Sanding mandrel problems

jokers_wild96

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When using a sanding mandrel when it's time to pop the butt or shaft off, the finish 95% of the time chips cracks and peels off. Are there any tips/tricks to help prevent this. I use a ca finish.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Use cue wax on the face of the mandrel before applying finish. Sand flush to the mandrel then tap the end of the mandrel several times on all sides with a piece of wood before breaking loose.

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mandrel

You can add CA without using the mandrel, check your tolerances until close then install mandrel and sand. Takes a little longer. Clean your edges before installing mandrel. :)

Mario

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
I use a delrin mandrel that is a lot smaller than the joint. I put on the finish and then take off the delrin mandrel and then face the butt in the lathe. Then I put on the carbide mandrel and sand it.......... I use the same procedure for the joint of the shaft.

Kim

CuesRus1973

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When using a sanding mandrel when it's time to pop the butt or shaft off, the finish 95% of the time chips cracks and peels off. Are there any tips/tricks to help prevent this. I use a ca finish.

I hope your area is very well ventilated when using that CA finish. Bad things happen.