Phil Spudich has passed...

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
About thirty minutes ago I received a call from one of the young ladies at Billiards Sports Bar and Grill (nee: Billiards of Springfield), and learned that it's owner, Phil Spudich, had died yesterday.
Little else is known at this time, but it appears to be a heart attack..
Phil has owned Billiards since the mid-eighties, as well as other pool rooms in Columbia, Mo. I've known Phil, and his wife Maggie, for some sixteen years and had always enjoyed their company. We were good friends. Although talked about many times, he and I never did get in that round of golf.
Goodbye Phil. You leave many, many friends behind, and by extension, all of AZB.

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
About thirty minutes ago I received a call from one of the young ladies at Billiards Sports Bar and Grill (nee: Billiards of Springfield), and learned that it's owner, Phil Spudich, had died yesterday.
Phil has owned Billiards since the mid-eighties, as well as other pool rooms in Columbia, Mo. I've known Phil, and his wife Maggie, for some sixteen years and had always enjoyed their company. We were good friends. Although talked about many times, he and I never did get in that round of golf.
Goodbye Phil. You leave many, many friends behind, and by extension, all of AZB.

That's really bad news.

Phil was a good guy and did a ton for pool in Missouri. He will be sorely missed.

Lou Figueroa

decent dennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, haven't been on in a couple days and then see this. Been going to his tournaments, first in Columbia then Springfield since 82. Always enjoyed talking after the sessions and having a couple cocktails with the guys talking old times. My condolences to Maggie and family.

Sam Waltz

My way...
Silver Member
Damn Mike, I'm sorry to see this. Although we had our disagreements, we always enjoyed a mutual respect and I'll miss him for sure. Condolences to his family and friends. He lived a full life and touched many in a positive manner most certainly.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member

Sorry for your loss. You have been my favorite poster since Smorg. Hope you never miss another opportunity to spend time with friends.
Jason

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm very sorry to hear this news. Phil set up my pool table when I moved to Columbia.

In addition to his ownership of pool halls he was a helicopter pilot in Vietnam.

Condolences to his family and friends.

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
Though i wind up in that neck o the woods, a lot, ive never been to Phils room.

Sorry for your loss, Tramp.

Eric

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
I am sorry to hear of the loss of your friend Tramp.

After the grief of loss comes long, fond memories of times past, and nothing can ever take them away.

A Heartfelt prayer of comfort for you and his family.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Yesterday was a turn-down-day. It was my 69th birthday and I was celebrating by eating a large piece of banana bread and sitting in front of the television watching Oklahoma play Baylor.
Sarah, from Billiards, called and told me the news about Phil, and I immediately lost my appetite. In light of the bad news, and being the sweetheart that she is, Sarah wished me a happy birthday, and hung up.
Little is still known about his passing, but let me say that Teacher was correct. Phil probably was one of the great room owners. Most certainly here in Missouri. He had been successful in Columbia, where he lived, as well as here in Springfield, having only recently renovated Billiards with a new roof, new flooring, inside coolers, and newly remodeled restrooms. My only complaint came when the name was changed from Billiards of Springfield, to Billiards Sports Bar and Grill. We still had sixteen Gold Crowns though, and that was a good thing.
Like alstl mentioned, he was a helicopter pilot during Viet Nam, flying the big twin rotor Chinooks. Phil also owned his own fixed-wing plane. A Piper Comanche, I believe.
What happens now? Who knows. Whether Maggie wants to continue on is anybody's guess at this point. It's way too early.
On behalf of her, their son Adam, and all the employees at Billiards, I would like to thank you for the kind words. We seldom think about room owners as being one of us, but they are.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Yesterday was a turn-down-day. It was my 69th birthday and I was celebrating by eating a large piece of banana bread and sitting in front of the television watching Oklahoma play Baylor.
Sarah, from Billiards, called and told me the news about Phil, and I immediately lost my appetite. In light of the bad news, and being the sweetheart that she is, Sarah wished me a happy birthday, and hung up.
Little is still known about his passing, but let me say that Teacher was correct. Phil probably was one of the great room owners. Most certainly here in Missouri. He had been successful in Columbia, where he lived, as well as here in Springfield, having only recently renovated Billiards with a new roof, new flooring, inside coolers, and newly remodeled restrooms. My only complaint came when the name was changed from Billiards of Springfield, to Billiards Sports Bar and Grill. We still had sixteen Gold Crowns though, and that was a good thing.
Like alstl mentioned, he was a helicopter pilot during Viet Nam, flying the big twin rotor Chinooks. Phil also owned his own fixed-wing plane. A Piper Comanche, I believe.
What happens now? Who knows. Whether Maggie wants to continue on is anybody's guess at this point. It's way too early.
On behalf of her, their son Adam, and all the employees at Billiards, I would like to thank you for the kind words. We seldom think about room owners as being one of us, but they are.

