14.1 mod etc.

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is branching off from my 9-ball 10-ball middle ground thread...

Neither of the above two games give me the same fun factor as 14.1; I don't sweat nearly as much playing 9-ball and I can find myself feeling apathy about the match in 9-ball tournaments (probably my problem). 10-ball kind of helps but isn't really the same, 1p is an amazing game but only if both opponents are in the mood, and AMRO is a great game all around which comes close, but isn't as scary as 14.1. Straight pool seems to have the puzzle solving, surgery, and devastating consequences that epitimize pocket billiards.

Question: A lot of you guys were probably around during the prime 14.1 days. Was there anything you saw that shortened 14.1 games without removing the fear from the game? Clearly a race to 50 is a great short game, but do you know of anything else that was tried and tested?

I am thinking about 14.1 race to 50 with special side-pocket blocker inserts (prevents balls from hiding in side pocket corners) as something that could be small tourney worthy as a short game.

(Posting in the Main forum to capture input from most)

Enjoy your Thursday.

Nate

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
T ... I am thinking about 14.1 race to 50 with special side-pocket blocker inserts (prevents balls from hiding in side pocket corners) as something that could be small tourney worthy as a short game.
So your plan is to destroy proper compact rack clearance by removing half the needed pockets?

I think a better tournament would be to play to 20 points as a chip lightning tournament.

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So your plan is to destroy proper compact rack clearance by removing half the needed pockets?

I think a better tournament would be to play to 20 points as a chip lightning tournament.

Chip lightning? What is that?

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Respectively
I have yet to see a traditional game improved upon

Including the new"small pocket craze"

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've not played 14.1 in weeks. Been playing mostly 10 ball and AR.

14.1 race to anything less than 75 is way to short if players are very seasoned, of course depending on table conditions but, if talking 4.5" or bigger on 9' table with fast cloth? Well, yeah, 50 IMO is just a little to quick.

To me, a 14.1 race to 50 is = to 9 ball race to 5. Just to fast.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Nothing wrong with looking for another flavor of a game you enjoy, as long as you don't tinker with the normal version of it.

A short version of 14.1, which I haven't seen played in about 40 years, is called 20 and stop, meaning that once you pocket twenty balls in an inning, you must play a safety.

I've also seen short races to 20 that were played with a 20 no-count rule, meaning any inning in which you ran less than 20 counted as 0.

Both "20 and stop" and "20 no count" were usually used in a handicap situation, where the stronger player would be restricted to the specialized rules but not the weaker, but each version can be played with the restrictions applicable to both players.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Back when we were kids just learning the game (not mentally sophisticated enough yet to deal with patterns/break-shots/etc.), we played ‘line up’. Straight pool without racking...race to whatever short score time would allow.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've not played 14.1 in weeks. Been playing mostly 10 ball and AR.

14.1 race to anything less than 75 is way to short if players are very seasoned, of course depending on table conditions but, if talking 4.5" or bigger on 9' table with fast cloth? Well, yeah, 50 IMO is just a little to quick.

To me, a 14.1 race to 50 is = to 9 ball race to 5. Just to fast.

Ha you’d hate what I play then...typically:

14.1 race to 30/50
8-Ball race to 5/7
9-Ball race to 5/7

I.e. 3 short sets, a different game each set.

That said I agree with you in reality, it’s way too short for a proper session of 14.1.