Illegal use of bridge?

Saturated Fats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is it legal to set a mechanical bridge/rest across the table with one end on a long rail and the other end on the other long rail?

From there, the player could either rest his cue on the bridge stick for a reach shot or rest his bridge hand on the bridge stick for an elevated shot.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WPA rules are as follows:

“(c) Mechanical Bridges – The player may use up to two mechanical bridges to support the cue stick during the shot. The configuration of the bridges is up to the player. He may use his own bridge if it is similar to standard bridges.”

I believe that means in your scenario the bridge is “supporting the cue stick during the shot” and would be allowed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Saturated Fats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looking a little deeper, this is the part that still bothers me:

1.3 Player’s Use of Equipment

The equipment must meet existing WPA equipment specifications. In general, players are not permitted to introduce novel equipment into the game. The following uses, among others, are considered normal. If the player is uncertain about a particular use of equipment, he should discuss it with the tournament management prior to the start of play. The equipment must be used only for the purpose or in the manner that the equipment was intended. (See 6.17 Unsportsmanlike Conduct.)

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I interpret the intended use is to support the cue stick. I think that section you quoted is about anything else, e.g. support elevating your bridge hand (not stick) or to assist in the measurement/aiming of a shot.

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
The only illegal use is taking the bridge head off and using it as a throwing star. I witnessed it at the APA nationals about 15 years ago, that’s why there aren’t many metal bridge heads made anymore.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
I would interpret the intended purpose is using the bridge head, not the shaft, to support the cue. YMMV

Edit to add: This is simply how I read it. I would have no problem allowing it by my opponent.

Last edited:

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The equipment must meet existing WPA equipment specifications. In general, players are not permitted to introduce novel equipment into the game. The following uses, among others, are considered normal. If the player is uncertain about a particular use of equipment, he should discuss it with the tournament management prior to the start of play. The equipment must be used only for the purpose or in the manner that the equipment was intended. (See 6.17 Unsportsmanlike Conduct.)

You are right being worried as this is the very rule why the proposed use of the bridge is illegal. I consulted WPA ref about this very situation about 3 years ago and the ruling is simple: you can use the bridge ONLY as a support for your cue or as a support for the second bridge; any other use of the bridge is illegal and considered as an unsportmanlike conduct by WPA. Hope this helps ;)

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I should have more clear in my response. If he is sliding his stick on the bridge handle (loosely with no hand support in any way), I’d consider it okay. If he places his hand on the handle or in any other way adds his hand to guide the shaft, it would not be okay. BCA/CSI is explicit about not using the bridge, chalk or anything else to elevate your bridge hand. WPA also has language that the rest replaces your bridge hand.

Last edited:

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

They tried to pull that one on me with my carbon cue with an interchangeable tip back in 2007 in the local APA league, they also tried that same stunt in Vegas in 2009 as well. I pointed out that carbon coated cues and glass coated cues were already in use, and so had replaceable tips been in use before hand. In Vegas I ended agreeing that I was not to change the cue tip to my cue , unless there was something wrong with it. This came about as I changed a tip that had a slight amount of damage to it, and by coincidence was making more shots after the tip change. The loosing team tried to claim I took my cue apart during a match.
As far as the bridge goes, my understanding of the rules is that you may use a bridge for the entire game if you choose to.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Is it legal to set a mechanical bridge/rest across the table with one end on a long rail and the other end on the other long rail?

From there, the player could either rest his cue on the bridge stick for a reach shot or rest his bridge hand on the bridge stick for an elevated shot.

I’m 100% positive that this will be addressed at the next WPA rules review.

If I had a vote, it would be illegal for tournament play.

Freddie <~~~ needs votes

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Prohibited in CSI/BCAPL/USAPL play under Rule 1-3-1-d.

I think 1-3-1-e is what explicitly prohibits you from using the bridge to elevate your bridge hand. I’m not sure (d) says anything applicable to the scenario.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
If I saw this I would rule against it. The bridge is designed to be used on the table and not on the rails. Also, the bridge is designed as an extension for a player to reach a shot, with the bridge head supporting the cue stick. It is a gray area and I'm open to discussion about it.

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I saw this I would rule against it. The bridge is designed to be used on the table and not on the rails. Also, the bridge is designed as an extension for a player to reach a shot, with the bridge head supporting the cue stick. It is a gray area and I'm open to discussion about it.

So years ago when I played out of a safety by using a bridge normally, but had it mostly on the rail surface. It was a unique situation where cueing behind my back was extremely awkward, and I couldn’t bridge opposite handed stable enough for how high I had to bridge. But you would call it a foul for having a bridge on the rail?

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
So years ago when I played out of a safety by using a bridge normally, but had it mostly on the rail surface. It was a unique situation where cueing behind my back was extremely awkward, and I couldn’t bridge opposite handed stable enough for how high I had to bridge. But you would call it a foul for having a bridge on the rail?

I can't speak for Jay, but I would think as long as you're using the bridge head to support the cue shaft, it would be allowed by pretty much any ref.