Breaking Out Your Jump Cue

TWOFORPOOL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why are some many players waiting until they need their jump cue to put it together (after the match has started)? Bugs the crap out of me! I'm not even playing in a match and it still bugs me. Do these players really think they don't need it during a match or is it just a stall tactic?

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why are some many players waiting until they need their jump cue to put it together (after the match has started)? Bugs the crap out of me! I'm not even playing in a match and it still bugs me. Do these players really think they don't need it during a match or is it just a stall tactic?

Chances are they,like me, don't think they'll need it. It's more annoying to wait for someone to out their playing cue together. Then their break Che. Then their jump cue.........etc.

You only use your break cue one shot a game,and that's "IF" you break. Seeing as most shots you can and should kick at it makes way more sense to wait to bring out your jump cue till you NEED it.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

How many matches do you have to shoot a jump shot? For me it is the minority. I wait until I need it. No sense carting around an extra cue to each table if I'm not using it. It takes about 10 seconds to put it together. Once I put it together, I usually leave it together for the rest of the night. Very hard to see the big deal here.

KMRUNOUT

worktheknight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It does not bother me either way, personally, I like to have mine ready as I would rather take a little more time with the jump shot then take time putting the cue together as it can get a drawn out affair sometimes. Just my routine.

TWOFORPOOL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Breaking Your Jump Cue

I play mostly on bar boxes and seems that every match I need to jump a ball or two. I know its not that big of a deal but I feel you need to have everything out and ready to play.

twal

"W"
Silver Member
I don't pull it out until I need it.
I try to talk myself out of using it most of the time.
When I do,
Then my opponent gets to wonder, can he jump or not, if he can, can he make the shot.

I don't jump often but love the drama that goes along with it.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Considering it takes about 10 seconds it seems an incredibly silly thing to let bother you. I don't get mine out until it's needed, don't plan to change that.

TWOFORPOOL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It takes 10 seconds to walk to your case. It takes 10 seconds to get the butt and shaft out and 10 seconds to put it together and walk back to the table.

I know I'm being picky but you should have everything ready to play before you start. Its just bugs me a little and I know it shouldn't!

muddawg

Chill Out
Silver Member
It doesn't bother me personally either. I see no difference between it taking xx seconds to get the jump cue and play the shot versus walking around the table for xx seconds figuring out what to do with the jump cue already put together.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

ktmrider765

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

is the game some type of race to where its on a strict time limit to where 1 extram minute affects the game?,.,thats like saying you cant stand it when a player has a real tough shot and takes a solid minute looking to see how they can hit the ball.,,.if 1-2 minutes tops affects your mental game maybe you should try speed pool.,.,,goes fast,.,in my opinion 1-2 minutes is nothing

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was currently watching SVB do that exact same thing. It was the 2014 USBTC. I think it was 10 ball. I kind of thought the same as you..... why didn't he have it out already? But on the other hand, slow play on every shot is far more annoying.

I think there could be a tournament rule that states all cues must be assembled before start of the match....or you can't use them. The exception could be if you throw a tip and need to get different cue or shaft. That would be tough for Earl....he carries like 14 cues! Lol

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member
I was currently watching SVB do that exact same thing. It was the 2014 USBTC. I think it was 10 ball. I kind of thought the same as you..... why didn't he have it out already? But on the other hand, slow play on every shot is far more annoying.

I think there could be a tournament rule that states all cues must be assembled before start of the match....or you can't use them. The exception could be if you throw a tip and need to get different cue or shaft. That would be tough for Earl....he carries like 14 cues! Lol

Let's get the no chalk face down on the rail and no butt crack showing before all cues must be assembled.

I like it when they deliberate...screw the jump cue together and take several practice strokes, then put it up and just kick at the ball with their player.

I don't think it's a move. Seating and table height can play a part in the decision too.

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I played a guy tonight that had 3 balls all within 6 inches from a pocket. None frozen to anything and he thought about what to do for 2 min!!!!!

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's get the no chalk face down on the rail and no butt crack showing before all cues must be assembled.

I like it when they deliberate...screw the jump cue together and take several practice strokes, then put it up and just kick at the ball with their player.

I don't think it's a move. Seating and table height can play a part in the decision too.

Lol. I like that no butt crack part. Unless a female supermodel! Lol

I played a guy tonight that had 3 balls all within 6 inches from a pocket. None frozen to anything and he thought about what to do for 2 min!!!!!

I've been there myself. A seemingly easy runout but had brain fart and couldn't decide where to start. Actually used my coach to give myself a few minutes and clear my head and get a second opinion.

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
It takes 10 seconds to walk to your case. It takes 10 seconds to get the butt and shaft out and 10 seconds to put it together and walk back to the table.

I know I'm being picky but you should have everything ready to play before you start. Its just bugs me a little and I know it shouldn't!

What would really bug me is having my jump cue ready and then not needing it the whole match.
Same goes for a tip tool, if I miscue badly I might need that aswell but I am not going to have it
ready on the off chance I miscue badly. Same with a little 2000 sandpaper, if it is really humid and I
haven't cleaned my cue for a while I might need it, but it will not be ready.

If I need it I will take it out, seems like the most efficient use of my and thus also my opponents time.

gr. Dave

zpele

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Welcome to sharking and the mental part of the game. I imagine its mostly a trick and if I knew it got in my opponents head like it does most of the commenters on this thread I would do it every single time in a tournament.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you take the jump cue out before you need it, where do you put it? Most of the time people lean their playing cues up against a table or chair or cue holder. Usually the jump cue, after use, is laid down flat on the table, along side people's drinks and food, where it can roll around or off the table.

I have a jump/break so it's just a matter of pulling off the bottom, but if you have a small jump cue I don't blame you for leaving it in the case, just because there's usually not a convenient place to put it.

DallasHopps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you take the jump cue out before you need it, where do you put it? Most of the time people lean their playing cues up against a table or chair or cue holder. Usually the jump cue, after use, is laid down flat on the table, along side people's drinks and food, where it can roll around or off the table.

I have a jump/break so it's just a matter of pulling off the bottom, but if you have a small jump cue I don't blame you for leaving it in the case, just because there's usually not a convenient place to put it.

That's why I usually don't have mine out. If there's no place to keep it after it's assembled, I don't want to put it together. I even have joint protectors on mine, so it takes almost 20 seconds to retrieve! The horror!

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The last tournament, I played in, I played my first two matches and it never came out. I finally took it out my case in the third match about half way through.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Welcome to sharking and the mental part of the game. I imagine its mostly a trick and if I knew it got in my opponents head like it does most of the commenters on this thread I would do it every single time in a tournament.

Wow...this is the most overtly malicious post in this thread. You are the reason nice people distrust others. You really have this approach? You believe it is a trick because you can only see your own lack of character in others.

KMRUNOUT