Leagues

RackemBilliards

Player, Room Owner
Silver Member
We've recently added beer and wine sales after 23 years without. The main reason was to take advantage of the nationally sanctioned leagues, which obviously is a dominant segment of the pool market at this time. We have APA, TAP, and BCA, but my question is how many room owners own their own league franchises? Is it worthwhile, or better to let someone else own it and bring them in? I can see advantages and disadvantages to both. It would be nice to not have to worry about it ever leaving, and I'm sure there's some money to be made, but it is a lot of work also. Specifically speaking, if you could buy an APA franchise and hire someone to run it, would you consider it? Thanks for any info.

Dave Smith
oldschoolpool.com

DeepocketsAlvin

Registered
We have thought about it but like you mentioned, It is alot of work. We have to different pool leagues twice a week at our place. It brings in business on those nights that would ordinarily have been slow which makes us some money. I know there is money to be made by owning the league but Im not sure how much or if it would be
worth all the work that goes into it.

Professor

Registered
We do an in-house leage in my room. It is small and we don't send teams to Vegas. However, from my perspective it works in that it gets people into the poolroom on what otherwise might be a slow night, and on other nights as well. Furthermore, it doesn't involve handicapping and there are no alternate players, so every team member plays every week. If you are interested there is a full description of how it is structured on the Room Owners Private forum on the Southern Billiards discussion board. The title of the post is "In-house League . . ." The Room Owners forum on that discussin board is a "private" forum, so you have to be granted access to it to read, post, or reply so I'm not sure but, I think the following direct link will at least let you read it. Then if you have any questions or suggestions please let me know.

In-house League at Southern Billiards

The above link lets me read it but, the board recognizes my computer and logs me in. Hopefully it will let you read it; if it doesn't just let me know and I'll try something different.

Last edited:

bboxgrinder

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
NAPA Leagues

We've recently added beer and wine sales after 23 years without. The main reason was to take advantage of the nationally sanctioned leagues, which obviously is a dominant segment of the pool market at this time. We have APA, TAP, and BCA, but my question is how many room owners own their own league franchises? Is it worthwhile, or better to let someone else own it and bring them in? I can see advantages and disadvantages to both. It would be nice to not have to worry about it ever leaving, and I'm sure there's some money to be made, but it is a lot of work also. Specifically speaking, if you could buy an APA franchise and hire someone to run it, would you consider it? Thanks for any info.

Dave Smith
oldschoolpool.com

APA franchises are not cheap but probably the best growth potential with their 23 HC rule as a business owner. TAP I doubt is very cheap either. You could check out the new NAPA leagues. I have heard their franchise fees are good and the players are pretty pleased with their HC system. AND they handle ALL of the stats etc., you just have to send the score sheets. They also just had their 1st national championships which AZ's BigTruck live streamed and the ownership seemed to have good praise from the participants. I hope this helps, good luck with it. Also sorry to see another "traditional" non alchohol pool hall have to go to it to help survive.

North American Pool Shooters Association
http://www.napaleagues.com

Goldy

Beating The Internet
Silver Member
NAPA Leagues are realtively cheap compared to APA, TAP, and BCA.. I think you could get into NAPA right now for less than ~$2000.00 a county depending on population. Plus you could earn extra income from promoting the league in your area and making your room the hub for it.

Just a thought..

Zach
Central Ohio NAPA
614-750-POOL

RackemBilliards

Player, Room Owner
Silver Member
Replies

Thanks for the replies. We'll soon have leagues on 5 nights a week, and have 3 nights now. The in-house league sounds interesting, but these are working well for now. I suppose it's like any other customer-if you treat them right they have no reason to go elsewhere. We're trying hard to do that.