how are ya'll doing in league ?

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here in California I do not envision any league play in the remainder of 2020. Hopefully next year. Getting a new cue too which will just sit in a case

worktheknight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Our VNEA league halted in March because of the bars closing. We received a call that our
league operator is still honoring the MVP players and league team champions. I have shot
multiple leagues for years and this one is special as my wife jumped in to fill our team and
the guys know my wife holds her own, but, it was announced that we were being recognized
as champions, all in good fun, but, it's pretty cool.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with you on the crash and bash...but save for a few examples, i rarely see it work out. We do have one or two guys that are maddening with their ability to just drill one and have something fall, and somehow manage enough shape to see the next ball. One of those guys even does it in 8-ball and rarely steps in it...its actually comical how well it works for him, much of the time. "Hit'em Hard Lester", we call him.

I know the few times I've been desperate enough to try it, it never works out for me. :p

Fortunately we don't see many who do that around here. Especially on 9-footers, it doesn't seem to work for many.

LOL, the gentleman I mentioned earlier came up in our conversations last night. Turns out there were 2 other people in the room that simply won't play him any more. It's that ridiculous.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of those guys even does it in 8-ball and rarely steps in it...its actually comical how well it works for him, much of the time. "Hit'em Hard Lester", we call him.

I

HA that is hilarious. We have a guy that we call "Hit and Hope Charlie":thumbup: And he is NOTORIOUS for slopping one in 3 or 4 rails, banging off every ball on the table, and either leaving you dead hooked or leaving himself straight in on the next shot...Uncanny how he does it. Now, most times he misses those straight in shots he lucks into.....

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
HA that is hilarious. We have a guy that we call "Hit and Hope Charlie":thumbup: And he is NOTORIOUS for slopping one in 3 or 4 rails.

We had a woman in our mini-Masters league several years back we called "Lucky Laurie". It was unbelievable how much sh*t she could slop in. Every player on my team was a good bit better than her, but none of us ever wanted to play her.

Maniac

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
HA that is hilarious. We have a guy that we call "Hit and Hope Charlie":thumbup: And he is NOTORIOUS for slopping one in 3 or 4 rails, banging off every ball on the table, and either leaving you dead hooked or leaving himself straight in on the next shot...Uncanny how he does it. Now, most times he misses those straight in shots he lucks into.....

LOL, in our area we get "Bobbed" when that happens.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That's hilarious....we say "we got Lestered". Or if someone craps one in, in a spectacular fashion, we'll say "nice shot, Lester"...
I hope Bob and Lester are proud of the recognition. In my area it was "Hotel Al" who had figured out the right strategy against the champions. He left them dazed and confused. I think most of his nine balls were early. That's tough to fade when you're giving him 6-3 on the wire.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope Bob and Lester are proud of the recognition. In my area it was "Hotel Al" who had figured out the right strategy against the champions. He left them dazed and confused. I think most of his nine balls were early. That's tough to fade when you're giving him 6-3 on the wire.

He kind of shrugs and smiles. He's a super nice guy and we get a long well. The last time we played he could tell I was frustrated and I think he felt bad but it didn't stop him! LOL.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wish you guys would have posted a few days earlier for me to read. It probably would have given me a different perspective and i probably would not have started a thread titled..my 9 ball game...one extreme to the other.

It was about getting the crap beat out of me by a 3 to the tune of 16-4. Slop...slop...easy shot...miss and hook me. Had me so frustrated i couldnt do anything when i had a chance. Then when i thought it couldnt get any worse i had a 4 beat me last weekend by 18-2.

The amazing thing is just a couple hours beforr that 3 beat me 16-4 i beat another 6 by 15-5. And after losing to that 4 by 18-2 i beat and 8 by 14-6.

Those low level players have been killing me in 9 ball all session but i hold my own against 5's and higher.

On the other hand i have been on a roll in 8 ball..won a tough one friday night that went hill- hill against another 5 but a win is a win. Sunday afternoon i beat that 4 that won 18-2 by a score of 4-1 in 8 ball. Sunday night i won 4-1 vs another 5.

Hope this streak continues when 8 ball cities start friday night.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member

Lester owns it and laughs along with us.... and he Lestered us last night. Crazy. Didn;t smash and hope, he just missed, and of course it went three rails into the side. He then gets out after...

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lester owns it and laughs along with us.... and he Lestered us last night. Crazy. Didn;t smash and hope, he just missed, and of course it went three rails into the side. He then gets out after...

That's the kicker about better players slopping all the time, it's not the 1 point for the slop that matters - it's the 8 points after that that kills you!

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We had our 8 ball citiy tournament over the weekend.

It started out pretty good for our team and me personally.. I faced a 4 in the first round and won 4 -1. Our team won in 4 matches ..

