3 straight games. Next two games were better but he was able to take them as well.

All in all though, I still felt ok. I had to remember that I played the whole match without a draw shot as an option which is hard on me as somebody who probably relies on draw shots too much. Next week though, that won't be a problem. :thumbup:

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
Haha, the funny part about that is that I got started in this league by meeting a guy in a social bowling league who invited me. But yeah, I was getting pretty confused for a while.

Ok, so update. I have purchased a cue! I want to thank everybody once again for all the input. I think I have made a good decision. I embraced what a lot of people said to stay cheap on this. And ultimately I ended up agreeing because honestly, it's not my budget that is really holding me back, more that I really can't see forking 600 dollars on something when I don't know what I'm getting for that money. I need to play more and handle more cues. So I think getting myself as much exposure is best and that means I can't be shelling several hundred on each cue.

I got alerted to a Mcdermott G401 on Facebook for 175. Talked to the guy and he seemed over eager to explain every tiny mark on the cue, so I feel confident that he's not selling me something warped or bad. It's a 12.3 mm tip with the original Navigator black tip on it (don't know hardness). A little small in diameter for what I was trying to go but I'm sure I can learn it and I'll be grateful for the easier english. And a 3/8 x10 joint.

It should show up today and I'm excited. My tip tool, cloth, and everything else with the exception of the bag are already here waiting.

I'm also still pursuing the Lucasi butt on facebook (asked to drop the price), and the 40 dollar purex (hasn't replied). I figure for a cheap price I can get myself 2 more cues to play around with and have as backups (maybe turn the lucasi into a breaker). This gives me the most exposure to the lowest price. Also, it makes it to where I didn't invest full price into any of them and brings my resale % ratio higher.

I'll also start asking the other teams we play if I can take some practice shots with their cues to further figure it all out.

My goal is to finish out the season, figure out where I land. I found a pool hall 15 minutes away that does free table time from 12-2 which I can make about 1 or 2 times a week. With some practice and a cue that I put time in with where I know my shots a lot better, I think I'll climb. If I can accomplish that then I think in a year or 2 I might look to make a stronger investment.

Definitely need the time in though. Played a 6 this week and went 2-0 on him to start by having to make about 10 bank shots/kicks. (both 8 ball shots included) (so far only guy I've seen in the league that once he gets behind a ball or two and doesn't have a great shot switches into safety only mode) I was happy that I had decided to watch a bunch of youtube videos on kicks and banks that week haha. But then I just choked. Missed about 7 of the easiest, most frustrating misses ever to just hand him 3 straight games. Next two games were better but he was able to take them as well.

All in all though, I still felt ok. I had to remember that I played the whole match without a draw shot as an option which is hard on me as somebody who probably relies on draw shots too much. Next week though, that won't be a problem. :thumbup:

The McDermott seems fair if it's the one on seyberts I saw new for 450. Looks like it comes with a G core shaft which has 7" carbon fiber insert, so it's more of an ld shaft compared to standard maple.

Last edited:

Enigma86

Registered
The McDermott seems fair if it's the one on seyberts I saw new for 450. Looks like it comes with a G core shaft which has 7" carbon fiber insert, so it's more of an ld shaft compared to standard maple.

That is correct. Yeah I read some conversations about those shafts and how they aren't really LD. But I've watched video tests of it and it's not terrible. Deflected 1 inch slow, 1.5 medium speed, and 2.5-3 on fast speed. I'm not worried about it. I'm stuck on 7 foot tables at the moment and rarely am putting much side english beyond about 3 feet. I want to see if I can work towards beating everybody in this league... if I do that then I might look for tournaments which would be when I'll really look to up the performance of the cue.

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you want to see how McDermott cues are made, check out this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T2pXa9znwY

Also, for some more info on Pechauer cues, someone recently posted the following:

A company like Pechauer bought its own timberland, selects and then harvests its own trees, processes them in its own lumberyard, cures the wood in its own kilns. Built a machine shop and makes all screws, joints, etc. in house. There are bad custom cuemakers, and great large companies with terrific QC and attention to detail. Sure there are differences, but playability is subjective.

