Making pockets tighter

JE54

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has anybody made their the pockets on their home tables smaller / tighter with some type of inserts that are removable.
I have a set of the green spring pocket tighteners. They don't work, IMO.
I was thinking about buying some plastic valley pockets off ebay and cutting them down.

So I thought I'd see if anybody here would have any suggestions.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All home tables are removable. How you think they get them in?

It not a ship in a bottle.

Duh.
:duck:

JE54

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know if you meant to replace them or what, so I edited the initial post.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To do it right you need to lengthen the rails. Shims/inserts are really just a stop-gap measure.

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
Has anybody made their the pockets on their home tables smaller / tighter with some type of inserts that are removable.
I have a set of the green spring pocket tighteners. They don't work, IMO.
I was thinking about buying some plastic valley pockets off ebay and cutting them down.

So I thought I'd see if anybody here would have any suggestions.

How can you say the green spring picket tighteners don't work? They reduce my pockets to 3 1/2" wide and you have to hit the balls clean without touching the green foam or you'll have the ball rejected. I think they often work too well at reducing the pocket size. I've been considering cutting new foam that would more closely be angled like a normally cut pocket. I think that improvement in design would be a great boon for players wishing to play on a temporarily shimmed table.

JE54

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've already got diamond pro cut pockets, just trying to make them tighter when I want to practice tougher shots.That's why I want them removable.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I personally hate "tight" pockets, I mean, if Diamonds are not tight enough for ya, there is something wrong.

How am I gonna practice on a table, where my stroke and speed has to be different then on the table i"m gonna play in league and tourneys ?

I'd prefer to play on something similar to what i'm going to compete on, but hey, that's just me ;)

If you want the pockets tighter, then bare down on each shot, until you are putting the ball the middle of the hole, if you don't, shoot it 10 times till you do.

JE54

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ive had the green springs for a long time. and I don't like how they push against the rails. That's The reason I don't like them.
The one's I have aren't foam, they are hard rubber.

Last edited:

ipoppa33

Shakedown Custom Rods
Silver Member
Do a search there was a thread on here where someone made a set out of the anti-fatigue floor mats. They were removable and looked like they would work.
Good luck. Stan

JE54

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do a search there was a thread on here where someone made a set out of the anti-fatigue floor mats. They were removable and looked like they would work.
Good luck. Stan

I'll see if I can find it, thanks......................
After looking at the you tube, I'm wondering if some heavy duty truck floor mats might work. That might be what your talking about.
Not looking for pretty, just something to work. Might be taking a ride to Menards, Home Depot, etc. tomorrow to see what I can find.

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Search Google for them.

I don't recall the name but there is a place in the UK, if I recall correctly, that has tighteners that go on with double sided tape.

JE54

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Search Google for them.

I don't recall the name but there is a place in the UK, if I recall correctly, that has tighteners that go on with double sided tape.

Thanks, Skippy.

I went over to Menards yesterday and bought some floor rubber pieces that bend have cutouts for making connections to each other.
Haven't started on them yet. What I might try is to take the springs out of the green rubber pocket tighteners I have and drill a small hole in these and see if that works. I've got enough to do it to both of my tables. And I know where to get more if needed. I might try double sided tape if I determine that it will work without leaving a sticky / tacky substance on the pockets.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Yes, removable in the sense that when one recovers the rails one can adjust the width of the pockets. Hard rubber 58 on the A scale durometer.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
How can you say the green spring picket tighteners don't work? They reduce my pockets to 3 1/2" wide and you have to hit the balls clean without touching the green foam or you'll have the ball rejected. I think they often work too well at reducing the pocket size. I've been considering cutting new foam that would more closely be angled like a normally cut pocket. I think that improvement in design would be a great boon for players wishing to play on a temporarily shimmed table.

I agree... they work well for practice. really tightens a table up. You cant really play many games with them on because the springs can get in the way, but if you want to work on shotmaking, they will help you.