What about a transparent cue ball, as a help to teach beginners, how to aim right?

al-capool

Imagine all the people...
Silver Member
To all of you who are already giving or gave some pool lessons to beginners:

When it comes to the theme of aiming right, there are some persons who misinterpreting and some even misunderstanding the 2 most common ways of explaining and showing, how to aim right!

- The "invisible" cueball right behind the object ball, on the same line toward pocket!

- A half ball away right behind the objectball in direction pocket!

Some are even using a laser pointer who shows "only" the exact hitting point as a help!
You can explain it, design it and repeat it, that they can imagine one or both systems of aiming…?!
Not very easy for every beginner to get it like that!

Well about 2 months ago I suddenly had the Idea to buy in a Do-it-yourself shop a transparent Plastic ball and if I won't find one there to let make one! It just must have the same diameter as the cueball.
Please don't laugh too long, because at least IMO you could place that transparent cueball right behind the object ball on the same line toward pocket and like that you could show for real and explain it much easier where the cueball has to go, for hitting the objectball at the right point, to put it in!

OR WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT MY IDEA?

P.S. I hope that most of you did understand good enough my bad and Swiss influenced English, to know what and how I meant it?!

Last edited:

Gtortuga

I was thinking the exact same thing the other day. I think it would be a very beneficial training aid. One thing that I would do is (if its possible) put a neon green ball in the very center (the core) of the cueball, about the size of a cue tip. This way when the ghostball is behind the object ball one can see where contact point of the cue tip should be in relation to the object ball

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those are good ideas....

If it was only to be used as a visual prop, I think this could be done out of acrylic or polyurethane, or clear ABS. Polyurethane would probably be the best choice.

If it was intended to be played with, it could be difficult finding a clear material that also has the same density as regulation ball material does.

al-capool

Silver Member
Those are good ideas....

If it was only to be used as a visual prop, I think this could be done out of acrylic or polyurethane, or clear ABS. Polyurethane would probably be the best choice.

If it was intended to be played with, it could be difficult finding a clear material that also has the same density as regulation ball material does.

NO, I would use it only as a visual help! For showing and explaining. Not to play with it! That's why a plasticball with the same diameter as the cueball, would be already enough...

DeadStick

i like turtles
Gold Member
Silver Member
Good idea, but the inevitable distortion coming from the "lens effect" of a spherical clear ball might make it unsuitable for the stated purposes.

Try looking through a glass marble or glass rod to get an idea of the problem.

al-capool

Silver Member
Good idea, but the inevitable distortion coming from the "lens effect" of a spherical clear ball might make it unsuitable for the stated purposes.

Try looking through a glass marble or glass rod to get an idea of the problem.

When you're locking trough a transparent ball made of thin acryl, with nothing else than air in the ball, you shouldn''t have that lense effect at all! But even if it would have a little, It wouldn't matter. Because I just need it to show where the cueball has exactly to go, to hit the objectball at the right place, to make it!

Last edited:

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very good idea, however, I don't think reality would work. Have you ever looked through 2 1/4" thick glass? Now add that it would be a sphere, would get smudged and dirty, has light glare, etc. and I think it wouldn't be feasible. Which is too bad because I think your idea has a great deal of merit.

al-capool

Silver Member
So I wasn't really the first who had that idea to make a touchable Ghostball?! LOL

I have one in Pool School and it works well for certain things.

randyg

Helo Randy,
So as a Master Instructor what do you think of my Idea? It could be sometimes a visible and touchable help for showing for example how to aim right? I presume that your "Ghostball" has a thin matt surface made of acryl or another synthetic material and it 's completely empty, filled with nothing else than air! Am I right?
It would be very kind of you, to post a picture of that ball together with an objectball and a cueball lying on a table. So that we can see that there isn't that mentioned lens effect or another shinny and disturbing factor!
Thank you very much for your answer.
Kind regards Roberto

Last edited:

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
Helo Randy,
So as a Master Instructor what do you think of my Idea? It could be sometimes a visible and touchable help for showing for example how to aim right? I presume that your "Ghostball" has a thin matt surface made of acryl or another synthetic material and it 's completely empty, filled with nothing else than air! Am I right?
It would be very kind of you, to post a picture of that ball together with an objectball and a cueball lying on a table. So that we can see that there isn't that mentioned lens effect or another shinny and disturbing factor!
Thank you very much for your answer.
Kind regards Roberto

Hello my friend.

Our see-through cue ball is the same weight as most cue balls. It has a Red Dot in the core for aiming.

I will see what I can do to get one sent to you.

Your friend in Texas
randyg

al-capool

Silver Member
Hello my friend.

Our see-through cue ball is the same weight as most cue balls. It has a Red Dot in the core for aiming.

I will see what I can do to get one sent to you.

Your friend in Texas
randyg

Hello again Randy,
That would be of course an imense favour, if you could send me such a transparent ghostball!
Kind regards your Swiss friend Roberto

Big C

Deep in the heart of TX.
Silver Member
B.a.t.

When it comes to the theme of aiming right, there are some persons who misinterpreting and some even misunderstanding the 2 most common ways of explaining and showing, how to aim right!

- The "invisible" cueball right behind the object ball, on the same line toward pocket!

Some are even using a laser pointer who shows "only" the exact hitting point as a help!
You can explain it, design it and repeat it, that they can imagine one or both systems of aiming…?!

Well about 2 months ago I suddenly had the Idea to buy in a Do-it-yourself shop a transparent Plastic ball and if I won't find one there to let make one! It just must have the same diameter as the cueball.
Please don't laugh too long, because at least IMO you could place that transparent cueball right behind the object ball on the same line toward pocket and like that you could show for real and explain it much easier where the cueball has to go, for hitting the objectball at the right point, to put it in!

P.S. I hope that most of you did understand good enough my bad and Swiss influenced English, to know what and how I meant it?!
Maybe this is what you are looking for?
http://www.dsbat.com/#axzz2yp4YnoTU

al-capool

Silver Member
Maybe this is what you are looking for?
http://www.dsbat.com/#axzz2yp4YnoTU

Thank you Big C,
This looks like an entire very sofisticated and very good aiming help.
But it is not what I'm talking about! I go this after noon at a shop and make a picture of what I'm desperatelly trying to describe.
thx anyway

Something like this:

Attachments

• my Ghostball.jpg
    my Ghostball.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 340
Last edited:

al-capool

Silver Member
Thread is closed / thanks to all of you!

I found these guys upon a google search:

http://www.abcbilliardplus.com/Pages/PersonalizedClearBiliardBalls.htm

It looks like they can make you any set you like, and I would think they already have a clear ball on hand. Their email and phone number is listed. Good luck.

hy iusedtoberich,
That's exaxtly what was floating around in my Imagination and what I was looking for in diff. do-it-yourself shops! Now let's see if they also sell one single ball?!
Thank you very much for that precious information and a big thank you to all of you for these kind and helpfull feedbacks!
P.S. ihopeyougonnaberichagain LOL

THIS THREAD IS CLOSED!

Last edited:

Robert.Beak

Registered
I am just learning

Hello to all! I'm a beginner by the way and was looking for a topic for beginners. I'm still bad at it, but very interesting. I want to train a lot, develop a technique for myself. Who started how? I may have missed the topic a bit, but I haven't found other topics for the new ones. sorry:grin-square:

I wish you all a good sight! :p

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member

Rempe yrs ago, had a template of cue ball striking points, been a long time since I've thought of that, but I'm sure RG knows where to find it. Helps explain striking points on the cue ball.

Robert.Beak

Registered
Rempe yrs ago, had a template of cue ball striking points, been a long time since I've thought of that, but I'm sure RG knows where to find it. Helps explain striking points on the cue ball.

is there any encyclopedias or video tutorials?
I am at home all evenings...
I want to spend them with benefit, otherwise, all these series have already got :mad:

P.S.
I know what practice is the best teacher,
I think so...

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member

It's an excellent idea for several reasons. I helped someone develop this idea a bit some years ago--but pool manufacturers were unable to make a transparent cue ball that was playable, for a low enough cost.

A transparent ball in the dimensions of a cue ball would be a nice aiming aid--as long as students didn't use it for an actual cue ball.