AzBilliards.com  
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Products Talk > Talk To A Mechanic
Reload this Page Anniversary project

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
martin35
AzB Silver Member
martin35 has a reputation beyond reputemartin35 has a reputation beyond reputemartin35 has a reputation beyond reputemartin35 has a reputation beyond reputemartin35 has a reputation beyond reputemartin35 has a reputation beyond reputemartin35 has a reputation beyond reputemartin35 has a reputation beyond reputemartin35 has a reputation beyond reputemartin35 has a reputation beyond reputemartin35 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

11-26-2018, 10:34 AM

The sander I used to shape facing
Attached Images

Old
  (#17)
bradsh98
Bradshaw Billiard Service
bradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond repute

11-26-2018, 01:29 PM

Martin,

It's looking pretty good. However, I recommend that your facings extend to the back of the featherstrip groove. This will make them sit tighter against the pocket, which prevents balls from hitting the exposed wood.

Nice work.

Geoff Bradshaw

I play with a Hammond Custom Cue. You should too.

Old
  (#18)
martin35
AzB Silver Member
martin35 has a reputation beyond reputemartin35 has a reputation beyond reputemartin35 has a reputation beyond reputemartin35 has a reputation beyond reputemartin35 has a reputation beyond reputemartin35 has a reputation beyond reputemartin35 has a reputation beyond reputemartin35 has a reputation beyond reputemartin35 has a reputation beyond reputemartin35 has a reputation beyond reputemartin35 has a reputation beyond repute

11-26-2018, 01:51 PM

Thank you for your comment Geoff, itís nice to get input from the proís. Regarding my facing, do you think adding a piece to extend them could work or should I start over ?

Martin

Old
  (#19)
bradsh98
bradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond repute

11-27-2018, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin35 View Post
Thank you for your comment Geoff, itís nice to get input from the proís. Regarding my facing, do you think adding a piece to extend them could work or should I start over ?

Martin
I thought about that... If it were me, I would start over.

However, you may be able to add a piece. To do so, it would probably be best to cut the facing a bit further ahead, so that your patch is a larger piece. Also be sure to bond the two pieces of rubber together. Keep in mind, cyanoacrylate adhesive will make the joint very hard. Use neoprene contact cement at the joint, just like you would use to bond the facing to the wood.

It looks like you will have to patch some wood, so that you have a flat, smooth surface for the extended rubber to bond to.

Geoff Bradshaw

Old
  (#20)
martin35
AzB Silver Member

11-27-2018, 08:02 AM

It looks like you will have to patch some wood, so that you have a flat, smooth surface for the extended rubber to bond to.[/QUOTE]

I think so also because the extensions I've added stop at the end of the featherstrip groove. I think it will be probably better to remove the facing, extend the wood and install new facing. My only worry is to damage the cushion by removing the facing...

Anyway, I think I'll wait until I fit the pocket to see how much of a gap I have between the end of the facing and the beginning of the pocket.

Thanks Geoff

Last edited by martin35; 11-28-2018 at 04:22 PM.

Old
  (#21)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

JoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4400

11-27-2018, 02:32 PM

Did you use Diamond black cushions?
I don't think they're a drop-in replacement for Monarch cushions.

4.75" corners will play very generous.
If you are going to replace the facings, I think going with a thicker set so the corner pockets get close 4.5" will be better .

Old
  (#22)
bradsh98

11-27-2018, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyInCali View Post
Did you use Diamond black cushions?
I don't think they're a drop-in replacement for Monarch cushions.

4.75" corners will play very generous.
If you are going to replace the facings, I think going with a thicker set so the corner pockets get close 4.5" will be better .
Note: He did replace the face of the sub-rail, and modified the height and face angle.

It's all a matter of opinion on the pocket size.. I do a lot of 4.75" corners for casual players. 4.5" for serious players.

For me, pocket entry angles ALWAYS stay the same, at 141 degrees. The downward angle may change, depending on the table. Shorter shelves require shallower downward angle. Deeper shelves require a steeper angle. I generally cut all older Brunswick tables (Gold Crown, Anniversary, Etc..) at 12 degrees. I never go less than 10 degrees or more than 14 degrees, on any table.

Geoff Bradshaw

Last edited by bradsh98; 11-27-2018 at 02:55 PM.

Old
  (#23)
martin35
AzB Silver Member

11-28-2018, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsh98 View Post
Note: He did replace the face of the sub-rail, and modified the height and face angle.

It's all a matter of opinion on the pocket size.. I do a lot of 4.75" corners for casual players. 4.5" for serious players.

For me, pocket entry angles ALWAYS stay the same, at 141 degrees. The downward angle may change, depending on the table. Shorter shelves require shallower downward angle. Deeper shelves require a steeper angle. I generally cut all older Brunswick tables (Gold Crown, Anniversary, Etc..) at 12 degrees. I never go less than 10 degrees or more than 14 degrees, on any table.
Geoff

You are right all along.

I redid the subrail nose at 1-11/16 high with a down angle of 23.5deg. I’m ending up with my K55 cushion nose at a hair bellow 1-7/16” and the playing surface is right on 50x100.

Regarding the pocket I think I will like the 4-3/4” opening since I’m really just a casual player and the table is intended for the family and friends.

As for the angles it’s been a tough choice. Since I’m not an expert by any mean and don’t pretend to understand all the subtilties of opening angle, down angle and shelf depth and all their interactions, I’ve tried to take a decision based on various data and opinion found on the forum but I’ve not been able to found a consensus. Since the original Brunswick angle seems to be 142Deg, I kept that that and add some down angle at 14 deg. since it could, I think, probably help. Hopefully I did the right choice.

Thanks for the comments guy

Martin

Last edited by martin35; 11-28-2018 at 08:09 AM.

Old
  (#24)
bradsh98

11-28-2018, 08:26 AM

I think that you will be just fine with your pocket angles. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Geoff Bradshaw

UPDATE Frame conversion
Old
  (#25)
martin35
AzB Silver Member

UPDATE Frame conversion - 02-03-2019, 12:39 PM

After some thought I've decided to modify the frame to make it similar to the original. Not really because it was necessary but more for the fun of doing it.

Here is what I did :

-Glue laminated some 2x10 (roughly)
-Resized my existing frame to match to original dimension (I goof up on the lenght but it's another story)
-Glue and screw everything together
-Add reinforcement block all around
-Widen the cross-members to match the new frame height and add 3 new one
lenghtwise
-Plane the top surface with a rigged-up router sled and a 1-1/2" mortising bit
-Cut the outside edges to final dimensions.
-Sand, paint and seal the top surface.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  188.3 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  191.4 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Size:  194.2 KB

Name:  4.jpg
Size:  189.3 KB

Last edited by martin35; 02-05-2019 at 08:36 PM.

Some more pictures
Old
  (#26)
martin35
AzB Silver Member

Some more pictures - 02-03-2019, 12:41 PM

Some more pictures

Name:  5.jpg
Size:  184.8 KB

Name:  6.jpg
Size:  185.0 KB

Name:  7.jpg
Size:  185.8 KB

Name:  8.jpg
Size:  181.6 KB

Old
  (#27)
martin35
AzB Silver Member

02-03-2019, 12:46 PM

Next step :

I'm done sanding and removing all the old finish on my rails, sanded and repaint the bottom.

There's a lot of burn mark to get rid of on the top rails . Lot of work to come....

I'll keep you posted.

Martin

PS Sorry but my workshop is a total mess, way too much stuff. It's looking better these days after some clean-up.

Last edited by martin35; 02-05-2019 at 08:39 PM.

Old
  (#28)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

JoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4400

02-03-2019, 12:47 PM

Looking solid!

Old
  (#29)
trentfromtoledo
8onthebreaktoledo

trentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond repute

02-03-2019, 12:58 PM

Way to go Martin!!! Happy you decided to restore/ rebuild it. Looking forward to seeing your finished table. It is gonna be special!

Trent from Toledo

Old
  (#30)
Lawnboy77
AzB Silver Member
Lawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond repute

02-03-2019, 03:01 PM

Wow!! Awesome job! I love the jig you made with the router, looks like you effectively made a 50 inch planer/joiner with it. I see you transcribed the serial numbers to the new section with stamps, very classy.

The frame looks wider than a stock Anniversary frame...maybe longer to? I just noticed the cutouts at the side pocket wrap around much further than mine. I hope that doesn't create interference issues, I would imagine the new drop pockets are going to have to be cut quite a bit to accommodate that extra width? I just looked at my table and don't think that would work for mine unless I bored holes all the way through the frame to gain access to the rail bolts. I take it you must have a different setup?

Last edited by Lawnboy77; 02-03-2019 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Just noticed a possible interference issue

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: