Mark Griffin

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Possibly as many as 20% will die" It would have to be many years after because if even 2% die in the first 3 months, it will be removed from the market.

I will look closely at who manufactured it and the data from the clinical trials and make my decision then and i would worry about a vaccine produced by election day. It is usually a several year process with a rush process taking 12-18 months. Id be more comfortable seeing one come out in that time period.

N95 masks are out now (not KN95)-They will protect you rather than mainly others as the cheap surgical masks do. There are ways to sterilize them so you can wear them more than once.Google it.

I keep hearing that the virus cant live outside the body for more than 5 days on any material. Im no DR or scientist but if so it would seem reasonable that if you had one N95 for each day of the week-that would give them enough of a rest for the virus, in the unlikely event there was virus on the mask to begin with, to die before you put it on 7 days later. UV Rays (the sun) and high heat should expedite this process. Do your own research.

overlord

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With all due respect Robert, take a look around and see what has already been going on for a long time. We have fallen hard already (especially in our national response to this pandemic) and our only hope is come Nov. 3. If you don't think that we will see more dirty tricks in the months ahead then I'll just leave it at that. I don't want to get into a political debate on here. I am just responding to the gist of this thread and echoing a warning that I have received from someone who I (and many others) totally respect. Take from it what you want. As for me I am taking her advice very seriously. If you'd like I will PM you this person's name so you can check her credentials. I will not put it on a public forum without her permission.

You don't want to get into politics and then engage in hysteria? Simple common sense tells us that a company that produced a vaccine that killed 20% of its users would be sued to eternity.

Jay my hat is off to you regarding the history of pool players but these comments are foolish.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You don't want to get into politics and then engage in hysteria? Simple common sense tells us that a company that produced a vaccine that killed 20% of its users would be sued to eternity.

The deaths could be many years later which would muddle things-That's the problem with a quick release of a vaccine or any med-It's impossible to know the LONG TERM EFFECTS.

Tons of medicines have been removed from the market many years after they came out because of this. Admittedly none of them had 20% death rates long or short term that i know of.but it still could be possible. I'm not worrying, I'm 72 and ill be dead by the time it kills me anyway.

overlord

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The deaths could be many years later which would muddle things-That's the problem with a quick release of a vaccine or any med-It's impossible to know the LONG TERM EFFECTS.

Tons of medicines have been removed from the market many years after they came out because of this. Admittedly none of them had 20% death rates long or short term that i know of.but it still could be possible. I'm not worrying, I'm 72 and ill be dead by the time it kills me anyway.

I am not a doctor but a vaccine is not really the same thing as a medicine.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not a doctor but a vaccine is not really the same thing as a medicine.

I never said or implied it was. They aren't but the clinical trial process is essentially the same..

vaccines have also been taken off the market after years of use and many many individual batches have been recalled. I am not an anti vaxxer I get every one i can but none have been rushed to market either.

Last edited:

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member

Jay my hat is off to you regarding the history of pool players but these comments are foolish.

Seems to me, if you can Google her name, it is already public.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I get sick, I will try to take the HydroxyChloroquine With the Z-pac.

It is said to work in many places, that are not politically driven..

I think the key to take HCQ early. Once you are so bad that you need an ER visit it probably won’t work.

The left thinks that after 80 years HCQ has been determined to be bad for you

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the key to take HCQ early. Once you are so bad that you need an ER visit it probably won’t work.

I recommend you double dose early and often

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

I was stunned when she told me that, because I thought we would have a good vaccine by early next year with all the great medical minds working on it. She told me they are putting a rush on these trials and that I should definitely NOT take the vaccine when it first comes out! She did say that people taking the very first vaccines to hit the market could die at an alarming rate, even as high as 20%.

Maybe her estimate is extreme (but she has been right on with everything else she has told me over the years about the state of Medical care in the USA), but it was enough to convince me to not be in a hurry to get a vaccine right away. I'll keep my mask on and maintain a little distance and wash my hands frequently, and see how things shake out.

I only shared this on here as a warning to everyone. Just like everything else about this pandemic you can then do what you want with the information you receive. Millions of people (250,000 in Sturgis alone) are not wearing masks or following CDC guidelines. And IMO this is why things remain as bad as they are here, and the pandemic is not subsiding.

HCQ - No thanks!

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Early, smirly.

"The left," whoever they is, believe that HCQ doesn't reduce deaths among hospitalized COVID-19 patients, nor help people with a moderate case of the disease.

It's generally safe for patients with malaria and autoimmune diseases, but using it for other stuff can cause serious side effects. Taking it "early" just means putting yourself at risk sooner for all that.

Lou Figueroa

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Early, smirly.

"The left," whoever they is, believe that HCQ doesn't reduce deaths among hospitalized COVID-19 patients, nor help people with a moderate case of the disease.

It's generally safe for patients with malaria and autoimmune diseases, but using it for other stuff can cause serious side effects. Taking it "early" just means putting yourself at risk sooner for all that.

Lou Figueroa

Wouldn’t the serious side effects also be problems for Malaria, Lupus, and other autoimmune diseases? Every drug known to mankind can have serious side effects. Personally I’ll take HCQ if I ever get Covid19

Last edited:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
HCQ is mainly prescribed to help with RA. My wife takes it every day.

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

Early, smirly.

Lou Figueroa

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
A similar scenario played out at Griff's poolroom in Las Vegas. There were no safeguards in place and many people got sick. It was closed after Mark and Gary were diagnosed.

So to get back on topic, does anyone know how Mark is doing now?

And with his medical history, why would Mark put himself in a situation to catch/be affected by Covid and hanging out in his pool room in the first place? Should have been the time for him to take a 4 month vacation to Montana.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
tableroll...Wrong Mark. You're talking about Mark Wilson. This thread is about Mark Griffin.

Scott Lee

Hi Mark, Glad to hear you are getting home soon. I love you book by the way. I bought it about 4 years ago and it has helped me in my game. I also loved your pool clinics at the Derby City. I watched them as I could not make it this year. Get will soon. We need people like you around. You are a good ambassador for the game.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I talked to Mark yesterday. He is at home and recovering OK. He is doing house chores and such but is very tired. Fingers still crossed.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
HCQ is mainly prescribed to help with RA. My wife takes it every day.

Scott Lee

I forgot that HCQ is also used for RA. I hope your wife is doing well.
Mr. 3C is also taking HCQ

Wishing Mark well. I have a trip to Vegas in a month or so. I hope the gang at Griffs is doing well also. I hope to visit there.

overlord

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was stunned when she told me that, because I thought we would have a good vaccine by early next year with all the great medical minds working on it. She told me they are putting a rush on these trials and that I should definitely NOT take the vaccine when it first comes out! She did say that people taking the very first vaccines to hit the market could die at an alarming rate, even as high as 20%.

Maybe her estimate is extreme (but she has been right on with everything else she has told me over the years about the state of Medical care in the USA), but it was enough to convince me to not be in a hurry to get a vaccine right away. I'll keep my mask on and maintain a little distance and wash my hands frequently, and see how things shake out.

I only shared this on here as a warning to everyone. Just like everything else about this pandemic you can then do what you want with the information you receive. Millions of people (250,000 in Sturgis alone) are not wearing masks or following CDC guidelines. And IMO this is why things remain as bad as they are here, and the pandemic is not subsiding.

HCQ - No thanks!

I have had no problem wearing a mask when I go out. Even with masks the virus marches on.

California attended to all the lockdowns and mask wearing and it has not been spared by any means.

There are no panaceas. The killer is crowded rooms. I don't believe all the bikers are gonna go maskless.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wouldn’t the serious side effects also be problems for Malaria, Lupus, and other autoimmune diseases? Every drug known to mankind can have serious side effects. Personally I’ll take HCQ if I ever get Covid19

ah, really?

Chemo for cancer has side effects. Many drugs today have side effects. And if you have malaria and this is the drug your doctor recommends, you may have side effects but at least you're under a doctor's supervision and have a shot at beating the malaria.

Taking a drug like HCQ -- and risking side effects when there's little reason to -- is kind of stupid.

Lou Figueroa

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Alstl,

Sorry about your mom. I hope she has a mild case and speedy recovery.

Thanks, she seems to be one of those people who have no symptoms. It has been 10 days since she tested positive and her doctor says he thinks she would have had problems by now if she was going to. You would think at 94 it would impact her but it didn't.

My theory is she scared away the virus. Born and raised on an Iowa farm - not in a hospital - that generation tend to be pretty tough people. No electricity and no indoor plumbing.

mnb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The Johns Hopkins School of Medicine would like to offer you a scholarship