OTRTV Making a DVD with Rodney "The Rocket" Morris - Give Your 2 Cents & Win a Copy!

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
Lenny,
Thx again for doing this and thank you in advance for going though the pain of shipping this to Canada (you know that's coming).

In no particular order:
1. I find that Rodney shoots the way the shot needs it, not the way he prefers to hit the shot. Example if the shape is superior by hitting high-inside for three rail shape vs simple over and out he hits the "harder" shot.

2. What lesson or piece of advice that he learnt early in his career made the greatest impact and who told him.

3. Seeing as pool is not as financially viable for pros as it once once...knowing what he knows now would he have still pursued a life as a pro pool player.

4. What player:
- He most respects
- Likes the most on tour
- Dislikes the most (I dare him)
- Who is the next great one
- Does he believe he has done enough to make the hall of fame (he has)?

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nick B...When was professional pool EVER financially viable? It's been a crapshoot for the huge majority of pro players for many decades now. You can count the number of pro poolplayer millionaires on a few fingers...and some of them were millionaires in spite of being pro poolplayers. :D

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

3. Seeing as pool is not as financially viable for pros as it once was...knowing what he knows now would he have still pursued a life as a pro pool player.

Shannon.spronk

Anybody read this?
Silver Member
Rodney is one of the faster players I have seen. I would be interested to know how much he plans ahead for a runout. Whether it be two balls or three or four. Also interested in a scotch doubles question since he is left handed. Does he think about leaving his partner shots that favor the hand they shoot with or does he just shoot it the way he always would. The reason for that question is because I am left handed and when I play scotch doubles my partners constantly leave me shots that are easier for a right handed player where me as a left handed player might have to stretch a lot to play the same shot.

us820

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I want to know why he thinks he made it when others have not been able to.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Want to shoot like the pool stars?

Rodney Morris will teach you how to build a "Rocket" with his new DVD.

dwalding

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would like to hear him discuss his rhthym and tempo in detail. Be sure he goes into why he seems to shoot more quickly than other players, how it helps him, and how it hurts him. His thoughts on slow play and does it ever affect his tempo? Does he think the other robotic fundamental players would play better if they learned to speed up like him?
Does he think all matches should have a shot clock? Is 10 ball his favorite game? or 9 ball? 8 ball? etc
Besides his own, which players stroke does he admire? Earl, SVB, McCready, Jimmy Moore, would be my guesses.
How many racks of 9 ball has he ran consecutively? 10 ball?
What is his practice regimen before a large event he really wants to win?

IamCalvin06

Yang "The Son of Pool"
Silver Member
What is his personal preshot routine?

I know Rodney looks at the CB last but if possible could you do close ups of his eye patterns during shot execution?

His thoughts on how to treat the opening of a run out. What routes or patterns when the table is still congested.

What he thinks about the mental part of the game. What's he thinking when he's in the chair, after a miss or mistake, when the match is at a crucial point, hill hill and he gets to the table w a tough shot, dealing w opponents lucky rolls, etc

Does he have a routine when at a tournament. Waiting between matches.

Rack reading, racking your own, goals during the break in rotational games.

What is he thinking when playing safe. Choosing CB traps, lock down safe or containment safe. What are the best options for current situations.

Finally what makes him such a strong run out player compared to his peers. Who he thinks are the best offensive players? Best strategist ? Best mental game?

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
What does he do away from the table to help his game? Any special diet or exercise?

zpele

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would love to know his thought process when deciding pattern play on a tough table. I'm not talking about a wide open 9ball table- I'm talking a very difficult table where he runs out I.e., multiple breakouts, next ball in rotation opposite side of the table, etc.

This would allow us to see some interesting routes he would take with the cueball rather than the usual.

Rodney has a very interesting style of play (more 'powerful' than the regular pro) and his pattern play is a bit different than the norm so it would be interesting to see what types of decisions he makes that are 'outside of the box.'

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think people would like to hear him talk cues. From Szamboti to Tascarella, he seems to change cues more than most guy, and it's always top-shelf stuff. Looks liken he's using a Southwest in this picture: http://www.azbilliards.com/news/stories/12644-2016-mosconi-cup-rocket-on-top-after-don-coates-win/

I think he has sold some of his high-dollar cues over the years. He was sponsored by Poison and using one of their cues only a few years ago.

I would like to know "what characteristics" make up his PREFERRED playing cue. NOT what some sponsor has provided to him.

I have always heard him say he prefers solid maple shafts and a stainless steel joint. I've noticed all his high-dollar cues have long ferrules and was wondering if they were ivory.

I think I heard him say he is using a ZAN tip on the cue he is using now.

I love the looks of it...pure OLD SCHOOL simple. CLASSIC!

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Pool Fans. I am proud to announce that On The Rail TV is making a DVD with Rodney Morris. I want to do a good job on this project and get some ideas of what my peers want to see in an instructional DVD or suggestions so people who pick it up get a good value. Everyone who post their suggestion as to what we should cover, a question for Rodney and or a suggestion for the name of the DVD will be entered into a FREE giveaway for the DVD.

We are shooting this month in a little over a week and will be covering 8, 9 and 10 ball. I plan on doing shot stories and road stories like I did in the Power One Pocket DVDs which should be entertaining too. I think a Q & A would be fun so if you have some questions maybe I can include it when we sit down for the interview portion with Rodney. We are shooting at a run time of 1 hour to 90 minutes but its possible we could hit two hours if we add a match in for player review.

Here is a thread where if you add your 2 cents in then it might actually pay you something. Thanks everyone! :thumbup:

Thanks for allowing some questions to be fielded in regards to the DVD.
I would hope that Rodney could open the door to his mindset in regards to running the table/cue ball position theory.
As another member stated - to have him do a running commentary of various racks in competition could yield great rewards in terms of getting into Rodney's mindset while solving racks.
This worked very well in the Accu-Stats 14.1 player review DVDs which lend to repeated views because of the massive amounts of information that is passed from the player to the viewer. So much to digest, definitely worth the money, and that is how your DVD could be with Rodney.

For example. Here is a shot from a competition match with Rodney vs Max Eberle:

https://youtu.be/y5qeDPsQKcA?t=16m1s

Everyone from the announcers to the viewer sees the logical position from the 4-ball to play the 5-ball in the lower corner pocket. But this is where Rodney is so aggressively brilliant in his play, he plays the shot with an excellent stroke bringing the cue back for the 5-ball in the side pocket.

This is a mentality that is fairly unique to many of the high-level players, where conventional wisdom is the less cue ball movement is better - Rodney is the complete opposite and goes for multiple rails instead.

If you could line up a series of shot analysis like this (from various Rodney matches), where the Rodney goes in-depth into his strategy and mindset solving run-outs that would be an extremely dynamic chapter to the DVD and one worth watching multiple times.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
Please ask Mr. Morris how he plays big matches while looking like "I'm just practicing...imagine what I'd do to you if I concentrated!" :grin:

He and Jayson Shaw play that way. Super intimidating.

Tony Drago plays fast...but he has a look of concentration on his face. Rodney and Jayson look like they're strolling in the park.

Seriously, I'd like to hear more run-out strategy. Set up 5-ball patterns and have him do commentary on his own thinking/execution/etc.

Last edited:

RADAR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
''power 8,9,10 ball with rodney rocket morris'
awesome hear his insight on thinking side of the game on patterns of how to play shots of each game in 8,9,10ball. As well his mechanics what works for him aiming, stroking and holding cue.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You should spend 20 minutes for 8 ball and 9/10 ball on patterns and running (40 minutes total).

Then 10 minutes on safeties for 8 ball and 9/10 ball (20 minutes total).

That leaves 30 minutes for either a edited player review or some road stories.

Moet.1977

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Title

Rocket your game to its full potential with Rodney Morris instructional DVD and learn the Rockets way.

Also i would love to see Rodneys cue collection laid out on a table i think alot of us would.also what was his favorite stick he ever had.
Hope everyone likes the title

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Pool Fans. I am proud to announce that On The Rail TV is making a DVD with Rodney Morris. I want to do a good job on this project and get some ideas of what my peers want to see in an instructional DVD or suggestions so people who pick it up get a good value. Everyone who post their suggestion as to what we should cover, a question for Rodney and or a suggestion for the name of the DVD will be entered into a FREE giveaway for the DVD.

We are shooting this month in a little over a week and will be covering 8, 9 and 10 ball. I plan on doing shot stories and road stories like I did in the Power One Pocket DVDs which should be entertaining too. I think a Q & A would be fun so if you have some questions maybe I can include it when we sit down for the interview portion with Rodney. We are shooting at a run time of 1 hour to 90 minutes but its possible we could hit two hours if we add a match in for player review.

Here is a thread where if you add your 2 cents in then it might actually pay you something. Thanks everyone! :thumbup:

I know you only have so much time to include different games but Rodney also plays good 1 pocket.

I wish you could include that and ask him to discuss opening, mid-game, and late game strategy when he is behind and when he is ahead.