Slang Words - the World of Pool Gambling

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here's a list of pool slang words, feel free to add in the comments any that aren't on the list......it's essential to know these terms when listening to stories from former road players.

SLANG WORDS COMMONLY USED BY POOL GAMBLERS:

George- Word that means something is good. “the movie was george” or “the game is george” We also use double george to mean really good. This can be signaled to another Road-Player by putting their hand over their chest.

Tom- The opposite of george and simply means something is bad. If the game is a tom game then you shouldn't play. This can be signaled by brushing your nose with your finger. Double tom for emphasis.

Stalling or laying down- playing “under your speed” , missing balls on purpose or anything to make yourself appear to play less than you really do.

Lemon or lemonade- losing on purpose with the intention of coming back at a later time to beat either the person you played or someone else. Enables you to bet higher because someone already saw you lose and underrates your game. Lemons require you to stall.

Cut Up Money - "split up according to performance"

Jar- means to put something in someones drink to make them play bad and lose. Even if a drink hasn't been opened it can be jarred by shooting the substance in the bottle or can with an insulin needle or syringe.

Spot-book- the book that you keep the names and personal information about someone that tells how to beat them out of the most money, how much they will bet, how much they can be spotted, what they look like, where they play, what game they like and don’t like, and anything else that will help win the maximum money off of them.

Spot-sheet- a piece of paper with all the information you need for a certain location that has information on everyone in the room that has to do with gambling.

Mark- someone that has been targeted to be hustled or conned

Chip- used in reference to drugs that keep you up (amphetamines)

Shortstop- someone that thinks they play well but are not capable of beating any real players.

Steer-man- someone that tells Road-Players where they can go to win money and gives them the information that goes in their spot-book. A good steer-man will make 20% of the winnings for giving a good “steer”.

Stake-horse or backer- someone that puts up the money for a player and usually will split the winnings with the player 50-50 or 60-40 depending on the status of the player and how desperate he is for action.

Bankroll- refers to the money that you have to gamble with. Most gamblers will keep a “roll” of money in their front pocket for show.

Flash- to show a potential mark a roll of money seemingly unintentionally.

Nit- someone that is tight with their money and “won’t bet fat meat is greasy.” “no gambling nit”

Nose open- refers to when a sucker is beyond the point of no return and is chasing his money trying to win it back, but is in a trap and will probably lose all he has and all he can borrow.

Sucker- a loser or someone that always finds a way to lose his money.

Scuffler- someone that hangs around bars or pool rooms looking for suckers that can’t possibly win. They usually make most of their living doing this.

Road-player- the premier pool hustlers. They may go years without losing because they play really well and always know who they are playing before they play. They always have spot-books and access to the best steer-men.

Going off- means losing most if not all of your money gambling

Sharking- to intentionally try to distract your opponent by either saying something or doing something while they are shooting a shot.

Double steer- to give someone a steer to play a certain game, but actually being in with the other person. This is common among hustlers and stake-horses, especially in the big city pool rooms.

Double steer lemon- Pretending to set up a double steer, but actually being in with the first guy for the purpose of getting someone else into a game. Because of the double steer format the winning player would have to split the money with the person setting it up - if it is really a lemon then you are appearing to lose twice as much as you really are and you have the player thinking that he has really won and will tell people that are in with him so that they might get caught up in a future game. This is only done by experienced Road-Players and hustlers.

Dump- to lose a stake-horses money on purpose and splitting it with the player later at a secret meeting place.

Knockers - People that tell others the level of players game so they won't play. Knockers do this to feel important and useful, but as a result keep the action in a pool room to a bare minimum. Knockers are hated by road players.

Detectives - They are like knockers, but sometimes use all the information they come up with to gamble themselves. They know how everyone in town plays and are useful to hustlers because they give them information...sometimes for free, but usually want a "piece of the action" in return.

Back it and Jack it - When a gambling match goes down to the last game, one player may say "back it and jack it?" - this means to play the set over and double or at least raise the original bet. This would happen at 7\7, 8\8 or 9\9 as long as it's tied going into the last game, if both players do not agree the last game is played to decide the winner.

Last edited:

ShootingHank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shank- knife, just in case

Toothpick- cue

Excalibur- cue

Strap- gun

Scrilla- money

Two Eleven- means when you lose but follow the guy outside and get your money back. We usually do this with a strap or shank.

