China Open - US Representation

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seems to me this is the first time so many American players are making the trip. I know of

SVB
Billy Thorpe
Tyler Styer
Sky?
Corey?

Allison Fisher said she is representing USA!

Are there others? This is wonderful news for USA pool!

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Agreed that this is a positive for American pro pool. America's relative absence in some of the most elite events on the WPA calendar has done some damage to its competitive pedigree in the past decade, and I'm pleased to see greater American participation in the China Open.

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Dammit, that's what happens when you have code handle links in the body of the article. I can't count the number of times this has happened. I usually catch it.

Mike

Something really funny: the article includes a hypertext link to a player named “Will Pay”

lol

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Might be but it's SVB that's in form fresh off the win at Turning Stone last week.

svb doesn't travel well.. besides, tyler seems to go deeper in every big time tourney. shaping up to become quite a tournament player. i didn't expect that when i first saw him in US vs Russia

rossaroni

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
svb doesn't travel well.. besides, tyler seems to go deeper in every big time tourney. shaping up to become quite a tournament player. i didn't expect that when i first saw him in US vs Russia

While I do agree with you on much of your post, I would have to think Shane goes further then Tyler in most big time tourneys. I do know Tyler has gone deeper in some tourneys, like the US Open 8 Ball, for example. That might all change soon though....will have to wait and see.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seems to me this is the first time so many American players are making the trip. I know of

SVB
Billy Thorpe
Tyler Styer
Sky?
Corey?

Allison Fisher said she is representing USA!

Are there others? This is wonderful news for USA pool!

Yes, indeedy. I agree. I wonder if any American entity is helping to fund these fine American players make the trip. Wouldn't it be mavelous to see the American governing body of professional pool do something for their own? The BCA and its elitists who are industry members continue to get fat while professional players are existing the industry in droves because they cannot make a living playing pool. USA has no new blood, but the European lot of professional players continues to grow. The BCA, which is USA's representative of professional pool has turned its back on professional players. SHAME ON THEM!

Maybe I am confusing news articles, but I seem to recall a recent pool brief that stated any European player who competed in a particular Chinese tournament, the name of which escapes me, will not be allowed to compete in the European governing organization of pool tournaments. Apparently, the Chinese organizers either scheduled at the same time as a European event or there was some other happening that pissed off the European governing body of professional pool.

Does anybody remember it?

L I F D 1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Allison Fisher

She's putting on "The Gloves"

U.S.A.

Attachments

• allison3 (Medium).jpg
    allison3 (Medium).jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 405

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

LOL, in the last four World 9-ball Championships, SVB has two silvers and a bronze. All of these events were played in Qatar. He won silver in the 2018
World Pool Masters played in Gibraltar. He played well in the 2018 Mosconi Cup played in England. SVB's game has traveled very well in 2018-19.

Guess you also don't consider the US Open 9-ball a big time tourney. SVB reached Stage 2 and Tyler didn't. Similarly, at the International 9-ball, SVB was 4th and Tyler didn't cash. Only big event I can think of in which Tyler finished higher than SVB is the world 10-ball.

Tyler may turn out to be a fine tournament player, but he's got a long way to go before comparing him to SVB is something other than a laughing matter.

pooladdict

no doubt about it
Silver Member
Yes, indeedy. I agree. I wonder if any American entity is helping to fund these fine American players make the trip. Wouldn't it be mavelous to see the American governing body of professional pool do something for their own? The BCA and its elitists who are industry members continue to get fat while professional players are existing the industry in droves because they cannot make a living playing pool. USA has no new blood, but the European lot of professional players continues to grow. The BCA, which is USA's representative of professional pool has turned its back on professional players. SHAME ON THEM!

Maybe I am confusing news articles, but I seem to recall a recent pool brief that stated any European player who competed in a particular Chinese tournament, the name of which escapes me, will not be allowed to compete in the European governing organization of pool tournaments. Apparently, the Chinese organizers either scheduled at the same time as a European event or there was some other happening that pissed off the European governing body of professional pool.

Does anybody remember it?

This was regarding Chinese Pool (snooker cut pockets). The Chinese are trying to get a foothold in Europe - arranging a tour there. EPBF is very protective regarding their product (Eurotour and 9-ball), and unfortunately since the money is small they have to threaten the players for them to stay loyal instead of tempting them to participate.

EPBF always do this - they have to protect themselves. The players have during the years missed several opportunities to earn extra cash because of this.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
This was regarding Chinese Pool (snooker cut pockets). The Chinese are trying to get a foothold in Europe - arranging a tour there. EPBF is very protective regarding their product (Eurotour and 9-ball), and unfortunately since the money is small they have to threaten the players for them to stay loyal instead of tempting them to participate.

EPBF always do this - they have to protect themselves. The players have during the years missed several opportunities to earn extra cash because of this.

To suggest that the matter of EPBF keeping the players loyal is the whole picture here is misleading. For EPBF to be successful in soliciting venues and sponsors for its future tournaments, they must be able to promise, in principle, the participation of its membership. That's the product they are selling when they approach a would-be sponsor.

Most European players are, consequently, loyal to EPBF, because it is the players who benefit the most when EPBF efforts to create new events and maintain a sustainable pro tour are facilitated. This loyalty is a key ingredient in the recipe for having a pro pool tour in the first place.

The Chinese 8-ball guys have a tough nut to crack in Europe, but they might succeed if they are careful not to step on the toes of EPBF. In short, I am totally on board with the stance EPBF is taking here. I suspect there's room in Europe for both EPBF and Chinese 8-ball, but the Asians must likely proceed with propriety if they are to be successful.

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LOL, in the last four World 9-ball Championships, SVB has two silvers and a bronze. All of these events were played in Qatar. He won silver in the 2018
World Pool Masters played in Gibraltar. He played well in the 2018 Mosconi Cup played in England. SVB's game has traveled very well in 2018-19.

Guess you also don't consider the US Open 9-ball a big time tourney. SVB reached Stage 2 and Tyler didn't. Similarly, at the International 9-ball, SVB was 4th and Tyler didn't cash. Only big event I can think of in which Tyler finished higher than SVB is the world 10-ball.

Tyler may turn out to be a fine tournament player, but he's got a long way to go before comparing him to SVB is something other than a laughing matter.
Agreed! SVB doesn’t travel well? He travels more than any other American and knows how to deal with jet lag. The others will be affected by this.

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To suggest that the matter of EPBF keeping the players loyal is the whole picture here is misleading. For EPBF to be successful in soliciting venues and sponsors for its future tournaments, they must be able to promise, in principle, the participation of its membership. That's the product they are selling when they approach a would-be sponsor.

Most European players are, consequently, loyal to EPBF, because it is the players who benefit the most when EPBF efforts to create new events and maintain a sustainable pro tour are facilitated. This loyalty is a key ingredient in the recipe for having a pro pool tour in the first place.

The Chinese 8-ball guys have a tough nut to crack in Europe, but they might succeed if they are careful not to step on the toes of EPBF. In short, I am totally on board with the stance EPBF is taking here. I suspect there's room in Europe for both EPBF and Chinese 8-ball, but the Asians must likely proceed with propriety if they are to be successful.
This is a theory/thought:

Good thing USA won Mosconi because if it continued to be no contest, EPBF events that offer Mosconi points would be useless, since the spectacle would be on life support. That would give more incentive for Euro players to go with Chinese 8 ball. Matchroom/EPBF need to further increase their relationship.