Evgeny Stalev 2014 World tournament record run - and "How would you play this"

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
Evgeny Stalev 2014 World tournament record run - and "How would you play this"

his run was recently shared with the audience. Evgeny provided some commentary, it's in Russian of course, but at the table he has spoken a universal global language of 14.1 ;) so it's easy to comprehend. Well, that's a classic "9-ball straight pool" sometimes, and he gets lucky rolls a few times (which he acknowledges)

Watch the run here :thumbup: Stalev plays fast and loose, and the run took only 70-80 minutes

By the way there must be some mistake in on-screen scoreboard, it probably shows where the confusion started. Many claimed the run was 226 while AtLarge mentioned that it was rather 224, in this post. Well, the final score displays 225, Evgeny added one more ball (penalty -1 in the beginning) and probably still thinks his run was 226. Who's to blame? The scorekeeper? :smile-us-down:

Vahmurka

Silver Member
How would you play this?

breakshot.jpg

here is one of the break shots Evgeny faced. I assume he took wrong route here which would have ended his run, unless he got a bit lucky.

What's your shot of choice in this position? What I remember from Capelle's book, there is one better option I would go. But what do I know, Stalev ran 200+ and I can't string together a hundo.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
View attachment 375467

here is one of the break shots Evgeny faced. I assume he took wrong route here which would have ended his run, unless he got a bit lucky.

What's your shot of choice in this position? What I remember from Capelle's book, there is one better option I would go. But what do I know, Stalev ran 200+ and I can't string together a hundo.

I would have played the break shot like Evgeny did, going into the back of the rack would not be my first choice especially on a wet table. Normally the rack will disperse better than it did while contacting the top two. I try to contact the first two also difficult to end up frozen in the rack (as Evgeny did) only I like inside spin. The inside prevents the dreaded scratch one rail in the side and keeps the white ball down where all the action is. Evgeny is a smooth shot maker for sure.

Last edited:

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He plays position similar way like I want to. Big target areas, and positions always to many balls if possible. That way you can keep more relaxed playing style. Not too much luck involved IMHO. Lot of knowledge at Stalev game I noticed. He probably like to play it often.
You have to trust your shotmaking ability if you plan to play this kind straight pool.
Ps. Funny to see John Smith worship Stalev at end of clip..

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That break shot I would also go rack directly because angle of break shot.
If little bit more angle available. then behind rack from end rail with lot of left spin would be my choice always.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
He plays position similar way like I want to. Big target areas, and positions always to many balls if possible. That way you can keep more relaxed playing style. Not too much luck involved IMHO. Lot of knowledge at Stalev game I noticed. He probably like to play it often.
You have to trust your shotmaking ability if you plan to play this kind straight pool.
Ps. Funny to see John Smith worship Stalev at end of clip..

The Russians at Derby, Stalev, Chinakhov, and a young guy, Maksim Dudanets said they were surprised he ran so many, because he does not play 14.1 much. Maksim said something about his crazy patterns.

I'll have to check it out.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
his run was recently shared with the audience. Evgeny provided some commentary, it's in Russian of course, but at the table he has spoken a universal global language of 14.1 ;) so it's easy to comprehend. Well, that's a classic "9-ball straight pool" sometimes, and he gets lucky rolls a few times (which he acknowledges)

Watch the run here :thumbup: Stalev plays fast and loose, and the run took only 70-80 minutes

By the way there must be some mistake in on-screen scoreboard, it probably shows where the confusion started. Many claimed the run was 226 while AtLarge mentioned that it was rather 224, in this post. Well, the final score displays 225, Evgeny added one more ball (penalty -1 in the beginning) and probably still thinks his run was 226. Who's to blame? The scorekeeper? :smile-us-down:

Thanks for posting, excellent video.

Does anybody know what kind of a cue that is and what taper is on the shaft?

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for posting, excellent video.

Does anybody know what kind of a cue that is and what taper is on the shaft?

If I recall correctly he uses his Russian billiards cue. They normally have pro taper style shape. I have one. We play sometimes pyramid here too in Finland. Also Finnish billiards same type tables as Russian billiards.
Pyramid cue is also a lot heavier than pool cue(600-700grams, dunno what it is oz.)
Quite sure it's not low deflection due overall end mass ;)

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Russians at Derby, Stalev, Chinakhov, and a young guy, Maksim Dudanets said they were surprised he ran so many, because he does not play 14.1 much. Maksim said something about his crazy patterns.

I'll have to check it out.

His patterns were sometimes little crazy but only because he had some speed problems. Overall I think he plays game smart and try playing maximum marginal of error. Also I noticed he sometimes did not want stop to think. So he shoot shots where you should be ok but not best option.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I recall correctly he uses his Russian billiards cue. They normally have pro taper style shape. I have one. We play sometimes pyramid here too in Finland. Also Finnish billiards same type tables as Russian billiards.
Pyramid cue is also a lot heavier than pool cue(600-700grams, dunno what it is oz.)
Quite sure it's not low deflection due overall end mass ;)

That is interesting, thanks for the reply.

600-700 grams is 21-24 ounces. Are the balls heavier in Russian pyramid?

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes. Bigger and heavier. Pockets are really tight also. Few millimeters bigger than pyramid balls.

Vahmurka

Silver Member
let me clarify about Stalev's cue, especially he's always being asked about it due to unusual look.

That's a custom made cue by a Russian cuemaker who, of course, is involved in pyramid cues more. Stalev owns it for several years now. First he made a universal cue with two different butts I guess, so that Stalev could use it for both pool and pyramid. But it turned out Evgeny had better option for pyramid with another cue so he left this one (with lighter butt) for pool only.
The shaft is not a pro taper, almost all pyramid cues I know have conical taper. Tip diameter is 12 mm and is a hard pressed pre-treated Triangle.

This cue is not as heavy as pyramid cues are, but definitely heavier than pool cues in general (about 2 oz heavier he said) and longer. This all due to tha fact that he plays pyramid much more so he feels it better playing pool with a cue he is more used to - heavy and long.