Why are Schon & Meucci production cues popular?

nancewayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Schon & Meucci cues are makers of higher end production cues (multiply cues of same design, and yes, they both make some custom made cues). There are other desirable makers, also, but I wonder why those two names hold a special interest among collectors of production cues? IMO, they both have great design work, Meucci was a great player cue, not now, Schon has been and still is a great player cue.

Your opinions of these two higher end production cue makers and why are they popular (and still hold a relative high value vs: other production cues?

RD3P

Banned
id say its kindof like....Gibson and fender guitars....

while schon and Meucci are pretty different....Id say Mcdermott and Meucci is a better fit...schon doenst come close in output of cues.

gibson and fender guitars old models wouldnt be collectable if they didnt become two of the biggest guitar manufacturers in the world....

there are so many cuemakers putting out good work that dont have the name recognition...so there cues while collectable will never hold the value....

same way with custom luthiers....im not gonna pay 5 grand for a guit from some guy i never heard of

Last edited:

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Schon Cues are very good cues!
Meucci: no comment

To choose between both would be easy (usualy)- but i think noone usualy would try to compare a Schon with a Meucci - the contrast would be a bit *too* different :p

lg
Ingo

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
As another poster already commented, Schon and Meucci in the same breath? Yes, both are cuemakers. Both have been around for about the same length of time. They now build cues for a somewhat different clientele. Although Schon builds a lot of cues, most knowledgeable people would still consider them a "custom" cue maker. Their quality of build has really never changed. Yes, the points are no longer points. They are rounded instead. I've seen multi-thousand dollar cues with CNC work in them. Meucci went mass market. Nothing wrong with that but, that market is dominated by foreign imports. Whats the difference in build quality there? Schon's always hit stiff. Meucci's are likened to a whip instead. I've played with both. Through the eighty's with a Meucci. Mike Sigel brought one into our pool room and sold lots of them. Went through a ferrule a month with the Meucci's in those days. Have played through the '90's up to today with a Schon. Still play daily with the original shaft (and ferrule) from my first Schon.

Lyn

ShootingRazbone

He got all the rolls
Silver Member
25 years ago I shot with meucci, helmstetter, and a McDermott when McDermott wasn't much. Once I shot with a Schon it was all over. Just a matter of affording a nice one. I have had 2 since and will never sell mine now. It is a Runde Schon BTW. It's not the hit persay but the diameter of the Butt. There is something about the skinny butt of the Schon in my hand. ( does that sound funny?) There are a ton of sticks out there now with a stiffer hit then mine but I'll stick to my Schon.

Side note: A Runde Schon is NOT the same as the production cues Schon is coming with today! Not even close.

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
When I started playing league pool it was a Moose League. If you needed or wanted a cue that was reasonable you bought it either from the person selling Muecci or McD's. They sold them at a discount compared to the Billiard store so players bought them. For most players they weren't aware of any other brand.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
In the 80's meucci's were very popular. Wouldn't really say they are now. Schons have had a reputation for playing well for a long time. In the 80's there were one of the better cues out there, as was joss. Schon and Joss still play pretty consistently throughout their cue lines.

When I started playing the cues available easily were Joss, Schon, Mcdermott, Meucci, Viking, and Mali's. Cost wise the ran in about that order as well. Wasn't the 1,000 custom makers then, only a handfull that you would hear about. Was no internet to help sell customs, just paper flyers and catalogs.

Would say the popularity of those production cues go back to when people first started playing. And of course now you can get a fairly fancy looking cue from most of those makers for less than you could touch a fancy custom. Personally I'll stick to the customs. Know the makers that make cues the way I like them, and don't have a crap shoot of trying to find a cue I like.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
I play with a Schon STL-5 with a Predator 314/2 shaft and am well satisfied with it's performance. I've owned three Schons and all were excellent players.
I've never owned a Meucci so I really can't comment on them, although many people have had great success with them.
By-the-way, I consider Schon a semi-production cue company.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
Schon & Meucci cues are makers of higher end production cues (multiply cues of same design, and yes, they both make some custom made cues). There are other desirable makers, also, but I wonder why those two names hold a special interest among collectors of production cues? IMO, they both have great design work, Meucci was a great player cue, not now, Schon has been and still is a great player cue.

Your opinions of these two higher end production cue makers and why are they popular (and still hold a relative high value vs: other production cues?

First, there is no comparison between Schon and Meucci cue. Meucci cues are bottom of the line these days, and Schon is most likely the best Production cue ever made. There is no comparison between the two, in Craftsmanship, Materials, or in my opinion playability.

JIMO

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Side note: A Runde Schon is NOT the same as the production cues Schon is coming with today! Not even close.

Beg to differ with you. My nearly twenty year old six windows Schon hits every bit as well as the Runde version made a year or so before. Played with both. Yes, Runde Schon's are more collectable. But that's not what we are talking about here. Playability is. Try them blindfolded sometime. If you have, then we will agree to disagree.

Lyn

Tex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does Schon make sneaky petes?

Schon's version of a sneaky pete was the CX-25 or "Black Widow"
Black ebony butt into birdseye or curly maple forearm, stainless joint, no wrap, no inlays, no rings, non of the tacky crap. all business.
Perfect !

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Thanks, except for the joint, it sounds perfect.

Schon's version of a sneaky pete was the CX-25 or "Black Widow"
Black ebony butt into birdseye or curly maple forearm, stainless joint, no wrap, no inlays, no rings, non of the tacky crap. all business.
Perfect !

knifemaker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
schon and meucci

In the late 70's 78/79 I had a meucci rifleman that Bob put a steel joint on for me and it played great Buddy hit balls with it and said it hit as good as any cue he had hit with at that time.
I also had a Schon in 79 that was a great cue better than the Meucci but totally different with hit and style. It was a 4 point ebony into birdseye maple with a ivory diamond in each point and a bigger ivory diamond lined up perfect in the butt. Why I sold either is beyond me I guess not playing had something to do with it. I would like to have both back, as others would like to have their old cues back as well.
Now I have a Carolina Custom coming and hope it is as good as the Schon and others have told me they are very good cues, and I know the customer service is as good as it gets.
Percy

jlrowe

Billiards,Boxing & Babes
Silver Member
Well to answer your question. IMO they are popular or collectable especially the meucci because if you played pool in the 80's and very early 90's everyone owned or wanted a meucci and they were very appealing in design especially to the new players. So i think this makes them desirable because of the nostalgia. At that time also schon and joss were considered great players. But schon really stepped up their designs leaving joss's bland looks less desirable. And schon sort of used prestige pricing to make their cues more desirable but then again they also used higher quality materials such as ivory.

Last edited:

smoooothstroke

JerLaw
Silver Member
you answered your own question

Meuccci once made a very nice cue and that is why they are still popular.I do think that Meucci cues are losing popularity fast except for the origionals.

Schon production cues hit nice and are good quality.

Last edited: