Kim Davenport vs Jimmy Mataya

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just watched this video. Great match! Interesting to see the shooting style difference from back then and today’s players. Didn’t. Realize that Jimmy shot so well. I was actually impressed with his play and stroke. Both players missed some balls but never the less great playing and fun match to watch. Terrible quality but I guess beggars can’t be choosers.

https://youtu.be/u6ZlBY76kU8

Sent from my iPad using AzBilliards Forums

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That table played pretty slow. Looked like an early Diamond table. 9 ball player on tables like that with a wooden rack is a different game. Much harder if you ask me.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Only difference I noticed was when balls are pocketed on the break and you scratch the balls are spotted and you shoot from behind head string. I actually like that rule.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

There was a stretch where the balls sunk on the break were spotted on a scratch, and the incoming player got ball in hand. Too many early 9-ball combos.

If you think 9-ball had a lot of rules changes, 10-ball today is totally unrecognizable.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
That table played pretty slow. Looked like an early Diamond table. 9 ball player on tables like that with a wooden rack is a different game. Much harder if you ask me.

Players who got into the game this century have no idea how much more difficult supper equipment is to play on.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just watched this video. Great match! Interesting to see the shooting style difference from back then and today’s players. Didn’t. Realize that Jimmy shot so well. I was actually impressed with his play and stroke. Both players missed some balls but never the less great playing and fun match to watch. Terrible quality but I guess beggars can’t be choosers.

https://youtu.be/u6ZlBY76kU8

Sent from my iPad using AzBilliards Forums
Mataya is still considered one of the best all around players of all time, winning all-around titles in the early 70’s, and the World 8-ball championship in the mid-70’s. Even though he was well past his peak, he won the McDermott Masters in the late 80’s when Strickland, Varner, Hall, and Efren were in their primes. (Or was that 2nd in the early 90’s?)

He’s one of the reasons I play this game, and I think he should be in the Hall of Fame.

Last edited:

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mataya is still considered one of the best all around players of all time, winning all-around titles in the early 70’s, and the World 8-ball championship in the mid-70’s. Even though he was well past his peak, he won the McDermott Masters in the late 80’s when Strickland, Varner, Hall, and Efren were in their primes.

He’s one of the reasons I play this game, and I think he should be in the Hall of Fame.

Never really paid much attention to his game. I heard the gambling stories. But, that doesn’t always mean a strong player. I like his game even if he does go for the cheese every chance he gets.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting seeing Mataya playing with a perfect pendulum stroke throughout that match...he moved the CB quite easily with little effort! Fun to watch!

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

Mataya is still considered one of the best all around players of all time, winning all-around titles in the early 70’s, and the World 8-ball championship in the mid-70’s. Even though he was well past his peak, he won the McDermott Masters in the late 80’s when Strickland, Varner, Hall, and Efren were in their primes. (Or was that 2nd in the early 90’s?)

surffisher2a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Buckle up dude. There will be plenty of surf up your way but the catching might be a little tough. Good luck to you.

Thanks, everything good here. A lot of people without power, but fortunately I am not one of them this time.

PS -- I saw someone say that table was playing slow, I thought just the opposite, At least the early matches its looks fairly lively.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never heard someone who's judgement I respected ever mention Mataya as among the greatest all-around players. Until today.

I still don't think that's accurate. Actually not even close but it's an interesting take.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

I agree about the HOF for Pretty Boy Floyd. I’ve never seen a video that really showed
the charisma that Jimmy had. He had the Rack in Detroit hypnotized when he would
start making a game.
One of the most enjoyable 9-ball tournament matches I saw live was Jimmy and Keith..
..they talked and joked and told stories...probably both shot in the .900 range...
...Keith won it hill-hill...and Jimmy shook hands with a big smile.
...those guys could give it...and they could take it.