I faced a 5 in the second round and won 4-0 by a utilizing a boatload of safes. Our team won again in 4 matches.

I faced a 6 in the third round and lost hill- hill due to one of the luckiest shots i have ever witnessed after i had played a safe. You can't beat luck. Our team lost this round.
Almost forgot...we had to change our line up this round due to having 2 players raised after the last round. We had been using four 5's and a 3. Just my opinion but i think thats about the toughest line up you could have in apa. One 5 went up to a 6 and the 3 went up to a 4. Surprised the 5 went up because he had lost both his matches in this tournament . the newly raised 4 got curb stomped 2 -0 by a 2 this round.

In the 4th round we again faced the team we had beaten in the second round . well our newly raised 4 lost 2-0 again. Side note. After the tournament i talked the captain into adding another 3 in case this 4 does not go back down where i think she should be. I lost hill-hill to a different 5 this time. Yall guys dont take this the wrong way...yall just gotta know me to see how i act. When we threw a 5 the 5 on the other team the 5 i had beat 4-0 in the second round jumped up and said he was playing...i said what??? You don't wanna face me again? There was laughter from both teams. So after 4 matches we are tied 5-5 and i am liking our chances due to our 5 had beat their 4 by 4-0 in the second round. This outcome was way different. The 4 wins 3-2.

So another long weekend of pool and i decided to take off work today and recuperate lol..

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like you were shooting pretty good and that's one of my favorite sayings "You can't beat luck". Good shooting, you'll get 'em next time :thumbup:

We had Master tri-cups last Thursday. In masters it's three races to 7 and whoever has the most points (21 max) wins,

First guy actually played on Wednesday and won his match 7-5. I started my match first on Thursday and won 7-5. I had a nice jump on a 6 and finished that table to tie it 5-5. I break and didn't have a shot so pushed out, after a little back and forth I get a tough shot at the 3 (4 was made on the break) and hooked myself right behind the 9 (close to the foot spot) and the 5 was on the headstring about the same distance from rail (about 1 diamond out), I hit a killer 2 rail kick and 5 went center pocket with perfect shape for the 6, run out and I'm on the hill. Break and the 9 hangs with the 4 right in front of it. I pocketed a ball and had a shot on the 1, ran the 1, 2, 3 and combo'd the 9 for the win.

My teammate had started his match already and was at 2 wins (down 4-2), just as I finished mine I look over and his opponent breaks and makes 4 on the break (3, 4, 5, and 8, this is 9B) but no shot. Jumps, makes the one and hooks himself, jumps, makes the 2 and hooks himself on the 6. Makes an attempt at jump #3 and launched whitey off the table. My teammate has BIH and runs out for 4 wins and the match.

Now we have to play a very tough team at state for Vegas. We beat them the first time we played them but have lost the last two. Going to make sure we're all ready for that one.

Funny side story: Their captain and I get a long fairly well, he's an 8 and I'm a 9 and he's the one who made the jump shots earlier, he's a pretty good shot. We actually played out of his bar until it was shutdown from COVID and then it didn't survive so now we play somewhere else. Anyways, I'm up 2-0 (8B) and as I finish racking (I was racking my own because my opponent didn't seem to care if the head ball wasn't on the spot and he didn't want to use a magic rack) and as I walk around the table their captain looks at me and said "You know this is a tag-team event, if you get up 3-0 I get to shoot", I smiled and said "I got no problem with that" and broke, the two ball was the last ball moving and it trickled into the corner. I ran the rack fairly quickly and pointed my stick at him and said "Whenever you're ready :)", he mumbled something about that damn two ball. :D

I have also signed on with my GF to play scotch doubles. Skill level max is 10 - I'm a 9 and she's a 1, not my ideal team but we'll have fun.

I was also going to get my granddaughter into juniors this session but just found out it might not happen, hopefully we'll know more in the next week or so.

Other then that, I'm reffing the 8B State Championship this weekend.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's pretty impressive for a guy that has to score 75 points...regardless of opponents skill level.

Out of curiosity, how many points did your opponent score?

Maniac

He scored 22, he was 4 and had to go to 31, the score was 75-22 so I got him by 9. Early on I was pummeling him and he's a super nice guy (older professional type so we get a long well) and so I slowed down a bit. Eventually I looked at the score and he needed 9 and I needed 10, put it back in high gear and got the next 10 points. Oddly, as good as I was shooting I didn't have a single BnR all night, just played smart. The place we play at is close to a couple of factories so once in a while we'll get some flies. Well, this one fly kept landing on whitey when I was trying to break and this other guy and I were laughing about it. I decided to whack the shit out of it to stun the fly. Made the 9 on the snap and scratched :cool: Went back to a more controlled break after that. LOL

EDIT: We played 11 racks.