----

Well...???!

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
If you want to see how McDermott cues are made, check out this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T2pXa9znwY

Well...???!

And here is another different and longer video about the McDermott manufacturing process if the OP of anybody else is interested. I'm sure some of the processes and technology has been updated even more since this time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqbFr8xnYEc

I also am curious to hear an update on the OP's impressions and experiences with his new cue.

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been to the McDermott showroom and have toured the manufacturing facility and it is a sight. I am going there in three weeks as well. Can't wait to see any updates to the facility.

Enigma86

Registered
And here is another different and longer video about the McDermott manufacturing process if the OP of anybody else is interested. I'm sure some of the processes and technology has been updated even more since this time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqbFr8xnYEc

I also am curious to hear an update on the OP's impressions and experiences with his new cue.

Sorry I fell off. I had a test coming up for a job related certification I had to take so I needed to focus on cramming last minute. I really like the cue, honestly more than I thought I would. It's beautiful with the inlayed wood grains.

It plays well. I still don't have many preferences like others have said but I can definitely play well with it and the cue ball control has definitely improved. I was also surprised, despite the g series shafts not being really LD it doesn't deflect very much. I've been able to take some accurate english shots. Actually had a beautiful one to win a match last week. the 12.3mm tip hasn't ended up being too small what so ever. I actually think I like it. The consistency has helped me outline where there are flaws in my stroke, rather than wondering if I was being held back by the equipment.

The only thing I haven't been that happy with is the tip. It seems to become glossy and lose it's ability to hold chalk. It came with one of mcdermotts navigator blacks but I don't know the hardness. But I've had some miscues. I made a tip change myself to a kitech soft. First time changing a tip, it went OK... not perfect. There isn't a big following on them and I know their single layer and wasnt what people recommended but the people I could find that had experience with them really loved them a lot and said miscues were entirely non existent. I haven't had a chance to play with it yet so I don't know.

Other than that though my play has certainly gone up a bit. 2 weeks ago I was on the hill against a 6, but lost because of getting too confident on my bank shots and scratched when I had command of the game. Last week I won 4-2 against a 5. Quite frankly though, I should be winning these matches a little more handily.

Been having some issues that I can't quite figure out. I found a pool hall that does free pool from 12-2 every day so I make it down there on mondays. I've been figuring some things out and improving cue ball control and such and becoming more confident on the shots that used to be automatic.Have no issues sinking balls. But when I go play matches at these bars, I can't hardly make a single ball for at least about 2 games. I end up getting behind almost every time because even the simplest shots I'm screwing up. The lights in those places are so dim theres shadows all over the table and I think It's taking me a while to adjust from the broad daylight I'm used to. Does anybody else have that issue? Anybody know a remedy outside of just showing up an hour early? Once I get the adjustment down I start taking control but I'd rather just start that way.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry I fell off. I had a test coming up for a job related certification I had to take so I needed to focus on cramming last minute. I really like the cue, honestly more than I thought I would. It's beautiful with the inlayed wood grains.

It plays well. I still don't have many preferences like others have said but I can definitely play well with it and the cue ball control has definitely improved. I was also surprised, despite the g series shafts not being really LD it doesn't deflect very much. I've been able to take some accurate english shots. Actually had a beautiful one to win a match last week. the 12.3mm tip hasn't ended up being too small what so ever. I actually think I like it. The consistency has helped me outline where there are flaws in my stroke, rather than wondering if I was being held back by the equipment.

The only thing I haven't been that happy with is the tip. It seems to become glossy and lose it's ability to hold chalk. It came with one of mcdermotts navigator blacks but I don't know the hardness. But I've had some miscues. I made a tip change myself to a kitech soft. First time changing a tip, it went OK... not perfect. There isn't a big following on them and I know their single layer and wasnt what people recommended but the people I could find that had experience with them really loved them a lot and said miscues were entirely non existent. I haven't had a chance to play with it yet so I don't know.