Tramp I would like to express my deepest sympathies to the family and friends of Phil. Phil sounded like a great friend and room owner, and its never easy seeing a friend go.

Rest in Piece Phil.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Life

I can tell the loss of your friend is weighing heavy on your heart.
And at your age I cant help to think that you haven't already thought about death yourself and how you would want people to be when you pass away.

Humbly speaking I would want people to celebrate my life.
Remember the good times you had with Phil and I am sorry for your loss of a good friend.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
I can tell the loss of your friend is weighing heavy on your heart.
And at your age I cant help to think that you haven't already thought about death yourself and how you would want people to be when you pass away.
Humbly speaking I would want people to celebrate my life.
Remember the good times you had with Phil and I am sorry for your loss of a good friend.

You're right, Mike, I do think about it. After 30 years of dealing with heart disease I'm reminded of it each morning when I look into the mirror and see the scar on my chest. I've had one foot in the grave and the other one on a banana peel for a very long time.
Oddly enough, though, when I'm playing One Pocket with the guys I never think about it. One reason, I believe, is that the other fellows are just like me. They have health issues that dog them, as well. When we're all together at the table we forget our troubles (albeit for a while) and play as if we didn't have a care in the world. We play as if we were twenty-five years old again. Maybe it's true. Just like here at AZB, there is strength in numbers.
Tomorrow, if you go to the pool hall, play like you're a kid again. Enjoy what has been given, as well as what remains. Tell someone you love them
I apologize for the morose ramblings. Tomorrow's a new day and the sun will shine again. :smile:

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
Tramp,
In response to yours posted after mine :

2 Things...............

1- Helicopter pilots are in a breed of their own. I had the priviledge to work alongside a dust-off pilot who VOLUNTEERED for his 2nd tour in Vietnam (67-68) if memory serves me correctly of his telling. When I asked him "why," he said it was because he had a GF there and had nothing better to do (presumably state-side) He was the funniest/comical man I ever knew; had many of us in stitches laughing so hard and was capable of doing it in just seconds. He passed 4 yrs ago. (I miss him a lot).

2- My "home" room owner is good people ! He really listens to you. His wife is the same way. Very "people" oriented with strong morals;not because its just good for business.

This puts your friend in some very fine/unique company. There are not many with those two traits going for them.
I don't drink much anymore, but I'll throw one down for Phil tonight.

I hope you wake'd him well my friend,.... he's special people. ;)

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tramp,
In response to yours posted after mine :

2 Things...............

1- Helicopter pilots are in a breed of their own. I had the priviledge to work alongside a dust-off pilot who VOLUNTEERED for his 2nd tour in Vietnam (67-68) if memory serves me correctly of his telling. When I asked him "why," he said it was because he had a GF there and had nothing better to do (presumably state-side) He was the funniest/comical man I ever knew; had many of us in stitches laughing so hard and was capable of doing it in just seconds. He passed 4 yrs ago. (I miss him a lot).

2- My "home" room owner is good people ! He really listens to you. His wife is the same way. Very "people" oriented with strong morals;not because its just good for business.

This puts your friend in some very fine/unique company. There are not many with those two traits going for them.
I don't drink much anymore, but I'll throw one down for Phil tonight.

I hope you wake'd him well my friend,.... he's special people. ;)
I think Phil was shot down more than once. He told me "you can fly those things without power".

I wasn't a close friend but we knew each other. He will be missed.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Godspeed, Phil..

Tramp, I can tell it's weighing on you... just know that Phil was doing his thing, following his muse. Reminds me of Chuck (of Hard Times) passing here in SoCal. Just doing his thing, waking up and going for it... he meant a lot to everyone he knew.
Right now we're hoping Ismael "Morro" Paez comes back from a bad stroke.

'quote'
Tomorrow, if you go to the pool hall, play like you're a kid again. Enjoy what has been given, as well as what remains. Tell someone you love them.

Amen.

'quote'
Helicopter pilots are in a breed of their own. I had the priviledge to work alongside a dust-off pilot who VOLUNTEERED for his 2nd tour in Vietnam (67-68) if memory serves me correctly of his telling. When I asked him "why," he said it was because he had a GF there and had nothing better to do (presumably state-side) He was the funniest/comical man I ever knew; had many of us in stitches laughing so hard and was capable of doing it in just seconds. He passed 4 yrs ago. (I miss him a lot).

Yes... my brother flew Medivac Hueys in 'Nam... got shot down three times, they didn't give a f**k that it had a red cross on it. He came back with that 'thousand yard stare'.

Having said all that, gonna go run eight and out, one time for Phil.

Stay frosty, Tramp.