new Simonis cloth pilling ?

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
My pal who recently had a dozen tables recovered with 860 Blue reported a problem: in 2-3 weeks period the tables are covered with pills (or bobbles if you like). Especially areas close to pockets.
What could be the reason of that? I've never seen Simonis have such a problem before.
Also it seems that this very cloth (which arrived directly from the factory) has some sort of nap, yet not thick, but I'm used to more "napless" Simonis 860 than this one.

PoolTable911

AdvancedBilliardSolutions
Silver Member
My pal who recently had a dozen tables recovered with 860 Blue reported a problem: in 2-3 weeks period the tables are covered with pills (or bobbles if you like). Especially areas close to pockets.
What could be the reason of that? I've never seen Simonis have such a problem before.
Also it seems that this very cloth (which arrived directly from the factory) has some sort of nap, yet not thick, but I'm used to more "napless" Simonis 860 than this one.

Simonis had this problem in a room in NE Pennsylvania. Simonis took care of the problem. Contact them.

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
another year, new batch of same cloth, new install - same issue.
This time I attach a photo, an example of how it looks like. Could have found worse spots, but only shot a picture of a table I was playing on.

pilling_sml.jpg

the link to high-res image

The cloth is not upside down, but it feels weird. Hairy I would say. This "nap" can actually be visible at the front part of the pic. I suppose in time it gathers into bigger particles.

WTF? Could it be due to faulty cleaning actions from pool hall personell? Like severe brushing?

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I have noticed the same thing on many of the bar box Diamonds up by us. They are recovered yearly and it is allegedly Simonis yet it feels nappy, not like the green 860 on my table.

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've heard of this recently; also I've come across tables that have the same problem despite being "new".
Most probably they are having problems with wool supply or some machine engineer died that new some secrets (not kidding - more often than not that's it).

Use Royal Pro on one table to test it out. It's what my Carom club has been migrating to.
No wool, no fuzz, but a little faster. Almost no change to humidity, 50% cheaper.
Awesome feel, very reactive and stays that way. The owner (a nice Greek) did the install himself.

http://royalpro-billiardcloth.com/index.php/about

Cheers!

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
do you mean such issue could be seen on blue (as opposed to green) Simonis cloth?

I am not sure, but all of the questionable Simonis I have seen is Blue installed on Diamond bar boxes. I dont think the color makes it more or less visible. I do know that what is allegedly Simonis 860 on these bar boxes does not feel at all like the Simonis 860 on my table which is a different color FWIW. My cloth came in a Simonis package and had Simonis printed right on the cloth itself so I am sure of the cloth on my table. When you run your hand across my table it feels very smooth, maybe similar to a button down dress shirt. The questionable Simonis? on the bar boxes has little balls of fuzz on it, feels more like a sweater. Maybe another way to explain it is my 860 is more like the outside of new sweat pants, the questionable 860 feels more like the inside of the sweat pants if that makes sense.

Dartman

Silver Member
As Pat mentioned, it may be defective cloth or it's not Simonis.
Shine a black light on the bed and look for the Simonis logo and Lot#.
If it's there then contact Simonis for a remedy. If not, I'd be talking to whoever sold them the cloth.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
As Pat mentioned, it may be defective cloth or it's not Simonis.
Shine a black light on the bed and look for the Simonis logo and Lot#.
If it's there then contact Simonis for a remedy. If not, I'd be talking to whoever sold them the cloth.

If it's not there then that's more reason to believe it's upside down;) since the Simonis logo is not on the bottom side;)

realkingcobra

Silver Member
another year, new batch of same cloth, new install - same issue.
This time I attach a photo, an example of how it looks like. Could have found worse spots, but only shot a picture of a table I was playing on.

View attachment 409265

the link to high-res image

The cloth is not upside down, but it feels weird. Hairy I would say. This "nap" can actually be visible at the front part of the pic. I suppose in time it gathers into bigger particles.

WTF? Could it be due to faulty cleaning actions from pool hall personell? Like severe brushing?

Sure looks upside down to me, what does the other side look like?

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
Sure looks upside down to me, what does the other side look like?

A photo of a broader area of the cloth (not so close up) may make it easier to see. But, from what I can see there, I absolutely agree - that cloth is upside down.