Sometimes in Pool and Life When Something Appears Bad it's Actually the Best Thing!

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Life as a pool hustler and high stakes gambler was a dangerous profession for me, I'm fortunate to live through 10 years of that life style!

I had been robbed at gun point 3 times and stabbed twice by the time I was 21. This seems like tragic events, and they were at the time, both stab wounds came within a quarter inch of killing me, one one near my temple and the other glanced my spleen.

These events ended up being some of the best things that ever happened to me because they got me to seriously study martial arts and removed fear, even of death.

The lesson I've learned in life is no matter how bad something seems at the time the right people, at the right time in the right place will ALWAYS show up if I keep looking for the positive side of things and never give up.

Here's the video of me telling the story of my robbery in more detail, if you have something in your life that seemed bad at the time and ended up good please share it will everyone.

The Game is the Teacher - https://youtu.be/ks_rhjsMtfo

MANPUSS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ive always concealed carry even before legal . if it saves my life or someone elses i will deal with law afterward .
ive had my permit now seems long time. i never go anywhere with out packing

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bizarre times, we are heading towards a totalitarian technocracy cleverly disguised

ive always concealed carry even before legal . if it saves my life or someone elses i will deal with law afterward .
ive had my permit now seems long time. i never go anywhere with out packing

Unfortunately in this day and age guns won't do much good. Maybe against some common criminals, but that's the least of our worries, the greatest enemies have most people convinced they are our "leaders".

Bizarre times, we are heading towards a totalitarian technocracy cleverly disguised and it appears most of the world is buying into the false binaries and false flags.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CJ:
Any interesting stories of the likely multiple occasions when you necessarily had to use your martial arts skills to subdue a situation?

Thanks in advance.

Arnaldo

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Fun Night

Playing in a low dive near my home one night there was a strange vibe in the air. I never carried or played with my own cue during that time but I went and got it, laid it on my case, and went back to playing with a house cue.

Awhile later three guys I had a previous run in with and had hit one, fought another, showed up. William showed up also. William was a friend of mine, pool hall variety. He was a fairly recently retired pro boxer out of Houston. The three guys were making plans for me, most of the rest of the bar were making plans for William over the ex-wife of someone that wasn't even there that William was seeing. I knew her and her ex-husband, a small world!

I was shooting pool with some pretty entertaining guys when the poop hit the fan! I found myself against a stage, my cue stick butt held chest high in both hands. No bumper and I planned on using both ends. William was beside me. Twenty-four guys in front of us wanting to whip our asses, or did they? It was soon obvious that the ones in back were leaning forward while those nearest William and I were very noticeably leaning backward, nobody wanting to be pushed into range of William's fists or my stick!

Things eventually quietened down. William ended up arm wrestling and beating all twenty-four guys facing us, some twice, one behind the other. I went back to shooting pool. When the guys I was playing with were ready to leave they asked if I wanted to ride with them. They were concerned there might still be trouble. I did, rode with them a lot during the next ten years or so, and they rode with me. Friends and playing buddies, still friendly, we have all just moved on with life. One of those guys had some pretty blond sisters I spent a good bit of time with too!

All in all, worked out well with friendships that would have never happened without what was almost a very ugly brawl. Funny thing, when I picked up on the "bad vibe" not one of the people later involved in the festivities was there other than myself. Felt it a few times after that, always listened!

Hu

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
there were regular instances that fights would break out, usually right before 2 am

CJ:
Any interesting stories of the likely multiple occasions when you necessarily had to use your martial arts skills to subdue a situation?

Thanks in advance.

Arnaldo

I've been involved in over 50 bar fights while running a club that was catering to gang members on certain nights. The upper level guys were cool and had respect, but there were regular instances that fights would break out, usually right before closing time.

The one that is probably the most noteworthy happened in back of my club when two robbers put a gun to me. I'll tell that story one of these days, but putting it in writing wound't do it justice.

I"ve been in many dangerous situations and I believe they can tell when someone can really defend themselves and will move on to easier victims. I used to carry a gun but decided it was best to arm myself in ways that were still effective but not as lethal.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
. . . .I've been involved in over 50 bar fights . . .
CJ,
I'm certain you've seen the Patrick Swayze film: Roadhouse a few times, and judging by the above quote, you had every reason to relate closely to your semi-lookalike (IMO) Patrick. Seems you've lived a real-life version of what the actor portrayed.

I look forward to some possible Youtube audio describing some of the situations and their resolution. I've noticed that in a number of Steven Seagal scenes it appears that via post-production editing, his unreal lighting-fast multiple punch groupings -- visually almost a blur -- are radically emphasized by speeding up the original on-set camera footage.

A friend of mine who's a senior citizen black-belt once told us billiards club members that he himself had extremely fast hands and was once clocked on-camera during a competition as throwing 35 punches in 2 seconds. Had to believe, but I was reluctant to test him, obviously.

Arnaldo

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CJ, what discipline of Martial Arts did you take up?
Let CJ explain it himself of course, but his website briefly mentions that he's a second-degree black belt instructor in Ji Mu Do, a combination of eight martial arts!

http://www.cjwileybilliards.com/about-cj.html

Very good article on that site with complete info about his life background and career as a road player, tournament player, and semi-retired room owner -- his own place in TX.

Arnaldo

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Martial Arts is probably the best training from pool and golf.

CJ, what discipline of Martial Arts did you take up?

Ji Mu Do was the school I went to, it was like a college of true martial arts, with a combination of eight styles. The foundation was Shaolin Kung Fu which was great for my pool game because I could do the forms in my hotel room. Some of the forms worked out all the muscles and joints - 10 minutes would be equivalent to an hour of aerobics so it was perfect before matches, especially early morning matches.

I also trained twice a week with a two time national Tae Kwon Do champion for 15 months, I ended up going back to my original teacher because breaking boards and the extreme training was getting stressful on my body.....he was old school, his father was a Grand Master that used to break bricks with his head (which eventually gave him a brain aneurism that killed him).

True martial arts is probably the best all around training for pool and golf, I later trained with Hank Haney who became Tiger Woods coach and the martial arts enhanced that as well.

Dave714

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was playing at CJ's one weekend night coming from Waco and someone threw a pool ball thru the glass. CJ beautiful wife came from around the bar and started raising all kinds of hell.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
My girlfriend was a country singer in the band and offered to clean the blood up!

I was playing at CJ's one weekend night coming from Waco and someone threw a pool ball thru the glass. CJ beautiful wife came from around the bar and started raising all kinds of hell.

That's unusual, can't recall ever having a pool ball through a window (pool balls had definitely been thrown, that's always exciting :D )!

.....maybe it's best to block out some memories, I've seen enough violence in bars for 7 lifetimes, the worst was when I was in Albuquerque NM and a guy got his throat cut with a beer bottle. My girlfriend was a country singer in the band and offered to clean the blood up out of the bathroom.....it was literally a bloody mess!

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's unusual, can't recall ever having a pool ball through a window (pool balls had definitely been thrown, that's always exciting :D )!

.....maybe it's best to block out some memories, I've seen enough violence in bars for 7 lifetimes, the worst was when I was in Albuquerque NM and a guy got his throat cut with a beer bottle. My girlfriend was a country singer in the band and offered to clean the blood up out of the bathroom.....it was literally a bloody mess!

CJ?

I sent you a PM a couple of days ago.

r/DCP

Imac007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pack an axe you might meet a tree.

Unfortunately in this day and age guns won't do much good. Maybe against some common criminals, but that's the least of our worries, the greatest enemies have most people convinced they are our "leaders".

Bizarre times, we are heading towards a totalitarian technocracy cleverly disguised and it appears most of the world is buying into the false binaries and false flags.

People act on emotion then justify with logic, even when it's twisted, and reeks of entitlement.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
CJ,
I'm certain you've seen the Patrick Swayze film: Roadhouse a few times, and judging by the above quote, you had every reason to relate closely to your semi-lookalike (IMO) Patrick. Seems you've lived a real-life version of what the actor portrayed.

I look forward to some possible Youtube audio describing some of the situations and their resolution. I've noticed that in a number of Steven Seagal scenes it appears that via post-production editing, his unreal lighting-fast multiple punch groupings -- visually almost a blur -- are radically emphasized by speeding up the original on-set camera footage.

A friend of mine who's a senior citizen black-belt once told us billiards club members that he himself had extremely fast hands and was once clocked on-camera during a competition as throwing 35 punches in 2 seconds. Had to believe, but I was reluctant to test him, obviously.

Arnaldo

35 punches in 2 seconds sounds impossible, unless they were 2 inch punches.

Steven S. seemed like the real deal, his martial arts moves were realistic, of course they visually enhance them for the movie effect.

I really liked the movie 'Above the Law' - I took some training from a gentleman named Lt Colonel Bo Gritz, who was the highest decorated man from the Vietnam era.

The movies Rambo and The Delta Force were both patterned after some of his real life missions. He had some ex Special Force guys with him in Phoenix I met that were brutal fighters. He wrote a book about being in the Golden Triangle area and making deals to stop a large part of the Heroin trade.

The CIA ended up hassling him and went there to "investigate" but instead built paved roads out of the area and a bank. The Heroin export quadrupled in the first year.

Go figure! :rolleyes: