Which ball set should I buy?

skipbales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I posted this as part of a post in the Mechanics section and I know there is an equipment section as well but I am looking for very general opinions. There are 124 players viewing this section and 4 on each of the others. I am not looking just for professional opinions or technical analysis, just practical advice from my fellow players.

I read reviews but they seem to be slanted towards whatever they are selling. One rated Diamond Cyclops the top and another didn't mention it at all. One rated the Aramith Crowne over the Aramith Pro. I don't know what they were considering unless it was price. The Pro and Tournament are much more expensive so I would assume the quality should be better then the Crowne but that is just an assumption.

I also don't know when I am paying for status and no longer going to be able to tell any difference.

Aramith has the Crowne $98, Premium $164, Pro $262, and Tournament Pro $340 and the new Pro Tournament Cup $387.

Diamond seems to make one level, the Cyclops $240. There are also Brusnwick, Empire, Izzy, T and R, Epco, Loto and probably a lot more.

Where should I draw the line? All suggestions appreciated.

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
I posted this as part of a post in the Mechanics section and I know there is an equipment section as well but I am looking for very general opinions. There are 124 players viewing this section and 4 on each of the others. I am not looking just for professional opinions or technical analysis, just practical advice from my fellow players.

I read reviews but they seem to be slanted towards whatever they are selling. One rated Diamond Cyclops the top and another didn't mention it at all. One rated the Aramith Crowne over the Aramith Pro. I don't know what they were considering unless it was price. The Pro and Tournament are much more expensive so I would assume the quality should be better then the Crowne but that is just an assumption.

I also don't know when I am paying for status and no longer going to be able to tell any difference.

Aramith has the Crowne $98, Premium $164, Pro $262, and Tournament Pro $340 and the new Pro Tournament Cup $387.

Diamond seems to make one level, the Cyclops $240. There are also Brusnwick, Empire, Izzy, T and R, Epco, Loto and probably a lot more.

Where should I draw the line? All suggestions appreciated.

Aramith tournament pro or Brunswick Centennials. Everything else will be in second place.

skipbales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Aramith tournament pro or Brunswick Centennials. Everything else will be in second place.

Thanks. What about the difference in the Tournament Pro and the new Tournament Pro-Cup series?
Both seem to feature the "Duramith™ technology with its hi-tech engineered molecular structure enhancing drastically the longevity of the balls while minimizing significantly table cloth wear. With a life-time that exceeds up to 8 times that of the average polyester and phenol-like resins, reaching easily up to 40 years in residential use",

I am not even sure if this is a totally different series than the Tournament Pro. I am guessing the Duramith is just a trade name for their phenol resin but it may also be something totally new?

Also your are saying their is a significant difference in the Premium and Tournament Pro (with or without the cup designation) sets, right?

Last edited:

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glad you posted this question. I’m about to pull the trigger on a new set to and wanted to know what the forum thought was the best performance option out there. It would be nice if we could go to the nearest dealer/showroom and give them all a test drive first.

skipbales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glad you posted this question. I’m about to pull the trigger on a new set to and wanted to know what the forum thought was the best performance option out there. It would be nice if we could go to the nearest dealer/showroom and give them all a test drive first.

To me it is kind of like stereos. One may be better than another but if the frequency is outside me hearing range I am not sure I want to spend money on it.

The range is huge. $25 to $400. So far I am leaning to the Aramith Tournament Pro or Pro Cup set but have not ruled out the Premium set which is half the price.

I just ran across another line of Aramith the dealer is calling the Super Pro Cup line. They are somehow distinguishing these from the Tournament Pro Cup line which they also sell. These are in the $296 range.

Last edited:

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I switched to Cyclops about 1.5 years ago after playing with Aramith Super pros for years. (Both at home and in all the pool halls)

I am very happy with the cyclops and will get another set when needed. They look nice, play great and stay cleaner longer than any other set Ive played with.

My set is the newer style cyclops with the cue ball with a large single dot, not the little eye logo.

Ian

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO, the cyclop set is top notch.

I switched back to my super pros about a year ago, after playing with the cyclop for about a year and I am about done with that experiment. (Can anybody find that thread?)

The aramith get clingy far too quickly and play too light (as in low mass), vs the cyclop set.

The skittles palette cyclop set is horrible. Glad I went standard.

All that said: super pro, centennial, cyclop, duramith...all great choices. Buy from reputable dealer.

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks. What about the difference in the Tournament Pro and the new Tournament Pro-Cup series?
Both seem to feature the "Duramith™ technology with its hi-tech engineered molecular structure enhancing drastically the longevity of the balls while minimizing significantly table cloth wear. With a life-time that exceeds up to 8 times that of the average polyester and phenol-like resins, reaching easily up to 40 years in residential use",

I am not even sure if this is a totally different series than the Tournament Pro. I am guessing the Duramith is just a trade name for their phenol resin but it may also be something totally new?

Also your are saying their is a significant difference in the Premium and Tournament Pro (with or without the cup designation) sets, right?

Aramith Tournament with the Duramith. I don't know about the Tournament Pro. Maybe a coloring change?

skipbales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I switched back to my super pros about a year ago, after playing with the cyclop for about a year and I am about done with that experiment. (Can anybody find that thread?)

The aramith get clingy far too quickly and play too light (as in low mass), vs the cyclop set.

All that said: super pro, centennial, cyclop, duramith...all great choices. Buy from reputable dealer.

So you prefer the Cyclops to the Super Pro? Also what about the Tournament Pro or Tournament Pro Cup from Aramith witht the Duramith resin?

:confused:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Exactly. NO ONE likes fake balls. ;) I grew up on Centennials but i gotta admit after some time with them the Cyclops do play good. I was anti when they first showed up but current sets play fine.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
I had the orig set of cyclop balls and they were disappointing. I can't comment on the newer cyclop balls as I haven't tried them but my gut tells me made in Asia (cyclop) is not going to be as good a choice as the Aramith Belgian made balls which really are the standard.

With that said, centennials, super pros and duramith tourneys will not disappoint.

A HUGE key and as someone already pointed out, is to buy from a known (authorized) Aramith seller or you might end up with a set of knockoffs.

best,
brian kc

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would get whatever they use in your league/tournaments. All I get to play in is a local pool league and then the big CSI tournaments in Vegas, so I went with Cyclop. IMO they play great!

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the Brunswick Centennials, always have & I have a set of Crowns too, but they are in the box. And I like the Measles Cue Ball...

I've been playing for 60 years...

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cyclop is best bang for the buck. I got the original skittle balls and love them. If you do go with Aramith, Duramith is what you want. Everything else in the Aramith line is inferior to Cyclop.

You have to ask yourself if you want to pay a little for great balls, or much more for very slightly better ones.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cyclop is best bang for the buck. I got the original skittle balls and love them. If you do go with Aramith, Duramith is what you want. Everything else in the Aramith line is inferior to Cyclop.

You have to ask yourself if you want to pay a little for great balls, or much more for very slightly better ones.
You might get a few more ball-burn marks but i'd be hard pressed to call Aramiths inferior products. I've never seen Aramiths chip-n-crack from routine play but have seen it with Cyclop. Cyclop is a good ball for the price but they're still learning.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
I have all three sets. Brunswick Centennials, Aramith super pros and Cyclop and the first two have been parked since I bought the Cyclop balls. I will buy another set when I change my cloth soon, Then I will have a practice set and a match set.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
My choice is always aramith crown, ive bought em off ebay 75 new and shipped

Love the classic look