How Champion Level Players Don't Use Aiming Systems Consciously

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
][/QUOTE][/QUOTE]When you ask a top level champion player what aiming system they use many will say they don't use one or play by feel, touch and/or instinct.

Although we do use spin or deflection to create pocket-zones and maximize margins of error [this is another subject we'll get into late] most of us use a Connection System.

Let me know your thoughts after watching my complementary video about The Connection System, and we'll compare notes - this is a complex topic, my goal is to simplify what I do to achieve my consistency, accuracy and position control. After you watch the video I'll be glad to answer any questions, learning to aim properly is critical to playing your best.

Play Well......CJ Wiley......The Game is the Teacher

CLICK LINK BELOW

https://youtu.be/Q_N_Yg-f5Qc

Last edited:

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I think everyone uses a system, even if they do not know they do. Pro player are like fast computer, they do things in little time, because they have maga mussel memory.

How can you stand up without learning to balance, baby's can not stand, but they learn. JMHO

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
a consistent starting point, which is essential to get in The Zone.

I think everyone uses a system, even if they do not know they do. Pro player are like fast computer, they do things in little time, because they have maga mussel memory.

How can you stand up without learning to balance, baby's can not stand, but they learn. JMHO

Everyone does use a system, I agree, the Connection System I describe in the video is definitely repeatable and measurable, a different way to look at Aiming, more about feel, touch and instinct - The point I wanted to stress is developing a Center/Center or Center/Edge alignment ABOVE the shot......this gives your subconscious a consistent starting point, which is essential to get in The Zone.

There's also a way to maximize your pocket target by dividing it into 3 Parts, gives a perception of a zone right away......then there's another trick, to intentionally force the cueball outside the line and favor the inside of the pocket.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dear Mr. CJ : I am glad to see in your post reply here that you acknowledge that ALL great players use some sort of aiming system. As one who started playing pool in the early 1960s, I can tell you that there was no formal instruction available of any merit back in those days, just a few books. The way that players became great players was to watch the very best and play for hours and hours a day for years on end. This was actually true of most sports if you go back in time.Video recording was largely unavailable to the masses; and most great players spent so much time playing from a young age that few were even educated enough to possess the verbal skills to even communicate properly their own methodology.

Today in places like Europe, we have formal training available to our youth, and we see great players like Ortmann, Soquet, Holhmann, etc. who can remain great for generations because they were schooled properly in mechanics and technique right from the very beginning. Young Filler is also an example of this, as he runs multiple hundreds of balls in 14.1 at warp speed in his early 20s.

So I do believe that a certain amount of conscious thought goes into how modern day, more formally schooled pool players approach the game and it has resulted in more great players today, than at any other era in pool history.

My point to all of this is that I do believe that proper formal training for pool requires the student to understand that there MUST be a consciously DEVELOPED individual starting point (pre shot routine) that is repeated for each and every shot that then ALLOWS the sub or un conscious to take over and EXECUTE each shot to a successful completion. I DO NOT believe that the starting point is unconscious as you stated, at least not in its development stage for the student. Through trial and error that incorporates proper training; one adheres to a singular starting point (pre shot routine) that , through repetition; becomes a subconscious element of their entire execution of each shot. Whenever great players begin to come"off their game" "out of their zone" - they usually need to CONSCIOUSLY revisit how they are approaching their shots to get back in that zone.

Thanks for your contributions to this site!

Last edited:

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When you ask a top level champion player what aiming system they use many will say they don't use one or play by feel, touch and/or instinct.

Although we do use spin or deflection to create pocket-zones and maximize margins of error [this is another subject we'll get into late] most of us use a Connection System.

Let me know your thoughts after watching my complementary video about The Connection System, and we'll compare notes - this is a complex topic, my goal is to simplify what I do to achieve my consistency, accuracy and position control. After you watch the video I'll be glad to answer any questions, learning to aim properly is critical to playing your best.

Play Well......CJ Wiley......The Game is the Teacher

CLICK LINK BELOW

https://youtu.be/Q_N_Yg-f5Qc

I’ve tried all of the so called ‘systems’ and find them robotic, gimmicky and not 100% accurate. I prefer to visualize both the cue ball and the object ball movement on the table. It begins with how will the cue ball travel to the object ball. That depends on where the cue tip strikes the cueball. In other words what axis will the cue ball turn on wants it is struck.

Then I envision how the cue ball will influence the object balls movement. Will the object ball spin on its axis, on its equatorial axes, skid towards the pocket and so on.

This entails a lot of visualization and Possibly the fact that I have been playing for 60 years. To me it’s a more reliable method of aiming and making balls. It takes very little time to determine what is going to transpire and eliminates all of the so call formulated aiming systems and the fact I don’t have to watch and listen to the tedium of one so called expert who thinks CTE is the holy grail and of pool.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the language we use turns into a stumbling block on this topic.

