2018 AZB Ghost Challenge - Official Thread

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm new to the site and recently started playing again. I had not heard of the ghost term but have been playing it a lot lately.

I have a bar box and was finding it really frustrating trying to beat the ghost 2 times in a row.

A few mornings ago, I went up the road to a bar that just got 2 larger tables. I played 9-ball (and then 6 ball, just to get my money's worth).

I ended up beating the ghost 4-1 and took BIH 3 times. The one game I lost, I tried playing with where the CB landed.

I most likely need new felt and probably new cushions on my table which my help a little but does anyone else find it a little easier playing on a larger table?

Player

I'm your huckleberry
Silver Member
Yeah, a bigger table gives you a little more room to get around on and usually the balls spread out better. You get some longer shots but as long as your aim is good that doesn't make too much difference.

Sounds like you were doing better on the bigger table.

Welcome aboard!

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm new to the site and recently started playing again. I had not heard of the ghost term but have been playing it a lot lately.

I have a bar box and was finding it really frustrating trying to beat the ghost 2 times in a row.

A few mornings ago, I went up the road to a bar that just got 2 larger tables. I played 9-ball (and then 6 ball, just to get my money's worth).

I ended up beating the ghost 4-1 and took BIH 3 times. The one game I lost, I tried playing with where the CB landed.

I most likely need new felt and probably new cushions on my table which my help a little but does anyone else find it a little easier playing on a larger table?

Most of the players I know do better on bar box tables when racing the ghost.

On diamond bar boxes I fade the ghost in a race to 7 around 25% of the time. The rest of the time I still win, but it will average 7 to 1....or 7 to 2 range.

I seldom lose to ghost on bar box playing 9 ball with magic rack with B.I.H after break.

However, on my 9' diamond I rarely fade the ghost no matter what. My odds on big table are ~75% to win in race to 7. Score usually ends in 7 - 1.....to 7 - 3 range with magic rack and B.I.H.....but fade the ghost .....lol.....probably 10% or less.

To me, the big tables are more difficult but also more fun. I wish I had your problem with big tables being easier than small tables.

What table do you have? What size pockets? What type felt? There is a huge difference from table to table depending on pockets, felt and cushions that you mentioned earlier.

Either way, welcome to the forum. We are glad to see anyone making an effort to participate in this thread.

BTW, a video is not required but we all try to put a vid up of our races. Not so much as to prove anything but more to share our game no matter how good or bad we may play.

Again, welcome and we look forward to a video if possible.

Rake

Last edited:

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What table do you have? What size pockets? What type felt? There is a huge difference from table to table depending on pockets, felt and cushions that you mentioned earlier.

It's probably a 50 year old Valley 6ft coin op. It measures 74'' by 37'' with 4 1/4'' pockets. The table belonged to my buddy. We played on it at a very young age. When I built my house some years ago, he asked if I would "store" it in my FROG. When 5 of us managed to get the table up the 6 stairs above my garage, he said "it's yours" and laughed.

I recently asked him about the felt and he said he put new felt on around 2000 but did not change the cushions.

While the felt does not have any holes or scratches, it is in obvious need of replacement along with the cushions. There is sooo much difference in the roll from my table to the table up the street.

I recently was quoted a price for new felt and cushions and it was $719.00.

My room could easily hold a larger table and I need to decide if I want to invest $719 or sell it and purchase a new(er) larger table.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It's probably a 50 year old Valley 6ft coin op. It measures 74'' by 37'' with 4 1/4'' pockets. The table belonged to my buddy. We played on it at a very young age. When I built my house some years ago, he asked if I would "store" it in my FROG. When 5 of us managed to get the table up the 6 stairs above my garage, he said "it's yours" and laughed.

I recently asked him about the felt and he said he put new felt on around 2000 but did not change the cushions.

While the felt does not have any holes or scratches, it is in obvious need of replacement along with the cushions. There is sooo much difference in the roll from my table to the table up the street.

I recently was quoted a price for new felt and cushions and it was $719.00.

My room could easily hold a larger table and I need to decide if I want to invest $719 or sell it and purchase a new(er) larger table.

I suggest you think about the following:

1. Whats the biggest table will my room will hold and still have enough room around it to play?

2. What brand table do I want?

3. What size table do I want?

4. Can I afford it.

To me, it was simple. I knew I wanted a 9' table. The hard part was deciding which table and from whom.

After measuring and remeasurin my space I confirmed that I had enough room. I then made an effort to play on as many different tables as I could.

Well, as for which table: I realized that most halls and bars that have tournaments that attract my type of players have Diamond tables. With that in mind, always try to practice on the same equipment you will match up on.

So, I then proceeded to purchase what I (meaning wife)...lol... decided I could afford (have)...lol.

I looked high and low for a used diamond but it was about same price to buy new after having it moved and recovered by a reputable table guy so I decided to spend a few hundred extra and buy a new table.

It took me almost a year from time of looking at tables to actually having one in my home.

What ever you decide just remember that any table is better than no table.

Rake

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
$4000 Billiard University (BU) Exam I 100 Challenge

For those who like playing-ability video challenges, check out the 2018 $4000 Billiard University (BU) Exam I 100 Challenge. You just need to post a video of yourself taking BU Exam I (Fundamentals Exam). There is no cost to enter. We are paying out $4000 to the top three scores (including a $500 bonus available for a perfect score of 100).

I hope some AZB'ers win some of the money. I just posted a video with a score of 82 to give you guys something to beat. My goal is to reach 90 before the end of the contest, and I really hope somebody (maybe a pro) can post a perfect score of 100. Hopefully, the $2500 top prize is high enough to attract some top players, given that no travel or other expenses are required.

The BU Exams are excellent practice and I always feel my game elevate a little when I dedicate focused practice time to the Exams.

Good luck and have fun,
Dave

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For those who like playing-ability video challenges, check out the 2018 $4000 Billiard University (BU) Exam I 100 Challenge. You just need to post a video of yourself taking BU Exam I (Fundamentals Exam). There is no cost to enter. We are paying out $4000 to the top three scores (including a $500 bonus available for a perfect score of 100).

I hope some AZB'ers win some of the money. I just posted a video with a score of 82 to give you guys something to beat. My goal is to reach 90 before the end of the contest, and I really hope somebody (maybe a pro) can post a perfect score of 100. Hopefully, the $2500 top prize is high enough to attract some top players, given that no travel or other expenses are required.

The BU Exams are excellent practice and I always feel my game elevate a little when I dedicate focused practice time to the Exams.

Good luck and have fun,
Dave

I will give it a go as soon as I read over it and see what is expected.

Rake

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
First time I've checked out this thread. I must say it's very impressive to see so many guys who can beat the ghost. Particularly impressed with poolmanis who did it without BIH. It's nice to see some of the people who post on here actually shooting pool. We have a lot of good players on AZ!

I see all different styles and stances, as well as different ways of stroking the ball, and a variety of cue types from old style plain maple to the new Revo stuff. I would say most of these guys are solid B players or shortstop speed. Also notice the big difference between a 4.5" pocket and 4.25" one. I see balls going down here that would stand up on my Diamond. Still a worthy achievement to be able to beat the ghost.

I've never actually tried it yet. My practice routine consists of throwing all nine balls on the table and spreading them out, then taking BIH to start. I'm still losing to the ghost if I was keeping score. I need more practice, lol. Another difference is that playing the ghost and breaking, all balls made stay down. So, in many racks the player only has to make seven or eight balls. That helps a lot!

I'm a 73 year old man trying to play like I did at 33 :wink:. I've got a long ways to go, but my game is improving slowly day by day. I don't put in hours every day, usually only playing for an hour or two. But my stroke is coming back and I'm starting to pocket balls I was missing last month. I may be ready to challenge the ghost in another month or two.

Good shooting to all of you who posted on this thread! I'm a little bit jealous. :)

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First time I've checked out this thread. I must say it's very impressive to see so many guys who can beat the ghost. Particularly impressed with poolmanis who did it without BIH. It's nice to see some of the people who post on here actually shooting pool. We have a lot of good players on AZ!

I see all different styles and stances, as well as different ways of stroking the ball, and a variety of cue types from old style plain maple to the new Revo stuff. I would say most of these guys are solid B players or shortstop speed. Also notice the big difference between a 4.5" pocket and 4.25" one. I see balls going down here that would stand up on my Diamond. Still a worthy achievement to be able to beat the ghost.

I've never actually tried it yet. My practice routine consists of throwing all nine balls on the table and spreading them out, then taking BIH to start. I'm still losing to the ghost if I was keeping score. I need more practice, lol. Another difference is that playing the ghost and breaking, all balls made stay down. So, in many racks the player only has to make seven or eight balls. That helps a lot!

I'm a 73 year old man trying to play like I did at 33 :wink:. I've got a long ways to go, but my game is improving slowly day by day. I don't put in hours every day, usually only playing for an hour or two. But my stroke is coming back and I'm starting to pocket balls I was missing last month. I may be ready to challenge the ghost in another month or two.

Good shooting to all of you who posted on this thread! I'm a little bit jealous. :)

Thanks Jay.
You only need 30min to 1-hour practice if you emphasize quality(and do it 2-7 times per week). Especially if one already had skills earlier(I had to kinda re-learn my game due 7 year break because bad rheumatism).
Happy shooting and try Ghost even once per year! :wink:

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
Do most all of the az members beat the ghost with ease or does the ghost torture them? The reason I'm asking is because there is very little traffic in this thread.

I had never heard the phrase "race the ghost" before joining this site. Do most consider it to be a good practice or gauge tool or a waste of Time?

Myself, well, I consider the time I spent with the ghost to be extremely helpful to not just gauge my progress but to also make progress.

I'm just curious,

Rake

The main thing I get out of playing the ghost is that I believe it is the closest thing to a game simulation there is due to the added pressure of running the rack. I play the ghost often but typically only have time for four or five games and have no way of recording it. Most of my practice time is spent doing drills.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The main thing I get out of playing the ghost is that I believe it is the closest thing to a game simulation there is due to the added pressure of running the rack. I play the ghost often but typically only have time for four or five games and have no way of recording it. Most of my practice time is spent doing drills.

To me, a drill is something you do the same, over and over again.

Well, I rack and break certain ways so I end up with relatively the same patterns when I play the ghost and for those very reasons, I consider playing the ghost nothing more than a drill.

In 9 and 10 ball I have several rack patterns that give almost the same layout so I can pattern rack without actually breaking the pattern-racking rules since I'm not using the same rack order every time.

Just the other day, a guy ask me how I got the 1 threw 5 on one end of table and 6 threw 10 on other end after break....every time even though i was using a different pattern each and every time I rack for 8 racks in a row.

I showed him, it is nothing more than a high/low system, rather than a particular ball here or there.

Anyways, I could not keep my game with just 4 or 5 racks each session.....no way. I would play even worse than I do now.

Rake

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi. Been awhile.
I could not get to my account after site was down. After that I was really busy-
Got some tournaments and started my own company. A lot of paperwork due that.

I also did some table tuning and now got new rails and Simonis 860 HR cloth on my table.
Finally it is not slowest table on earth anymore. Pockets are crazy tight but I changed pocket facing angle just a tad. They seem to play more fair now even they are tighter than used to be. TDF from Dr. Dave showed 1.14

I also finally did buy new cue. I decided to try Mezz with WD700 shaft(after testing over 20 cues..). So now I play pretty low deflection cue too. I played it now almost two weeks and it is starting to feel okay and I can say my shot making accuracy is about 10%-15% better. Even I still miss some shots because played all my life with solid maple shaft.

So a lot happened after last time I posted but I have feeling I will do Ghost more regular basis and will be even stronger. After i really start to get used to low deflection. :)
Anyways here is my 9-ball ghost with 7-3 win(played 06/13/2018). It have even Efren-kinda moments with it :D
https://youtu.be/j_LLHgGDRlc

DWreckTheBoss

Registered
Thanks, I have not played much 10 ball. As a matter of fact, I played 10 ball for the first time just last year. I learned very quick that it is much different from 9 ball.

I knew you was busy with something cause I had not saw a post from in a bit. I too, like a lot of folks on here, have health issues that slow me down and sometimes, stops me in my tracks for a few days.

As always I really enjoy this thread. I wished more az...members would participate in the ghost challenge.

Like I ask in a post above, why do most all not participate with the challenge? I understand that the ghost does little to help safeties but at the same time, I don't care how good a player is at safes if he can't run balls.....he/she will lose.

This thread should be more popular than it is. I'm sure there are some good players that would help others if they showed their patterns...breaks.....etc.

Rake

I enjoy playing the ghost. I have learned a lot by doing that. I will try to record myself getting beat by the ghost next time I am at the pool hall on a non league night. (The tables are ridiculously poor and hard to run on. They are triple shimmed, but there is something funny with perhaps the throat angle vs the mouth angle because balls hang up a lot, even at pocket speeds. There is also something wrong with the shelf, because it actually rolls balls back toward the table when a ball is in the jaws. Plus the damn pockets hang down, so if you get out of line, firing a ball in will just hop it off the table, or back onto the table.) Basically I cannot beat the ghost unless I am just on fire.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I enjoy playing the ghost. I have learned a lot by doing that. I will try to record myself getting beat by the ghost next time I am at the pool hall on a non league night. (The tables are ridiculously poor and hard to run on. They are triple shimmed, but there is something funny with perhaps the throat angle vs the mouth angle because balls hang up a lot, even at pocket speeds. There is also something wrong with the shelf, because it actually rolls balls back toward the table when a ball is in the jaws. Plus the damn pockets hang down, so if you get out of line, firing a ball in will just hop it off the table, or back onto the table.) Basically I cannot beat the ghost unless I am just on fire.

Where in Houston do you play?

DWreckTheBoss

Registered
Where in Houston do you play?

Fast Eddie's Fuqua for league and value.

Used to play at Big Daddys and Deep Pockets in Alvin. Some at Legends in Clear Lake. Occasionally we will hit up Big Tyme or Bogies East. Have even stopped at Q-Ball for some snooker and even played some 3-C on heated tables somewhere downtown-ish.