CSI Presents...The 2015 Tiger Challenge: Shane Van Boening vs Mike Dechaine

jburkm002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I rather watch the pros on a bar box. They are great shot makers and that is what I want to see. To much safety play on 9ft for me. Nice seeing pros bank balls instead of safety safety safety.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

jojopiff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The hatred some of you have for the pros moving to barbox pool has warped your brains. "Bring in one 9' table" is what many said. Think about that, bring in ONE table that will be used a handful of times to coddle the haters of the barbox. I can't imagine anyone could possibly be mad enough at their money to think this is a winning idea.

For the record, I also think pro's playing rotation games on a barbox is rather silly. But the idea CSI owes any of us something and should "bring in just one" is, well, rather sily.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The hatred some of you have for the pros moving to barbox pool has warped your brains. "Bring in one 9' table" is what many said. Think about that, bring in ONE table that will be used a handful of times to coddle the haters of the barbox. I can't imagine anyone could possibly be mad enough at their money to think this is a winning idea.

For the record, I also think pro's playing rotation games on a barbox is rather silly. But the idea CSI owes any of us something and should "bring in just one" is, well, rather sily.

You are spinning peoples' comments into the "idea CSI owes any of us something". Many just think watching pros play on a bar box sucks and isn't interesting. No more no less. Not to mention the root issue most people had with this when it was originally announced is how they are calling these the US Opens and yet being played on bar boxes. They already had the US BAR BOX CHAMPIONSHIPS once this year.

I spend quite a bit on streams and going to occasional events. I won't spend money on these streams any more to watch 7 footers.

jojopiff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are spinning peoples' comments into the "idea CSI owes any of us something". Many just think watching pros play on a bar box sucks and isn't interesting. No more no less. Not to mention the root issue most people had with this when it was originally announced is how they are calling these the US Opens and yet being played on bar boxes. They already had the US BAR BOX CHAMPIONSHIPS once this year.

I spend quite a bit on streams and going to occasional events. I won't spend money on these streams any more to watch 7 footers.

The people who said "bring in one 9' table", IMO, seem like CSI owes them something. Be mad, be upset, think the US Open will lose prestige, don't buy streams (I won't either of rotation barbox), and hate the current state of pool. Those are all reasonable thoughts and feelings, but again, don't tell someone else to spend their money so that you (general you, not actually you) will enjoy it. I hope you can see that some here seem to think they're owed a 9' table so they can watch and enjoy.

They already had the US BAR BOX CHAMPIONSHIPS once this year. I agree with this statement, I'm actually in agreement with the sentiment most share, just NOT their solution to bring in one table.

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The people who said "bring in one 9' table", IMO, seem like CSI owes them something. Be mad, be upset, think the US Open will lose prestige, don't buy streams (I won't either of rotation barbox), and hate the current state of pool. Those are all reasonable thoughts and feelings, but again, don't tell someone else to spend their money so that you (general you, not actually you) will enjoy it. I hope you can see that some here seem to think they're owed a 9' table so they can watch and enjoy.

They already had the US BAR BOX CHAMPIONSHIPS once this year. I agree with this statement, I'm actually in agreement with the sentiment most share, just NOT their solution to bring in one table.

It's a ppv event. Not bringing one table might cost them more than bringing it. A suggestion like bring one table would be what I would want to hear if my customers were unhappy.

jojopiff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's a ppv event. Not bringing one table might cost them more than bringing it. A suggestion like bring one table would be what I would want to hear if my customers were unhappy.

Fair points, and if everyone voiced them this way it might actually get them somewhere. I'm of the opinion though, that the ppv they're going to get wouldn't cover the cost of bringing in the table, much less bringing in enough over what they'll get on the barbox. Even if I were inclined to watch this via ppv, I'll be there in person as will many other potential ppv customers.

Drop The Rock

1652nd on AZ Money List
Silver Member
It is what it is! There have been great bar table events in pool for decades now, as long as I've been around. And bar table pool has been a mainstay of our game in this country for just as long, with legendary match-ups for big money down through the years. The best bar table players are also legends, names like David Matlock, Keith McCready, Wade Crane and yes even Buddy Hall! Not shortstops by any means.

It bothers me not one iota that we have two more great tournaments put on by CSI that are being contested on Diamond seven footers, which just happen to be the best bar tables ever made by a long shot. CSI also produces the very successful U.S. Bar Table Championships held every year in Reno. These are great events that attract large fields of players who compete for some decent prize money. What's not to like about that? It may be true that lesser players like me have a chance to win matches and get in the money, but at the end of the day it's the champions who win the big money.

I don't really care to debate the merits of playing on a big table versus playing on a small table. It's all pool in my book and I'm glad we still have some good tournaments in the USA. I will enjoy this event just as much as I enjoy the Bigfoot tourney we do at DCC every year. I like to see good pool in all its various forms. And it will take some damn good pool to win the upcoming U.S. Open Ten Ball and Eight Ball tourneys. There will be myriad thrills and spills along the way and some of us will get to see it in person or on the stream and others (who don't like these kind of events) won't.

And that sir is the bottom line here. No one makes you watch it or not watch it! To that degree this is still a free country. :thumbup:

P.S. When you see great players like Shane, Dennis O., Warren, Dechaine, Bergman, Woodward, J. Hall, Frost and many others coming then you know there's going to be some great pool on display. It's just a little different test of their skills.

So now we have the USBTC and the US 10 Ball Bar Table open? Its bad for pool because IMO its boring as hell. Very few times do you hear a commentator say "HELLUVA SHOT" when the match is on a bar table unless its Shane jumping full cue or its a kick shot. Its even more boring with alternate break which is the norm for BT tournaments. There are so many bar table tournaments around the country as it is!

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe it's Diamond tables, a sponsor, that wants these matches on a barbox. Diamond barbox sales is probably many times more than 9ft tables. So it makes sense to promote their bread and butter.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe it's Diamond tables, a sponsor, that wants these matches on a barbox. Diamond barbox sales is probably many times more than 9ft tables. So it makes sense to promote their bread and butter.

No, it's a CSI thing, Mark said a few times that having a setup of 8+ 9 footers for pro events was a pain and costing extra for not much if any benefit.

I was actually quite sad when that ended because the BEF was with the BCA/USAPL league finals and had a very good setup there, the kids played on the same 9 footers that the pros used, could play any time the tables were open and play on the 7 footers set aside for practice also.

After CSI changed the pro events, the BEF went to the BCA trade show which was restricted for times only when the show was opened, and there were a bit of a restriction on the kids wandering around since there were business deals being done there. No more large group of pros around that played with the kids or did lessons for them either.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, it's a CSI thing, Mark said a few times that having a setup of 8+ 9 footers for pro events was a pain and costing extra for not much if any benefit.
Yeah but it seems to have moved from practicality to strategy now. Ozzy has said that he believes 7-footers are the way to go because so many of the league players play on them, which may encourage them to watch and even enter the tournaments. I guess anything is worth trying at this point.

CSI is primarily a league operation, so maybe it makes sense for them to focus on league-type tables. That doesn't mean everyone is going that way. I doubt accu-stats is going to 7-footers, for example. Or the regional tours or tourneys around the country.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

+1 Good one . Tell it to him

Maybe you should be spinning on pool table instead of here
If 9 ft table is not used, we are not buying PPV that is all we are saying
To spin it around and put words into our mouths "CSI owes them something" is just nonsense and silly
What next? We get framed as "haters" cos we do not like 7 ft? :grin-square:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah but it seems to have moved from practicality to strategy now. Ozzy has said that he believes 7-footers are the way to go because so many of the league players play on them, which may encourage them to watch and even enter the tournaments. I guess anything is worth trying at this point.

CSI is primarily a league operation, so maybe it makes sense for them to focus on league-type tables. That doesn't mean everyone is going that way. I doubt accu-stats is going to 7-footers, for example. Or the regional tours or tourneys around the country.

I think going to 7 footers because league players and casual players play on them is bull. Many players can't even tell the difference aside from saying "why are those tables so large?". They have no idea what the pros are playing on or what the standard equipment is, or that there is a difference in pocket sizes or rails or cloth. It's just a pool table to them. They don't watch the pros because they don't want to watch the pros, not because they are playing on alien equipment to them.

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I rather watch the pros on a bar box. They are great shot makers and that is what I want to see. To much safety play on 9ft for me. Nice seeing pros bank balls instead of safety safety safety.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I think you might want to reconsider your view regarding safety play on 9-footers by top pros, at least for 8-Ball.

• In the 218 streamed games at the CSI Invitational 8-Ball event in July of last year, 8 safeties were played -- about once every 27 games on average.

• In the 117 games I watched at the Accu-Stats "Make It Happen" 8-Ball Invitational in November of last year, 5 safeties were played -- about once every 23 games on average.

jojopiff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
+1 Good one . Tell it to him

Maybe you should be spinning on pool table instead of here
If 9 ft table is not used, we are not buying PPV that is all we are saying
To spin it around and put words into our mouths "CSI owes them something" is just nonsense and silly
What next? We get framed as "haters" cos we do not like 7 ft? :grin-square:

Actually several, including yourself, said some form of "why can't they bring in a 9'". So no, you're not only saying that you won't buy the stream. You want them to bring in other tables.

Which now that I read above AtLarge states there will be 9's there so this whole conversation is moot.

Kris_b1104

House Pro in my own home.
Silver Member
I think you might want to reconsider your view regarding safety play on 9-footers by top pros, at least for 8-Ball.

• In the 218 streamed games at the CSI Invitational 8-Ball event in July of last year, 8 safeties were played -- about once every 27 games on average.

• In the 117 games I watched at the Accu-Stats "Make It Happen" 8-Ball Invitational in November of last year, 5 safeties were played -- about once every 23 games on average.

Damn AtLarge wit dem factz.