Earl Strickland in the Star News

worriedbeef

The Voice of Reason
Silver Member
great article. interesting about his lack of an invite to the predator 10 ball as well - at least i'm assuming he wasnt invited.

Wish the piece went into more detail about the things he said regarding his equipment, and his recent cue revelations.

Also he makes a great point when he said: "If you could play the way I do," Strickland said, "you would never want to quit playing. ..." - So true. I swear it must be the greatest feeling in the world to be able to play that good and just put balls into pockets that sweetly.

Earl's a legend. Enough said!

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
worriedbeef said:
Also he makes a great point when he said: "If you could play the way I do," Strickland said, "you would never want to quit playing. ..." - So true. I swear it must be the greatest feeling in the world to be able to play that good and just put balls into pockets that sweetly.

Earl's a legend. Enough said!

I completely agree.

Earl can do/say no wrong in my eyes! GO EARL!

axejunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Awesome, what a quote. I have a list of great athletes' quotes, humorous or serious, and this one's getting added to it.

Tim-n-NM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I freaking love Earl Strickland. He will always be my favorite player. Like him or hate him. There will never be another Earl(the pearl)Stickland. I bought his dvd from Gullassy and I really enjoyed his stories.

Terry Ardeno

I still love my wife
Silver Member
Tim-n-NM said:
I freaking love Earl Strickland. He will always be my favorite player. Like him or hate him. There will never be another Earl(the pearl)Stickland. I bought his dvd from Gullassy and I really enjoyed his stories.

Tim-n-NM,
Not doubting you affinity for Earl in the least. BUT, just for semantics sake, a bona-fide Strickland fan should never put words like "Like him or hate him" in a thread. Better, I think, would be "love him or love him a lot". Even the semi-toned down "like him or love him" better reflects how all of us Earl fans feel!
:D :D :D

bfdlad

T-Wheels
Silver Member
I'm glad to see people getting behind Earl, He deserves it. His problem or his atribute is that he says whats on his mind and make no doubts you always know where you stand with him. I guess once you have nothing more to prove to anyone except yourself in your chosen profession you get the pass on saying whats on your mind. A great Champion and Legend,

Chesscat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He says no one would play him on 4 inch pockets. What a thing for a 9-ball player to say. The best pocketers on the planet have to be the snooker players. guys like Davis and Drago. That's the bottom line.

ccn7

Ole Pool Fool
Silver Member
That was great reading for sure. Everytime i read stuff like that about Earl just gives me chills. One of the Greatest ever. Thanks for sharing. Hey Terry your right, you either love him or you love him alot. :)

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
Chesscat said:
He says no one would play him on 4 inch pockets. What a thing for a 9-ball player to say. The best pocketers on the planet have to be the snooker players. guys like Davis and Drago. That's the bottom line.
Thats what Earl plays on at home so he is used to it,he is a natural with a phenom stroke,i think even though snooker players play on small pockets they dont know the game of 9 ball like Earl,look at Ronnie O playing the IPT. :)

Rybord

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was really surprised that it even made the paper. Earl was here a while back and they did a tourney to determine who would play a match with him.

The only other one I've seen was in the paper the August 14, 1945 edition my father saved with the headline:

" JAP ACCEPTANCE NOTE ON WAY TO PRESIDENT "

and on page 3 a small article titled

" Billiard Champ Will Play Here On August 20th "

Ralph Greenleaf world pocket billiard champion will play an unannounced local opponent at the Brunswick Billiards Parlor.

I gotta go to the library to see if there's a follow up article.

worriedbeef

The Voice of Reason
Silver Member
Chesscat said:

we're on about pool here mate - different game to snooker.

Snooker players wouldn't be any better than Earl - Or Shane, or Archer or Efren for that matter on a pool table with 4 inch pockets.

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
thanks for the link. Im definitely in the pro Earl camp and I wish I lived in Greensboro so I could play him. If he really is practicing that many hours a day, there has to be good opportunities to play him.

"When I'm 60, I'll be robbing every one of ya," he said. "I'll be here like a court date. I've seen a lot of people come and go."

Gotta love Earl, thats classic stuff...i can even hear him saying that with his accent.