There's no doubt everyone has an approach to aiming. Maybe some can describe it and others can't. But some people really object to the term "system" because it implies some consciously technical thought out formula of reference angles, overlaps, 12.5 degree, ABC perspectives, quarter of my shaft, half of my ball, imagining a ghost sphere, etc. And that's not to mock the use of any of those techniques. It's just to draw focus on how the word "system" instantly affects the conversation.

A similar topic is how the word "drills" affects a conversation. There's no doubt everyone practices. But some people really object to the term "drills" because it implies some crazy Darren Appleton mosaic pattern of balls you have to weave through without contacting another ball. But it may also imply simpler setup shots with a defined objective like the Mighty X. Which then starts to get real close to the idea of just taking a shot you've missed recently and shooting it 20 times in a row to get better at it. Some people object to calling that a "drill" because they don't like the term. Even though athletes in other sports might look at that and say, that looks like doing drills similar to a quarterback doing playaction route drills over and over.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched a few of his short videos just now. This one I truly enjoyed. Its about how he had to choose between pool and basketball in high school:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4dRnXILOcI&t=14s

That is a really cool pool story! IT is amazing how dumb some high school athletic coaches can be - glad that CJ made good on his prediction! I went through this with my two sons' high school baseball coaches- both became excellent pool players and one also excelled at Golf, captaining the varsity golf team and the other captained the varsity soccer team.

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
CJ, did you ever find a copy of your finals match against Efren at the BIKE?
I agree with your video.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Stand for Something or You'll Go for Anything - That's Real Life

I watched a few of his short videos just now. This one I truly enjoyed. Its about how he had to choose between pool and basketball in high school:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4dRnXILOcI&t=14s

Yes, nobody really took me seriously about becoming a professional player, there was an effort by the principal and that coach to prevent me from following my dreams and goals.....they may have had good intentions, but I'd bet against it.

One thing about life.we are either standing for something or we'll go for anything!

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey CJ

Thanks for all your tips and philosophy over the decades. I’ve always enjoyed them. No idea how much I’ve incorporated into my game but always insightful. I’ve used the archery analogy since your first videos ‘way back’.

I’ve played guitar for 50 years this year and much of the same approach applies. I’m not even sure myself how I play a tune at times...however , not magic so much like potting balls. ..’something’ is going on in the mind/physical connection.

I enjoy all billiards but primarily a snooker player and curious about your observations of Ronnie O’Sullivan and how he plays. I know volumes have been written but do you have any personal insights of Ronnie’s mindset at the table?

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Feel like you're hitting the cueball with your Elbow.

Hey CJ

Thanks for all your tips and philosophy over the decades. I’ve always enjoyed them. No idea how much I’ve incorporated into my game but always insightful. I’ve used the archery analogy since your first videos ‘way back’.

I’ve played guitar for 50 years this year and much of the same approach applies. I’m not even sure myself how I play a tune at times...however , not magic so much like potting balls. ..’something’ is going on in the mind/physical connection.

I enjoy all billiards but primarily a snooker player and curious about your observations of Ronnie O’Sullivan and how he plays. I know volumes have been written but do you have any personal insights of Ronnie’s mindset at the table?

I'm a fan of Ronnie's snooker game and have competed against him and Steve Davis at pool but not snooker, I'd be a huge underdog. lol

One thing that Ronnie said that helps some players is he says "I feel like I hit the white with my elbow" - the white is obviously the cue ball, and the reason, in my opinion he likes feeling like he hits it with his elbow is because it creates a natural release with the hand and wrist used LAST, the hand is very important in the stroke but, like in golf and tennis and even casting a fishing line the hand plays it's role LAST - throwing a ball is another good example.

So, as Ronnie advised, Feel like you're hitting the cueball with your elbow, and if you have any trouble doing this your elbow might not be positioned correctly, I can give you a simple way to make sure and align your arm as well as possible as soon as possible.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Everyone does use a system, I agree, the Connection System I describe in the video is definitely repeatable and measurable, a different way to look at Aiming, more about feel, touch and instinct - The point I wanted to stress is developing a Center/Center or Center/Edge alignment ABOVE the shot......this gives your subconscious a consistent starting point, which is essential to get in The Zone.

There's also a way to maximize your pocket target by dividing it into 3 Parts, gives a perception of a zone right away......then there's another trick, to intentionally force the cueball outside the line and favor the inside of the pocket.

Well I was happy to see you agreed that Pro-Player do use an aiming system, CTE is a great system.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really liked how u mentioned full hit and half ball hit as references for aiming. That what i have been using and teaching for some time.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Get the feel, and touch for the pocket and the positioning of the cueball.

Well I was happy to see you agreed that Pro-Player do use an aiming system, CTE is a great system.

Yes, CTE works as long as the player does have a solid reference point to start with.

For banking I encourage pivoting to create angles off the reference point of Center/Center or Center/Edge and that's for outside English, For Inside I recommend a parallel shift because if you don't you'll under cut the desired angle consistently.

Whatever system someone uses they still have to do what I described in the video to get the feel, and touch for the pocket and the positioning of the cueball.