World Series Of Tavern Pool

bboxgrinder

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been looking for some documented history and story behind this tournament which I believe was held in the 80's but have not been able to find any literature. Does anyone here have any information on this?

hangemhigh

Known Sinner
Silver Member
Use the search feature, there was at least one great thread about the event.

Last edited:

dardusm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is a thread that has some good info. I bought some memorabilia over the years such as the mugs, tournament posters (one signed by John Shuput), and also the complete kit on holding a qualifier. It sounded like a very good tournament, just a little before my time.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=130392&highlight=World+Series+Tavern+Pool

Reminds a little of the Canadian Club Whiskey tournament several years ago. They had a local, regional, and national rounds. Finishing in the top 2 spots in the local ($5 entry) put you into the regional. Finishing in the top 2 in the regional put you into the national tournament. I won the Kansas regional which paid a 1000.00 plus all expenses to Vegas in the national. The national was interesting. If you won the tournament it paid 5000 plus a chance to win a 1,000,000 dollars with a try to make the 8 ball on the break. 2nd won a pool table. Pretty fun tournament.

Last edited:

bboxgrinder

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is a thread that has some good info. I bought some memorabilia over the years such as the mugs, tournament posters (one signed by John Shuput), and also the complete kit on holding a qualifier. It sounded like a very good tournament, just a little before my time.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=130392&highlight=World+Series+Tavern+Pool

Reminds a little of the Canadian Club Whiskey tournament several years ago. They had a local, regional, and national rounds. Finishing in the top 2 spots in the local ($5 entry) put you into the regional. Finishing in the top 2 in the regional put you into the national tournament. I won the Kansas regional which paid a 1000.00 plus all expenses to Vegas in the national. The national was interesting. If you won the tournament it paid 5000 plus a chance to win a 1,000,000 dollars with a try to make the 8 ball on the break. 2nd won a pool table. Pretty fun tournament.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Dardusm I sent you a pm. I thought this was quite an interesting series of events. Holding qualifiers out of taverns and rooms across the country sounds like a genious idea to get a huge feild. Of course times have changed now with the internet and tavern pool isn't like it use to be. I remember back in the late 80's / early 90's a low A / high B player like myself could own small bars on the table but now there are good players everywhere with the web and instructional info. How times have changed!

Last edited:

DiamondGirl

Registered
This was my very first national event I participated in. I have 2 mugs from winning local events qualifying me to the national participation level. My first mug was from 1984, and the full name of the event was "Lite Beer {$300,000}World Serires of Tavern Pool." I have a mug for 1985 as well. Steve Mizerack and the lite beer girls were there for the amateurs to meet. I had only one pool book at the time and it was Steve Mizeracks, can't remember title, but I brought it with me in the hopes of meeting him and having it autographed. I met him in elevator and asked him to sign book I was holding and he turned me down. So as talented as he was I was never a fan because he was not a good representative, he went from hero to zero in my eyes from then on.
Hope this helps you. The reason Steve was there was because of his Miller Lite commercial in which he did his infamous trick shot.

larrynj1

aka uncle larry
Silver Member
diamond girl, were these mugs given only to the qualifier winners, or were they available for sale to anyone? i've had one sitting behind my bar at home for a long time, bought it from e-bay i think.

larrynj1

aka uncle larry
Silver Member
here are some pics of the mug for those interested , and that's a mcdermott model d-21 on the mug as well.

Attachments

• 1985 lite beer tournament mug 001 (Medium).jpg
    1985 lite beer tournament mug 001 (Medium).jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 1,479
  • 1985 lite beer tournament mug 002 (Medium).jpg
    1985 lite beer tournament mug 002 (Medium).jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 1,419
  • 1985 lite beer tournament mug 003 (Medium).jpg
    1985 lite beer tournament mug 003 (Medium).jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 1,411

larrynj1

aka uncle larry
Silver Member
i shouldn't have opened this thread. i googled the tournament and up came some mugs for sale on e-bay. i wound up buying the 1983 and 1984 mugs too. more clutter that the wife will complain about.

DiamondGirl

Registered
I personally won them in local qualifiers in the bay area in California. They were not offered for sale, they said regional champion on the other side of the mug, at least one of my mugs says that, I will have to recheck on the other.

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I personally won them in local qualifiers in the bay area in California. They were not offered for sale, they said regional champion on the other side of the mug, at least one of my mugs says that, I will have to recheck on the other.

To have a qualifier the bar or tavern had to have 8 players pay 10.00 each. Everyone who entered got a mug. the winner of the qualifier then could pay 25.00, would receive a jacket and go to a regional qualifier where there were 16 winners from the different tavern qualifiers. The top 2 winners from each regional qualifiers then proceeded to Las Vegas for the tournament that was held at Ceasers Palace.

Dick

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To have a qualifier the bar or tavern had to have 8 players pay 10.00 each. Everyone who entered got a mug. the winner of the qualifier then could pay 25.00, would receive a jacket and go to a regional qualifier where there were 16 winners from the different tavern qualifiers. The top 2 winners from each regional qualifiers then proceeded to Las Vegas for the tournament that was held at Ceasers Palace.

Dick

You got it all right except the location it was at the MGM Grand and was my first trip to Las Vegas

billy bones

billy bones
Silver Member
Mlwstp

I won a couple of the white mugs in the Omaha/Council Bluffs area. Don't really remember the exact year. I do recall being very proud of them. I also recall a sense of a lost opportunity when the concept folded. It allowed up & coming players to compete at higher levels. I am older now & prone to bouts of nostalgia. Yes I would like to have one of them now. It was a sign of those times. A time I was fortunate enough to have lived in & participated in. :cool: Billy Bones

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They took a wide angle photo (about 150 feet long) of all the players lined up and planned to use it as a promotional item for the next years tournament but some player flipped the bird. About 350 players lined up. Oh well, sometimes we just shoot ourselves in the foot.

That was a classy tournament and Miller Lite did it right. Great setting, plenty of referees, nice venue, etc.

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You got it all right except the location it was at the MGM Grand and was my first trip to Las Vegas

I know in 83 it was at Ceaser's Palace as I was there and finished 16-32. They had 72 tables set up in a L shaped room. There were 40 practice tables and 32 tournament tables.

Dick

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They took a wide angle photo (about 150 feet long) of all the players lined up and planned to use it as a promotional item for the next years tournament but some player flipped the bird. About 350 players lined up. Oh well, sometimes we just shoot ourselves in the foot.

That was a classy tournament and Miller Lite did it right. Great setting, plenty of referees, nice venue, etc.

Yes, they used some special panoramic camera. I always wondered why the picture was never used. Did they never hear of cropping, dodging and shading.

Dick