Sandbag- throwing a game

Jaws or shark- distract your opponent.

Plan B- damage to your opponents car so he either forfeits and pay or thinking about his car while playing.

Sugar- putting substance in opponents drink.

I can go on and on. Too many to list. There’s a lot a different from room to room.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
One of my favorite slang terms is "rail-dumper."

A rail dumper is someone who quietly advises some observers on the rail of an intent to dump, inducing side action from them on his opponent. The rail dumper's accomplice would book as much of the rail's action as possible. Then, when the rail dumper did not dump, he was said to have "dumped the rail." The opponent would often be in on the swindle and would intentionally play poorly to help make it look more legit.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it is interesting what we do here in America-we take a really great game, that at one time was a premier sport in this country, sharing sports headlines with the highest paid athletes in the U.S. and we relegate it to the the "stuff" that I am reading in the posts above. Next time you pick up the sports pages, look at the results and payouts of a major golf event here, of which there are several a year- look at the winner getting $1milion and the number 20 guy getting $100,000 for one tournament, not to mention endorsements.

Now when I can't even find one decent pool room within an hour of where I live - all I need to do is read the crap in all the posts above and I immediately understand why. No wonder corporate America ran as fast as they could AWAY from pool - reading the above tells me they made a good decision.

I think that Brunswick Corporation really missed the boat in the 1960s and again in the late 1980s; when they were handed a second chance to put billiards back into the mainstream in a sustainable fashion with a mass appeal both on an individual and corporate levels. Even though they put forth some effort to support the growth of the game in terms of sheer numbers of participants; they did not do enough to align the right corporate partners to bring billiards back as the sustained American pastime that it once enjoyed. Instead, they sold as many tables and accessories as they could; and then sat back twice in a span of 30 years and watched it all fall apart. In my opinion, it is a great American tragedy.

I have seen the walls of senior centers throughout this country, where at one time, many had three, four or more tables filled every day, tournaments among different centers; and now many have eliminated billiards all together, some are down to one table, maybe two, that sit idle for most of each day. A few guys between 75 and 95 still come in, cue bags in hand, remembering and day dreaming about how much they loved this game. Sadly, soon too, even the last place where men can carry their cues, will dispose of their last remaining tables, because nobody really cares anymore.

Please stop talking about who stole money from whom at a pool table. Who shot who over a pool game. How so and so lost all their money because of a con game called a pool hustle. You are heading towards a signpost that reads DEAD END STREET!

Last edited:

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it is interesting what we do here in America-we take a really great game, that at one time was a premier sport in this country, sharing sports headlines with the highest paid athletes in the U.S. and we relegate it to the the "stuff" that I am reading in the posts above. Next time you pick up the sports pages, look at the results and payouts of a major golf event here, of which there are several a year- look at the winner getting $1milion and the number 20 guy getting $100,000 for one tournament, not to mention endorsements.
Now when I can't even find one decent pool room within an hour of where I live - all I need to do is read the crap in all the posts above and I immediately understand why. No wonder corporate America ran as fast as they could AWAY from pool - reading the above tells me they made a good decision.
I think that Brunswick Corporation really missed the boat in the 1960s and again in the late 1980s; when they were handed a second chance to put billiards back into the mainstream in a sustainable fashion with a mass appeal both on an individual and corporate levels. Even though they put forth some effort to support the growth of the game in terms of sheer numbers of participants; they did not do enough to align the right corporate partners to bring billiards back as the sustained American pastime that it once enjoyed. Instead, they sold as many tables and accessories as they could; and then sat back twice in a span of 30 years and watched it all fall apart. In my opinion, it is a great American tragedy.
I have seen the walls of senior centers throughout this country, where at one time, many had three, four or more tables filled every day, tournaments among different centers; and now many have eliminated billiards all together, some are down to one table, maybe two, that sit idle for most of each day. A few guys between 75 and 95 still come in, cue bags in hand, remembering and day dreaming about how much they loved this game. Sadly, soon too, even the last place where men can carry their cues, will dispose of their last remaining tables, because nobody really cares anymore.
Please stop talking about who stole money from whom at a pool table. Who shot who over a pool game. How so and so lost all their money because of a con game called a pool hustle. You are heading towards a signpost that reads DEAD END STREET!
Yours is a great post.
You're hoping for miracles. The overwhelming majority who frequent this site or hang out at what is left of pool rooms are proud of being "on the criminal edge", proud of "who they robbed", and proud of "how much dope and liquor they could consume", and proud of the "guns they carried in their pockets".
Pool is a game for losers. (yes, I am a loser too...but not a criminal). Some are born to fail, others have it thrust upon them.
The picture tells it all.
Pool Room Bum with caption.jpg

