Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page SIDESPIN … Everything You Need to Know
Page 2 of 4 12 34

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
dr_dave
Instructional Author
dr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

10-19-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckshotshoey View Post
👍👍👍Dr Dave..... My Hero!👍👍👍
Thank you. Were there specific things in the new video that you liked more than others? I'm curious to know what people think because I have several more videos planned in the "Everything You Need to Know" series.

Thanks again,
Dave

Old
  (#17)
dr_dave
Instructional Author
dr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond repute

10-19-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandslam View Post
You would be a master teacher in a different environment.
Thank you. Although, does that mean I should be teaching differently in my pool videos? If so, I am open to suggestions from you and others.

Regards,
Dave

Old
  (#18)
3kushn
AzB Silver Member
3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute

10-20-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_dave View Post
I'll buy that. An average chalk mark left by a tip of average curvature and hardness with an average shot is about 3mm.

Regardless, I still think "tips" of english has way too many definitions and is therefore too confusing.

Regards,
Dave
Why not define the offset to a desired result. Such as, if I shoot straight across the table (long to long rail) where is the tip placement to land 1diamond right or left, 2 diamonds, 3 diamonds ..... Diamonds of English rather than Tips or Percentages.

I only say this since everyone has different strokes and different abilities applying spins, so if we teach this or that certain pinpoint on the cueball is where it must be hit the results will be different for most. Then the instruction will seem inaccurate and the response will be the usual "That doesn't work for me"

Old
  (#19)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

10-20-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3kushn View Post
Why not define the offset to a desired result. Such as, if I shoot straight across the table (long to long rail) where is the tip placement to land 1diamond right or left, 2 diamonds, 3 diamonds ..... Diamonds of English rather than Tips or Percentages.
Here's a post from several years ago about that.

But defining the tip offset this way is one thing - how do you describe where the tip should contact the CB?

pj
chgo

Old
  (#20)
dr_dave
Instructional Author

10-20-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
That’s one of “interpretations” of “tips of english” on the resource page, where 1 “tip” corresponds to 1 “diamond” of rebound angle change.

Regards,
Dave

Last edited by dr_dave; 10-20-2019 at 08:37 AM.

Old
  (#21)
Grandslam
AzB Bronze Member
Grandslam has a reputation beyond reputeGrandslam has a reputation beyond reputeGrandslam has a reputation beyond reputeGrandslam has a reputation beyond reputeGrandslam has a reputation beyond reputeGrandslam has a reputation beyond reputeGrandslam has a reputation beyond reputeGrandslam has a reputation beyond reputeGrandslam has a reputation beyond reputeGrandslam has a reputation beyond reputeGrandslam has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

10-20-2019, 01:40 PM

Your teaching skills could translate to any subject matter, they are that well honed.

Old
  (#22)
dr_dave
Instructional Author

10-20-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandslam View Post
Your teaching skills could translate to any subject matter, they are that well honed.
Thank you.

Regards,
Dave

Old
  (#23)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

10-20-2019, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post

But defining the tip offset this way is one thing - how do you describe where the tip should contact the CB?

pj
chgo
The post linked above shows that (at least on the table I used) each 1/3 of maximum english spins the CB one more diamond to the side on a straight crosstable shot.

If you use a ~12.7mm (1/2") tip there's a convenient way to hit exact thirds of maximum spin using "tips" of english:

As shown below, if a "tip" of sideways movement is 1/2 the tip's width, then each "tip" of movement adds another 1/3 of maximum english.

pj
chgo

Name:  Tips Offset.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  56.3 KB

Old
  (#24)
3kushn
AzB Silver Member
3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute

10-20-2019, 06:50 PM

Quote:

pj
chgo
The tip offset is is determined by the results.
Did I say it wrong?? All strokes are different and therefore all tip placements produced different results.

Are you saying only the contact point makes the difference and technique has is no concern? I highly disagree. It's not that simple.

Lets say you're correct, and the only thing is the contact point. How do you correct for an ingrained line up over the cue looking at the CB.

Need to look beyond theory and allow folks to see reality. Hit here and you will get this result. Foolish

Old
  (#25)
HawaiianEye
AzB Silver Member
HawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond repute

10-20-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Hit here and you will get this result. Foolish
I agree!

Just like two cues don't perform the same, people don't, either.

Old
  (#26)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day

10-20-2019, 07:42 PM

Quote:
The tip offset is is determined by the results.
I agree that experience is the most reliable teacher. I think “calibrating” tip placement can help shorten and sharpen that learning process.

pj
chgo

Old
  (#27)
iusedtoberich
AzB Silver Member

iusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1470

10-20-2019, 08:18 PM

Well sorry to be a critic, I thought the video jumped all over the place, like it didn't have a clear goal. I wasn't sure if it was for an absolute beginner, or a seasoned player. I watched about 75% of it then turned it off.

Here is what I think would make a good spin video (this is unrelated to the video you made, but its a topic I have wanted to see for a while and I don't believe anyone made this video....):

I'd like a a video showing several common shots, especially 9 ball shots, where you are trying to get position to a specific spot on the table. Lets say the super common low outside where you go across the table with the CB after making the OB.

I'd like the camera to show what the hit looks like between tip and CB "from the shooter's perspective", and additionally, what the "overlap" looks like between the CB and OB from the shooters perspective, BEFORE the shot is hit. I could care less for the ghost ball position. That goes out the window in real pool. I want to see what the shot should look like from the aim accounting for all spin effects. I'd also like this information for the exact same shot angle, but with different CB to OB distances, or different speeds. We all know that can change the aim dramatically.

I don't want explanation. I want silence. Show the shot overhead, the desired position and shoot it full speed while in the overhead camera. Then replay the same shot from the camera view that will show the tip/CB overlap, and the CB/OB overlap. Change the speed or distance, and repeat. Show this for 5 common shots. No talking, just showing. I think this would be a great video. IMO I also think it would be very hard to make due to the camera work required to show these viewpoints.

Old
  (#28)
iusedtoberich
AzB Silver Member

iusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1470

10-20-2019, 08:29 PM

Building on the last post, you (and others) have many videos explaining the why. And you also have videos combining the why and the how. I think there should be one video on spin and aim that is purely the how. No why whatsoever.

Set up a shot and desired position. Show all the things visible to the shooter from his eye's perspective while in the set position. Then shoot the shot. Thats it. Then repeat that for variations of that shot.

You could have a simple 3 min video called "how to draw across the table" with a few variations.

Another called "how to send white forward two rails" with a few variations.

etc etc.

Old
  (#29)
HawaiianEye
AzB Silver Member
HawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond repute

10-20-2019, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iusedtoberich View Post
Building on the last post, you (and others) have many videos explaining the why. And you also have videos combining the why and the how. I think there should be one video on spin and aim that is purely the how. No why whatsoever.

Set up a shot and desired position. Show all the things visible to the shooter from his eye's perspective while in the set position. Then shoot the shot. Thats it. Then repeat that for variations of that shot.

You could have a simple 3 min video called "how to draw across the table" with a few variations.

Another called "how to send white forward two rails" with a few variations.

etc etc.

I've been meaning to do this for a long time and haven't gotten around to it.

One day, I will.

I think that is the best way to teach pool...from the shooter's perspective.

Old
  (#30)
dr_dave
Instructional Author

10-21-2019, 05:48 AM

Quote:
The post linked above shows that (at least on the table I used) each 1/3 of maximum english spins the CB one more diamond to the side on a straight crosstable shot.

If you use a ~12.7mm (1/2") tip there's a convenient way to hit exact thirds of maximum spin using "tips" of english:

As shown below, if a "tip" of sideways movement is 1/2 the tip's width, then each "tip" of movement adds another 1/3 of maximum english.

pj
chgo

Attachment 532508
Pat,

FYI, I added some language to the "tips" of english and percentage spin resource page to better tie together the two images from you that were already there.

As always, excellent contributions!

Thanks again,
Dave

Page 2 of 4 12 34

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: