Superglue vs epoxy for ferrule install?

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Devcon

I have tried Loctite gel and 401 for ferrules and I'm not a fan...
Gorilla glue does not dry clear, so that might be an issue, I have bought some west system G/flex, but I have not tried it yet.

Devcon 2 ton epoxy dries clear and hard. just make sure to mix really good.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks. Do you use the 5 or 30 minute version?

Devcon 2 Ton epoxy is the slower version. Devcon 5 Minute is what I use for ferrules. You are less likely to get the glue stain ring under the ferrule with the 5 minute.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
5 minute epoxy.... mix it up and get a new mixing stick and dip the end of it in a bottle of white india ink..... re mix it ......... no glue line.... you only need a drop of india ink....

Kim

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks guys. I have bought both the Devcon epoxys, West system G/Flex and gorilla epoxy. So the experimenting can begin :thumbup:
I`ll pick up some white india ink and try your formula Kim.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
Thanks guys. I have bought both the Devcon epoxys, West system G/Flex and gorilla epoxy. So the experimenting can begin :thumbup:

You don't need very much ink
at all....

Kim

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member

Is it just me or does "white india ink" sound like an oxymoron?
Gary

stick130

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OB Shafts website recommends using gorilla glue with there maple ferrule without threads, also .002 to .004 clearance for glue expansion.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have tried Devcon, G/flex and Gorillaglue now on quite a few ferrules and they all seem to work really well.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've chosen my adhesive by the material I am gluing. There is no one-size-fits-all.

I know this is an old post, but this is absolutely correct. In general, we choose adhesives based on functional requirements, substrates, surface conditions, and needs of manufacturing.

Using cyano is great for speed, but I don't think that's a requirement. It's brittle nature and lower shear strength makes it a not-ideal candidate. You can get rubberized cyano, but why bother when there are other, off-the shelf solutions?

Cyano works great on tips because it's not a shear load application unless someone drops the cue. Tips pop off in that case because of the high shear condition, and not necessarily because of a bad tip job.

Freddie <~~~ back to your regularly scheduled program

stick130

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the ferrule is seated properly to the shaft, the shaft should absorb all the pressure. Vibration could crack a hard setting glue.. OB Cues recommends Gorilla Glue. You can get 100 replies from 100 people and they could all be correct and all use a different glue.. Stay with a good name brand and use there glue for your application and you should be fine.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the ferrule is seated properly to the shaft, the shaft should absorb all the pressure. Vibration could crack a hard setting glue.. OB Cues recommends Gorilla Glue. You can get 100 replies from 100 people and they could all be correct and all use a different glue.. Stay with a good name brand and use there glue for your application and you should be fine.

Getting a good fit, seems to be the most important. I used a tennon threader on the 20 or so first ferrules I installed and the threads don`t come out perfect. Now I live tool the threads and the quality of the treads are close to perfect. The ferrule threads on the tennon just perfect. I used Gorillaglue on the last job, holds up good.

stick130

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used super glue by gorilla, glued on non threaded capped ferrrule on my break cue. It's been on for about 6 months. No problems yet.

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
I've been getting great results with a quick-setting epoxy called JB Weld ClearWeld available at Wal Mart.

This stuff is NOT the same steel-reinforced JB Weld you use for muffler repairs,etc,but is made by same company.

It has a tensile strength of 4400 PSI,and when mixed 100% dries hard enough you can chip it with a chisel. Tommy D.