Adding weight to a shft question

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i have a torrified maple shaft with reasonable low deflection
it weighs 3.3 oz
i find the cue ball doesnt travel as far with the lower weight per my perceived hit from practice with shafts that weigh 3.8-4.0 oz
of course i can adjust to it if i have to
BUT
here is my question
if a "weight bolt" was put in the bottom of the shaft
it shouldnt affect its deflection characteristics since the end mass is not tinkered with ...right?
i know it will affect the balance point
but what are your thoughts about the pro/con of adding weight to a shaft this way
or another way if you have any ideas
thanks again for your responces
:)

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Half an ounce maximum near the joint can easily be done if your shaft does not have brass insert now.
If it has a 3/8 10 or 11 or even radial tapped hole, adding half an ounce can be done by a competent maker or repair person.
And it doesn't have to be a "bolt".

cuewould

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh yeah

I have weighted several shafts " successfully" .According to their owners. I will only use tungsten. Ray

Ernie eyocues

Ernie Omori
Silver Member
Adding weight to the joint
I add weight to the shaft with different size inserts and with a pin.
I also have different size pins to add weight to the joint.
Hopefully the photos will help.
The cue is 56.5" with a center of gravity at 22.5".

Attachments

• IMG_1072.JPG
    IMG_1072.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_1073.JPG
    IMG_1073.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 99

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
I have weighted many shafts under the joint threaded insert............... it has no noticeable effect on feel or playing characteristics................

Kim

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the weight is like lead shot that fills a space/cavity, it becomes a dead hitting shaft. If the same lead shot is totally encapsulated with resin, it is like a normal hit. If the weight is allowed to move at all in the shaft, it totally effects the hit of the shaft. If the weight is properly secured it does not effect the hit of the shaft. This is correct for carbon fibre shafts.