Google Maps - location of old poolrooms?

poolmouse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I travel to NYC every so often and whenever I walk through Times Square I always wonder where 7-11 used to be. And Ames'. Etc. Are these historical locations or addresses documented anywhere with Google Maps links?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

RoadHustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bam!! I love Google....

The Honeymoon Lane Dance Land was located on West 47th Street (between Broadway and 7th Avenue). It was known as a taxi-dance ballroom, a place of male entertainment where women were paid by men to dance with them for a determined amount of time until the buzzer sounded, each dance usually lasting about one minute in duration. Taxi dancers were paid half the price of the dance ticket along with any other items the patrons thought to give them such as nylons, jewelry, dresses or cash. These women were not technically “women of the night” but a sort of “intermediate” class of female worker paid for her erotic services. Taxi-dance ballrooms were popular from about the 1920s on for dating as well as dancing.

The Honeymoon Lane Dance Land was on ground level below Paddy’s 7-11, a 24 hour pool hall, enormously popular during the time period in which these images were taken. “During the 1950s and into the 60s, it was where a lot of really, really, really sort of monstrously talented pool players from all over the country would come and hang out and gamble for some pretty high stakes” – players like Jersey Red, Three-Fingered Gus, Wagon Head (a player who always wagged his head when he shot), New York Blackie, Joey with Glasses, and Bicycle Charlie.
Here's the link...
http://www.queensmuseum.org/blog/?p=320

BayGene

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ames and Julian's

(If I can remember after 50 years)
Ames was on the second floor about 100 feet east of the Northeast corner of Broadway and 44th Street. Easy to spot, it was behind the "smoking" Camel sign.

Julian's Billiard Academy was above the Academy of Music, next to Luchow's on the south side of 14th Street between Irving Place and Third Avenue. An NYU dorm now stands on the site...as do many NYU dorms on many sites!

Last edited:

Ed Wiggins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not as I recall

The Honeymoon Lane Dance Land was on ground level below Paddy’s 7-11, a 24 hour pool hall

No. It wasn't.
There was a different dime-a-dance joint on the second floor.
The 7-11 was on the third floor.

And the name "Ames" hadn't been on the 44th St. poolroom long before "The Hustler" was made. It was previously named "Elkins".

EW

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used to go to 7-11 back in the 60's and if memory serves me 711 was the address. I think it was 711 Avenue of the Americas.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey guys,

Is this a pic of 7-11 (left side of the pic)? I'm pretty sure it's not Ames' but I'm also only 48 years old so this is all before my time.

poolhall.jpg