Cue extender used in the joint

nancewayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been using an extender in between the joint for 3 months an love
the results. I use a 3/8x10 OB Classic shaft (fairly light weight shaft) and the extra weight forward of the insert helps balance the cue. The biggest advantage to using it is smoothing out my stroke (the whole cue stays more level and on a flatter plane over the table). This has helped me make long straight in shots much easier. A number of Pros are using these (or have had a custom cue maker put the extra weight and length in their cue). I recently saw Karen Corr playing a 4" Balance-Rite extension in a TV match and since Earl Strickland went to a longer (probably heavier) cue, many Pros have started using it (to their advantage!)

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been using an extender in between the joint for 3 months an love
the results. I use a 3/8x10 OB Classic shaft (fairly light weight shaft) and the extra weight forward of the insert helps balance the cue. The biggest advantage to using it is smoothing out my stroke (the whole cue stays more level and on a flatter plane over the table). This has helped me make long straight in shots much easier. A number of Pros are using these (or have had a custom cue maker put the extra weight and length in their cue). I recently saw Karen Corr playing a 4" Balance-Rite extension in a TV match and since Earl Strickland went to a longer (probably heavier) cue, many Pros have started using it (to their advantage!)

How tall are you? I'm 6'2" and I was told I needed a longer cue by an instructor because with my arm length I play off the very back of the cue. So before special ordering a longer shaft, I recently picked up a balance rite extension and after a week I feel more comfortable with my grip hand falling in the right spot. It's helped with long straight in shots like you said.

You are correct about earl and Karen, and even Shane started playing with an extension on full time for the big foot tournament and kept it on for a while in following events.

My only downside is the added weight which I tend to like a lighter cue, so I'm going to work with the weight adjustment a bit. But so far so good.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm still trying to figure out why everyone I have talked to loves these cue extenders.
A well respected cuemaker goes to all the work of balancing a cue shaft with the butt , and then you stick one of these things right in the middle and it plays better?
It goes against logic and science , but whatever makes the ball fall in the hole is right, and everything else is not!

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm still trying to figure out why everyone I have talked to loves these cue extenders.
A well respected cuemaker goes to all the work of balancing a cue shaft with the butt , and then you stick one of these things right in the middle and it plays better?
It goes against logic and science , but whatever makes the ball fall in the hole is right, and everything else is not!

I can definitely see your point if you have a custom made cue. I play with a production cue, so it was brought up to me that it was too short for my body type. It was far less expensive to experiment with a four inch insert/extension to see what happens than purchase a new (longer) shaft.

I've noticed a number of professionals playing with production butts but having a custom made/tuned shaft which can be longer to adjust to body length. Ultimately, if I were to make the financial commitment, I would get a cue custom made to my arm length and do away with an extension.

SeabrookMiglla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
]I have one and use it sometimes. I did a lot of experimenting with it and this is just my opinion.

Pro's:
makes the cue heavier and longer which gives your stroke more power which is ideal for slower tables- especially big slow tables.

IMO when my stroke begins to fade and get weak and I start babying in balls I'll put the extension on to give me that extra 'umph'. I think this has to do with more weight towards the front of the cue.

using a power stroke, with top especially, gives you crazy results. If you keep finding yourself coming up short on a shot, you are more likely to over shoot position.

If you are short or don't like using the bridge this is a great alternative and makes reaching a world easier.

Cons:
size of the cue, so if you are playing in a cramped area then you have to be more mindful of your surroundings so you don't bump a chair or someone around you. It can be a possible distraction for this reason at times.

jacking up on a shot, I think it's easier to raise up with a regular size cue.

Another possible negative is just adjusting to the cue when you take it on or off.

for some reason I find bottom to be harder to control. using bottom definitely requires adjustment when I put the extension on.

These are just some of my observations. All in all I think it is a good to have in the case. I use it a fair amount, but certain factors dictate me using it. And I have caught fire using the extension and it was nice.

jrhendy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Extension

I tried the BalanceRite and liked it, but it made my cue a little too long and heavy, adding 2oz. I now use a 2 1/2" I got from newsherrifintown on here and love it. Weighs 1oz and just the right length for me.

I am an older player and my mechanics get messed up from time to time. I find my stroke veering off to the left at the end of my stroke. The added length, weight
and forward balance have helped me go through the ball better.

I tried some other shorter extensions and broke them. I use a radial pin and for some reason it put too much stress on the material used for the extension. The extension I received for newsherrifintown is made from ebony and I have not had a problem.

The cost is reasonable and I would recommend trying his out.

Baron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
^^This is good to hear. I'm waiting on a 2.5 inch as well as a 4 inch from him right now, both in ebony, so I'm glad you like it.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
I tried the BalanceRite and liked it, but it made my cue a little too long and heavy, adding 2oz. I now use a 2 1/2" I got from newsherrifintown on here and love it. Weighs 1oz and just the right length for me.

I am an older player and my mechanics get messed up from time to time. I find my stroke veering off to the left at the end of my stroke. The added length, weight

I tried some other shorter extensions and broke them. I use a radial pin and for some reason it put too much stress on the material used for the extension. The extension I received for newsherrifintown is made from ebony and I have not had a problem.

I ordered a 4" ebony extension from him, can't wait!

daimion

Something Clever...
Silver Member
i had Tophatcues make me an 11" extension that would go at the joint. making the shaft and extension 40" for a legal sized cue to jump :D:D but also long enough to reach across a full size table without a bridge :)

bral

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

In my (admittedly limited) experience, in general cuemakers cannot build cues much longer than the standard 58", due to what I assume is a tooling limitation. Recently I was advised by a player I respect to try a cue longer than 60" and am running into this.

It's looking like I'll probably end up having a lighter 60" cue made, for which the added weight of an extension will still be manageable.

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
extension

Do you have a link to newsherrifintown?

Tried to find him on AZ but got nothing but your comment.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
I tried a 4" BalanceRite on my OB121 (3/8x10 pin) but couldn't get used to the feel. I probably didn't give it enough time but decided to return it to Seybert's within 30 days just to be careful.

Since then I've ordered 30" shafts and that gives me perfect balance and feel.

I wish OB made a quick release 8-10" extension for the butt of the cue. Cocobolo please.