Other than that though my play has certainly gone up a bit. 2 weeks ago I was on the hill against a 6, but lost because of getting too confident on my bank shots and scratched when I had command of the game. Last week I won 4-2 against a 5. Quite frankly though, I should be winning these matches a little more handily.

Been having some issues that I can't quite figure out. I found a pool hall that does free pool from 12-2 every day so I make it down there on mondays. I've been figuring some things out and improving cue ball control and such and becoming more confident on the shots that used to be automatic.Have no issues sinking balls. But when I go play matches at these bars, I can't hardly make a single ball for at least about 2 games. I end up getting behind almost every time because even the simplest shots I'm screwing up. The lights in those places are so dim theres shadows all over the table and I think It's taking me a while to adjust from the broad daylight I'm used to. Does anybody else have that issue? Anybody know a remedy outside of just showing up an hour early? Once I get the adjustment down I start taking control but I'd rather just start that way.

Are you playing in the league because it's the only pool action around you or because you want to get that league trophy and trip to wherever? If you don't like the places they play in, find another place to play. I have stopped playing league quite often due to the bad quality of the tables and places some of them are in. If the goal is to play pool and get better there is no harm at all in quitting league and finding some better players and places to play in. You also said none of the players on your team have their own cues, that seems a bit odd and not a good sign that the team is put together right. Normally there is one or a few experienced players on a team to coach, and I've never run across a team where the better players did not have their own cues. Of course now that you have your own cue you are the king of them all LOL so maybe you are the coach there?

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It came with one of mcdermotts navigator blacks but I don't know the hardness.
According to billiardwarehouse, the stock tip is a Navigator Black Medium. Of course, the original owner could have chosen a different tip when ordering.

Enigma86

Registered
Are you playing in the league because it's the only pool action around you or because you want to get that league trophy and trip to wherever? If you don't like the places they play in, find another place to play. I have stopped playing league quite often due to the bad quality of the tables and places some of them are in. If the goal is to play pool and get better there is no harm at all in quitting league and finding some better players and places to play in. You also said none of the players on your team have their own cues, that seems a bit odd and not a good sign that the team is put together right. Normally there is one or a few experienced players on a team to coach, and I've never run across a team where the better players did not have their own cues. Of course now that you have your own cue you are the king of them all LOL so maybe you are the coach there?

I'm playing in the league because a guy I met in a bowling league invited me. I love pool and had always thought of playing more competitively so I was game. Just turned out that everybody on the team are friends of his/roommates, and they are all pretty much just beginners. I think they've played maybe 2 seasons. I think we have two 2s , two 3s, and a 4, and I'm still currently a 5.

No the team is definitely not put together "right" lol. It's really really social for them. After all of the comments on this thread I have been trying to turn them on to schmelkes but I'm starting to get the impression that these guys aren't ever gonna bring themselves to invest.

I tried to get practices started but really all they want to do is just play each other, never any drills or real practicing.

I don't mind playing socially I guess. But I really hate losing in pool. Lol. I don't mind losing other things but I have a weird ultra competitiveness in pool. Mainly because if I lose I can find several ways I really beat myself, my opponent didn't beat me.

I'm thinking of finding something to kinda scratch my more competitive itch with. Somewhere with zero slop, call your pocket. I hate slop. I've almost gone as far as to give my opponent the turn when I've accidentally dropped an unintended ball because I hate it so much. One of our 3s is the luckiest people I've ever met on a pool table and can't even grasp the idea that if we ever played without slop, he wouldn't stand a chance. I think it hinders people's development.

But outside of that I just got done with my practice with the new tip. It doesn't look pretty but I feel good shooting with it. I was able to set a ball about 6 inches outside a corner pocket, cue ball a little further back than mid table, and execute draw shots that went full table into the short rail. So the tip is giving me more confidence on my placement. Just gotta figure out speed. Most often mistake is under/overestimating the amount of power.