AzBilliards.com  
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Products Talk > Talk To A Mechanic
Reload this Page Introduction and Covering Rails Question

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Introduction and Covering Rails Question
Old
  (#1)
JulioRice
AzB Bronze Member
JulioRice has a reputation beyond reputeJulioRice has a reputation beyond reputeJulioRice has a reputation beyond reputeJulioRice has a reputation beyond reputeJulioRice has a reputation beyond reputeJulioRice has a reputation beyond reputeJulioRice has a reputation beyond reputeJulioRice has a reputation beyond reputeJulioRice has a reputation beyond reputeJulioRice has a reputation beyond reputeJulioRice has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Introduction and Covering Rails Question - 02-11-2019, 07:52 AM

Hello All. My name is Julio and feel it's time to introduce myself. I visit the form often and appreciate the wealth of knowledge offered here. I'm not sure I'll call myself a mechanic just yet, but I am an up and comer in Las Cruces, New Mexico. I learned the trade from one Kerry Rhodes, maker of Ridgeback Rails. I've been on my own for a couple of years now and feel I'm doing pretty good. I always want to get better though so I will be posting more questions as they arise. Here's the first.

How do you get rail cloth nice and tight and not deform the corner like in this pic? I think I should be able to put a straight edge on the nose of a rail and it be perfectly straight. Thanks and take it easy. Julio
Attached Images

Old
  (#2)
trentfromtoledo
8onthebreaktoledo

trentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond repute

02-11-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulioRice View Post
Hello All. My name is Julio and feel it's time to introduce myself. I visit the form often and appreciate the wealth of knowledge offered here. I'm not sure I'll call myself a mechanic just yet, but I am an up and comer in Las Cruces, New Mexico. I learned the trade from one Kerry Rhodes, maker of Ridgeback Rails. I've been on my own for a couple of years now and feel I'm doing pretty good. I always want to get better though so I will be posting more questions as they arise. Here's the first.

How do you get rail cloth nice and tight and not deform the corner like in this pic? I think I should be able to put a straight edge on the nose of a rail and it be perfectly straight. Thanks and take it easy. Julio
Hi Julio!

I am Trent from Toledo and welcome to Az! I am fairly confident that most people know who Kerry is!

Are the pocket facings new? Stretching the cloth should not manipulate the shape of the facings: I just finished these superspeed cushions, 3/16" 60 durometer neoprene facings and Simonis yesterday:

P.s. My protractor works just fine RKC! It is good enough for machinist's, its good enough for me!

Trent from Toledo

Old
  (#3)
JulioRice
AzB Bronze Member
JulioRice has a reputation beyond reputeJulioRice has a reputation beyond reputeJulioRice has a reputation beyond reputeJulioRice has a reputation beyond reputeJulioRice has a reputation beyond reputeJulioRice has a reputation beyond reputeJulioRice has a reputation beyond reputeJulioRice has a reputation beyond reputeJulioRice has a reputation beyond reputeJulioRice has a reputation beyond reputeJulioRice has a reputation beyond repute

02-11-2019, 10:43 AM

Hello Trent. Yup. New facings. I did a sub-rail extension on a Gandy. New rubber, new facings. I think it might have something to do with bending the cloth a bit to not have so much to work with on the bottom. But your picture is what I'm looking for. How do you do it? Thanks.

Old
  (#4)
trentfromtoledo
8onthebreaktoledo

trentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond repute

02-11-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulioRice View Post
Hello Trent. Yup. New facings. I did a sub-rail extension on a Gandy. New rubber, new facings. I think it might have something to do with bending the cloth a bit to not have so much to work with on the bottom. But your picture is what I'm looking for. How do you do it? Thanks.
Not sure why you would not get the same results. Have any pics before you covered them? I make sure to not shape the facing in that area and leave as much of a defined point as possible. As for the upholstery for the corners, do you pull the bit of extra when you install the feather strip to account for the bend and to stop the bunching on the bottom?

Trent from Toledo

p.s. what size facing are you using?

Last edited by trentfromtoledo; 02-11-2019 at 11:11 AM.

Old
  (#5)
bradsh98
Bradshaw Billiard Service
bradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond repute

02-11-2019, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentfromtoledo View Post
Not sure why you would not get the same results. Have any pics before you covered them? I make sure to not shape the facing in that area and leave as much of a defined point as possible. As for the upholstery for the corners, do you pull the bit of extra when you install the feather strip to account for the bend and to stop the bunching on the bottom?

Trent from Toledo

p.s. what size facing are you using?
Bingo! Assuming that the cushions are cut flush, and the facings installed properly, my guess is that he isn't pulling enough slack out of the pocket area when he installs the featherstrip. Consequently, you would have to use a lot of additional force to install the cloth without wrinkles.

Julio, have you watched the Simonis Cloth Installation DVDs? They will certainly set you in the right direction. From there, you can modify your practice as you see fit. There are certainly a few things that I do differently from the videos.

Geoff Bradshaw

I play with a Hammond Custom Cue. You should too.

Old
  (#6)
SlateMate
Banned
SlateMate has a reputation beyond reputeSlateMate has a reputation beyond reputeSlateMate has a reputation beyond reputeSlateMate has a reputation beyond reputeSlateMate has a reputation beyond reputeSlateMate has a reputation beyond reputeSlateMate has a reputation beyond reputeSlateMate has a reputation beyond reputeSlateMate has a reputation beyond reputeSlateMate has a reputation beyond reputeSlateMate has a reputation beyond repute

02-11-2019, 05:43 PM

this guy has a good succinct video on the subject.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye2Xln-MN-8&t=350s

Old
  (#7)
trentfromtoledo
8onthebreaktoledo

02-11-2019, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlateMate View Post
No. That is not Simonis, it is felt. I stopped watching once he put the feather strip in....

Trent from Toledo

Last edited by trentfromtoledo; 02-11-2019 at 09:12 PM.

Old
  (#8)
realkingcobra
AzB Silver Member
realkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5785

02-12-2019, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsh98 View Post
Bingo! Assuming that the cushions are cut flush, and the facings installed properly, my guess is that he isn't pulling enough slack out of the pocket area when he installs the featherstrip. Consequently, you would have to use a lot of additional force to install the cloth without wrinkles.

Julio, have you watched the Simonis Cloth Installation DVDs? They will certainly set you in the right direction. From there, you can modify your practice as you see fit. There are certainly a few things that I do differently from the videos.
And what would you do differently?

Old
  (#9)
bradsh98
bradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond repute

02-12-2019, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realkingcobra View Post
And what would you do differently?
To be honest, it's been a few years since I last watched the videos. I don't remember all of the differences, but I know there are a few. Staple placement, order of operations... Subtle differences.

Geoff Bradshaw

Old
  (#10)
bradsh98

02-12-2019, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Please start prefacing your posts in this forum with the fact that you are "Not a Table Technician".

If you want to perform sub-standard work, take advice from sub-standard sources.

The techniques in this video will NOT yield quality results.

Geoff Bradshaw

Old
  (#11)
realkingcobra
AzB Silver Member
realkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond repute

02-12-2019, 07:49 AM

Quote:
NOT a good example. That cloth he's installing is child's play compared to Simonis or Granito, and he's never going to get the puckers out of those cloths with that method of installing.

Old
  (#12)
SlateMate
Banned
SlateMate has a reputation beyond reputeSlateMate has a reputation beyond reputeSlateMate has a reputation beyond reputeSlateMate has a reputation beyond reputeSlateMate has a reputation beyond reputeSlateMate has a reputation beyond reputeSlateMate has a reputation beyond reputeSlateMate has a reputation beyond reputeSlateMate has a reputation beyond reputeSlateMate has a reputation beyond reputeSlateMate has a reputation beyond repute

02-12-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:
No. That is not Simonis, it is felt. I stopped watching once he put the feather strip in....
i think he said it's worsted Championship cloth. what's the difference?

Old
  (#13)
realkingcobra
AzB Silver Member

02-12-2019, 08:12 AM

Quote:
i think he said it's worsted Championship cloth. what's the difference?
Stretches like panthose.

Old
  (#14)
SlateMate
Banned

02-12-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realkingcobra View Post
Stretches like panthose.
lol.... that means a lot of nylon right? i bought some cheap worsted cloth on ebay and it barely stretches at all. i'm assuming that it has a high wool content right?

Old
  (#15)
realkingcobra
AzB Silver Member

02-12-2019, 09:48 AM

When you guys show your rail cloth work, show the bottom of your rails to, seeing the staple work says a lot.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: