I wonder how many people would have done what Hohmann did

JC

Coos Cues
I highly doubt he even noticed it. He was watching the trajectory of the cue ball and it barely changed after grazing the four. I knew I was looking for a foul and I barely saw it.

I'm just a rank amateur and It's impossible for me to shoot a shot and foul like that without noticing. 100% impossible.

He knew he did it, realized Efren didn't see it as he was leaving the table and made a conscious decision to keep quiet. Do you really believe he thinks that he missed the one ball by almost a diamond from three feet away for no reason? How silly of a notion is that. Maybe it ate him up inside later and he reformed his ways but that time he knew what happened.

JC

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I highly doubt he even noticed it. He was watching the trajectory of the cue ball and it barely changed after grazing the four. I knew I was looking for a foul and I barely saw it.
I doubt he noticed the 4 either. I'm pretty sure his eyes were on the one ball until the cue ball hit it.

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member
I can't remember

It's pretty darned funny the great number of people here who talk about how noble Hohmann is and how he's head and shoulders above the "average" pool player but when Hohmann is caught out being less than noble an equally great number leap forward to make excuses for him. One guy here is even in denial that the 2-ball moved. You'd have to be blind. Just really funny.

Blah blah blah, hot air...
Farts and loves the smell !

Euclid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm just a rank amateur and It's impossible for me to shoot a shot and foul like that without noticing. 100% impossible.

He knew he did it, realized Efren didn't see it as he was leaving the table and made a conscious decision to keep quiet. Do you really believe he thinks that he missed the one ball by almost a diamond from three feet away for no reason? How silly of a notion is that. Maybe it ate him up inside later and he reformed his ways but that time he knew what happened.

JC

Well looks like you got it all figured out. I wish I could be so absolutely certain about something for which there is no certainty but the whole thinking thing usually gets in the way. He had to spin it around the edge of the four. Missing a shot like that by a good amount isn't unusual, even for a pro. Whether he knew or not depends entirely on what his eyes were focused on. After watching the video again I think Bob Jewett is right and they were on the one ball. I can't be absolutely certain but I think it's likely he had no idea a foul had occurred.

I don't personally know T. Hohmann or any other pro player but as another rank amateur who has personally committed similar fouls without knowing and watched others do so as well I'm not so quick to condemn him.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
If you expect something from the opposite, you have to do it the same way.
"Practice what you preach/live"

Just shows his attitude.

Str8PoolPlayer

“1966 500 SuperFast”
Silver Member
I suspect Mr. H came from a (2) parent, loving home where he was
taught : right from wrong, honesty, respect, and good moral character.

Sadly, I can't say the same for 90% of our local League Players.

rivercitysledge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's pretty darned funny the great number of people here who talk about how noble Hohmann is and how he's head and shoulders above the "average" pool player but when Hohmann is caught out being less than noble an equally great number leap forward to make excuses for him. One guy here is even in denial that the 2-ball moved. You'd have to be blind. Just really funny.

talk about blind it was a 4 ball now rthats funny

poolrod

I like old school
Silver Member
I believe that you need good roles in pool, honesty helps with that also. :thumbup:

jhanso18

Broken Lock
Silver Member
It was a shark move, to throw his opponent off... ;););)

TH is the man. Very refreshing to see honest pool!!!

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I believe most of the field would have called the foul on themselves. The game of 14.1 has, over the years, been a gentleman's game in which exemplary discipline, decorum, and good sportsmanship have always been the rule.

thewhiffer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would like to believe that most would call it on themselves. Cheating is cheating and no one should feel good trying to win by cheating. I find it interesting that there are some that like to pull little "shark" moves and do not find that to be cheating.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
Thought this had a chance to be a positive thread that wouldn't be mucked up. Proven wrong again. If Thorsten is your example of a "dishonest" player then we should all strive to be so "dishonest". Congratulations to Mr. Hohmann for not only being one of the best straight pool players to ever live, but an upstanding sportsman as well.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thought this had a chance to be a positive thread that wouldn't be mucked up. Proven wrong again. If Thorsten is your example of a "dishonest" player then we should all strive to be so "dishonest". Congratulations to Mr. Hohmann for not only being one of the best straight pool players to ever live, but an upstanding sportsman as well.

I'm almost sorry I started the thread.

The Sun rises in the East.
Not always, sometimes it's cloudy and you can't see the sunrise.
But it still rises in the East even if you can't see it.
No it doesn't, if you can't see it then it didn't rise in the East.

Some of these people would make good employees in an argument clinic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkzjBfTDH20

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
Not noticing a foul of the type like the one in this Jason Klatt video is believable. It's not difficult to overlook that the cue ball didn't get a rail while distracted watching the travel of the object ball to another part of the table:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=4WnUrvD6kdw#t=2448

But not seeing the cue ball touch the wrong object ball just a few inches from the cue ball and directly in the line of aim, especially when the whole idea was to get around the intervening object ball? Not believable.
http://youtu.be/wmH4ZKNS5q4?t=1h36m50s

Too many excuses for what is apparently a favored player. I guess the high and mighty moralists can be flexible for the right people.

So you're saying that Thorsten Hohmann was looking at the 4-ball while shooting at the 1-ball!?

Personally, I know that I can get tunnel-vision while focusing on my object ball that I don't see things happening in front of my face. And so I'm willing to give him the benefit of doubt in regards to the SBE shot. And even if he did knowingly foul (which you, as the mind-reader, know for a fact that he did), his self-calling this weekend in the finals has more than made up for it.

Forgive, forget, move on.

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In a Pro event many years ago, George Breed Love called foul on himself. I, now, don`t remember whether it was in semi finals or finals.

Str8PoolPlayer

“1966 500 SuperFast”
Silver Member
Someone just posted evidence of Mr. H not calling a foul. Do you have evidence of 90% of your local league players not calling a foul?

If you would care to fund the cost of video-taping EVERY League Match we play, I
would be more than happy to point out those "failure to call foul on one's self" instances.

Str8PoolPlayer

“1966 500 SuperFast”
Silver Member
It's not just me seeing it happen. I hear it all the time from other players whom have observed it
happening and are forbidden from intervening (by League Rules only the Captains can speak up).

That said, it is a shame some players believe it's OKAY "NOT" to call a foul on themselves
when their opponent happens to NOT see it (for one reason or another).

That same "type" person believes they are NOT breaking the law IF they didn't get caught
Speeding, Driving while Intoxicated, Talking & Texting on the Cell Phone, etc.

Last edited:

fasted71465

Fast Ed
Silver Member
You people are crazy. If you don't look up to or at least respect his attitude about the game, then you could find fault with Jesus Christ.