Stroke Lesson

Zphix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey y'all -

I'm thinking I need a lesson to get my stroke in order. There's some minute and small difference in my stance/form that is affecting me when I'm down on a shot and I can't pinpoint what it is. There are times where I feel in my swing that I'm lined up properly and the ball is going in but, again, the "difference" doesn't stand out enough to me to pinpoint any changes.

Sooo... I'd like to take a lesson from somebody that works on developing a good and straight stroke. I live in Illinois and can travel a bit if need be buuuttttt I'm looking for recommendations :)

pab

Center ball can do it all
Silver Member
Scott Lee is an excellent choice and will likely travel to you. Also, Mark Wilson in St. Louis. You cannot go wrong either way.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey y'all -

I'm thinking I need a lesson to get my stroke in order. There's some minute and small difference in my stance/form that is affecting me when I'm down on a shot and I can't pinpoint what it is. There are times where I feel in my swing that I'm lined up properly and the ball is going in but, again, the "difference" doesn't stand out enough to me to pinpoint any changes.

Sooo... I'd like to take a lesson from somebody that works on developing a good and straight stroke. I live in Illinois and can travel a bit if need be buuuttttt I'm looking for recommendations :)

Anthony Beeler

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hey y'all -

I have an unorthodox suggestion for you, but first I would agree that someone like Scott Lee could certainly help you. But in the meantime I would suggest that what you're telling us is not all bad. My suggestion is one evening when you have the time play a continuous session for 8-10 hours until you begin to get tired. The more tired the better! This is the point at which you may unconsciously begin to make minute adjustments in your stance and stroke that can prove beneficial. I believe that quite often the biggest improvements to our game come as the result of playing a long continuous session of pool, preferably with an opponent or opponents.

Somehow our body will begin to acclimate to the most comfortable and relaxed way for us to shoot each shot, and that can feel better than the way you had been shooting before, plus make the shots seem easier. I hope this all makes sense to you. I'm not sure I'm doing the best job of explaining it.

Last edited:

SFC9ball

JimBaker PBIA Instructor
Silver Member
I recommend Scot Lee, he will be in the Chicago area Oct 21-24 for the national pool school tour stop. If you could manage to get into that school it would be money well spent.

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not to be repetitious but there's good reason why Scott Lee's name keeps coming up. Call him.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scott Lee is an excellent choice and will likely travel to you. Also, Mark Wilson in St. Louis. You cannot go wrong either way.

I've been waiting on Mark for almost a year. I'm starting to wonder if I need to call Scott instead.

Does Scott give lessons in the students home?

I live in Florence, Alabama.

Jeff

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
I've been waiting on Mark for almost a year. I'm starting to wonder if I need to call Scott instead.
Jeff

Pretty sure he does. For me I'd rather do a lesson at his place because I think he uses a lot of cameras for analysis. My table is in my garage which means there's almost a 2 inch height difference from one end to the other. I don't want my stroke analyzed at the wrong height. Once I have the addition built and the cameras can be set up properly, an in home stroke lesson would be great.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pretty sure he does. For me I'd rather do a lesson at his place because I think he uses a lot of cameras for analysis. My table is in my garage which means there's almost a 2 inch height difference from one end to the other. I don't want my stroke analyzed at the wrong height. Once I have the addition built and the cameras can be set up properly, an in home stroke lesson would be great.

Travel for me is a big no-no.I would have to arrive a at least a day or so before and then stay a day or so afterwards to recoup before the trip home. At least that, maybe more depending on how I was doing.

I have back and neck issues that make it extremely hard to travel very far and still be able to play well. That's why I don't play tournaments or play anything but cheap sets locally or even at home.

Anyways, my table is in my home and is perfectly level and well maintained. I already have a permanent camera set up over the table. He could bring others or I could arrange for a couple more to be set up if it would make it easier on him.

If Scott wants to, he would be more than welcome to stay at my house the night of the lesson, if that would make it any easier for him as we have 4 extra bedrooms set up with cable and wifi or ethernet. My wife is an awesome cook so, he wouldn't want to miss dinner or supper either.

I've waited a long time for Mark. It's been over a year. I know he can't just drop everything and give me a lesson but, last time I spoke to him the chance of a lesson soon did not sound promising. I think he said it would be 8 or 10 more months...or longer, if I'm remembering correctly. Mark is an extremely nice guy and very knowledgeable and I have no doubt that he would be qble to help me but, I need help now while I'm still able to get around and play.

Time is not on my side. I'm not expected to drop dead or anything....lol...but, my days of walking around a table are very limited and I would really, really like to get some help while I can still play.

Jeff

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Yes he travels across the country and gives lessons in students homes.

Jeff

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have an unorthodox suggestion for you, but first I would agree that someone like Scott Lee could certainly help you. But in the meantime I would suggest that what you're telling us is not all bad. My suggestion is one evening when you have the time play a continuous session for 8-10 hours until you begin to get tired. The more tired the better! This is the point at which you may unconsciously begin to make minute adjustments in your stance and stroke that can prove beneficial. I believe that quite often the biggest improvements to our game come as the result of playing a long continuous session of pool, preferably with an opponent or opponents.

Somehow our body will begin to acclimate to the most comfortable and relaxed way for us to shoot each shot, and that can feel better than the way you had been shooting before, plus make the shots seem easier. I hope this all makes sense to you. I'm not sure I'm doing the best job of explaining it.
Sage advice Jay. Years ago i was playing a guy and it went on for a WHILE. At one point i kinda got to a pissed/give-up state. For whatever reason i just sorta said "f^*k it" and fell into DEAD WHIZ. I came back and tortured the guy. Totally relaxed, no-thought pool. Man, it was great.

SFC9ball

JimBaker PBIA Instructor
Silver Member
Travel for me is a big no-no.I would have to arrive a at least a day or so before and then stay a day or so afterwards to recoup before the trip home. At least that, maybe more depending on how I was doing.

I have back and neck issues that make it extremely hard to travel very far and still be able to play well. That's why I don't play tournaments or play anything but cheap sets locally or even at home.

Anyways, my table is in my home and is perfectly level and well maintained. I already have a permanent camera set up over the table. He could bring others or I could arrange for a couple more to be set up if it would make it easier on him.

If Scott wants to, he would be more than welcome to stay at my house the night of the lesson, if that would make it any easier for him as we have 4 extra bedrooms set up with cable and wifi or ethernet. My wife is an awesome cook so, he wouldn't want to miss dinner or supper either.

I've waited a long time for Mark. It's been over a year. I know he can't just drop everything and give me a lesson but, last time I spoke to him the chance of a lesson soon did not sound promising. I think he said it would be 8 or 10 more months...or longer, if I'm remembering correctly. Mark is an extremely nice guy and very knowledgeable and I have no doubt that he would be qble to help me but, I need help now while I'm still able to get around and play.

Time is not on my side. I'm not expected to drop dead or anything....lol...but, my days of walking around a table are very limited and I would really, really like to get some help while I can still play.

Jeff

Scott and I just left Biloxi MS on Monday after teaching a 3 day pool school. I am sure if you contact Scott on his way back home to Florida in the next month or so he can stop by.

I may be back in the Biloxi area in the near future giving a lesson, if Scott can't work you into his schedule I would be happy to work with you when I am in the area.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scott and I just left Biloxi MS on Monday after teaching a 3 day pool school. I am sure if you contact Scott on his way back home to Florida in the next month or so he can stop by.

I may be back in the Biloxi area in the near future giving a lesson, if Scott can't work you into his schedule I would be happy to work with you when I am in the area.

I'll try to contact Scott in the coming week.

Thanks,

Jeff

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks everyone for the kind words. I do travel quite a bit, and often give lessons in people's homes, as that is the table they are going to practice on. I carry my lesson gear, including cameras and lights, with me, so wherever I go, I am ready to give a complete lesson.

Zphix...I will be in the Chicago area Oct. 19 through 25. I have pool school in Chicago Monday through Thursday, so Sat. 10/19 is open, and Sat. 10/26 are open. If you would like to meet up on either of those dates, shoot me a pm with your name and phone number, and where you want to meet. If I remember correctly, you're from Park Forest, aren't you?

Jeff...I'd be happy to work with you in Florence AL, whenever I can get there. It would likely be sometime in late Nov. or early Dec. Give me a call. 773-551-7473.

Scott Lee
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks everyone for the kind words. I do travel quite a bit, and often give lessons in people's homes, as that is the table they are going to practice on. I carry my lesson gear, including cameras and lights, with me, so wherever I go, I am ready to give a complete lesson.

Zphix...I will be in the Chicago area Oct. 19 through 25. I have pool school in Chicago Monday through Thursday, so Sat. 10/19 is open, and Sat. 10/26 are open. If you would like to meet up on either of those dates, shoot me a pm with your name and phone number, and where you want to meet. If I remember correctly, you're from Park Forest, aren't you?

Jeff...I'd be happy to work with you in Florence AL, whenever I can get there. It would likely be sometime in late Nov. or early Dec. Give me a call. 773-551-7473.

Scott Lee
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

I just saw this today.

I'll contact you soon. Thanks in advance sir.

Jeff