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Shortstops

Gotta chuckle at CJ's definition of a shortstop. Having been one, mine is a bit different. Smart road players stay away from the shortstops in a new place. First because they are tough action, no guarantee you will win on their home turf. Second, you beat the short stop you have just killed every bit of your soft action. All of those that wouldn't play the shortstop aren't even thinking about playing you. You are one and done there when you might have milked things for far more. The reason these guys are called shortstops is no matter how you come out with them except laying down the lemon your action is stopped dead.

Hu

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Your description fits, parallels with what the Dem's and the MSM have done to politics
over the same time frame. There's a fly in its ointment now, just a gut feel'n that the same has,
will, show in this game of billiards also.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I'm going to print this and carry a copy in case the Delorean takes me back to 1978.

Sent from the future.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't heard this one outside of New Jersey 50 years ago.
Two guys are woofing at each other and it gets a little out of hand.

Finally one will say Dump!
Which means both dump all their money including change and the smaller amount of the two is the bet.
Sometimes it was funny as hell and sometimes a little scary depending on the two players.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
the magic digit

When you see someone flash the bird down low it is a hand sign, the situation is screwed up. Some police departments use hand signs so it is worth watching for when they meet. Annoyed me when a cop came up in full duty rig and asked how things were going. His buddy flashed the digit when there wasn't any situation. Everybody there armed, last thing I wanted was a cop on edge!

Hu

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Gotta chuckle at CJ's definition of a shortstop. Having been one, mine is a bit different. Smart road players stay away from the shortstops in a new place. First because they are tough action, no guarantee you will win on their home turf. Second, you beat the short stop you have just killed every bit of your soft action. All of those that wouldn't play the shortstop aren't even thinking about playing you. You are one and done there when you might have milked things for far more. The reason these guys are called shortstops is no matter how you come out with them except laying down the lemon your action is stopped dead.

Hu

Find myself agreeing with this...like a road player picking up a copy of a regional pool newsletter/paper with pics of tournament winners. Those being the players he'd steer clear of.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1. Fish: A ‘game’ (but unskilled) player with money.
2. Buck Fever: What happens in a large ring game to a player who hasn’t seen a money ball for many racks, is finally left a 5 or 9 sitting-duck hanger and then dogs it.

Last edited:

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
:thumbup: I have this notion and mind anyone I'm a fan not a player; that if a player is not stealing, said player is food. This list tends to support that.

:D

People who play Pool for money call it "Gambling", unless you have two people of totally equally skill I say it's Gambling then.

If one player is very strong, the other is not a strong player, not luck working, it's not a gamble. Most of the time the outcome is predictable.

JMHO.

A great hustler seldom come to a new pool room looking to play the best play, they want to play the person who in their mind thinks they are great, and has money to prove it.

Good Hustlers know how to hide true skill, that was shown many times in the great film, Color of Money.

JMHO

Last edited:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe I missed it on the list but

Action - gambling at pool

Backer - person bankrolling a player who is gambling

Calcutta - player auction separate and apart from prize money.

Regarding dumping it isn't limited to a player in action selling out his backer. It has happened at the end of a tournament to get the Calcutta cash in the right pocket(s).

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
People who play Pool for money call it "Gambling", unless you have two people of totally equally skill I say it's Gambling then.

If one player is very strong, the other is not a strong player, not luck working, it's not a gamble. Most of the time the outcome is predictable.

JMHO.

A great hustler seldom come to a new pool room looking to play the best play, they want to play the person who in their mind thinks they are great, and has money to prove it.

Good Hustlers know how to hide true skill, that was shown many times in the great film, Color of Money.

JMHO
It wasn't a documentary.

Sent from the future.

9ball5032

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Freewheeling - when the game is adjusted just right in your favor, i.e. you don't have to work too hard to win
Stealing - when the game is adjusted so much in your favor, that it ceases to be gambling
"Going off" or "went off" - when a player is gambling and losing and instead of quitting they raise the bet and play until their broke

Last edited: