Reload this Page playing with inside
Page 1 of 5 1 23 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
playing with inside
Old
  (#1)
evergruven
AzB Silver Member
evergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

playing with inside - 10-22-2019, 04:13 AM

lately I've had a few steep cuts with inside miss
realized I'm not very well-versed hitting with inside in general
except on a few shots (ironically, steep cuts is one)
so I decided to play a few racks using inside, exclusively
to my surprise, I shot pretty ok
even on shots where using inside seemed counter-intuitive
I potted well, and found a way to get position most of time anyway
thinking about contact points, angles and speed differently was fun
let the games continue

peace & love

just another shot
Old
  (#2)
ShootingArts
Smorg is giving the 7!
ShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

just another shot - 10-22-2019, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evergruven View Post
lately I've had a few steep cuts with inside miss
realized I'm not very well-versed hitting with inside in general
except on a few shots (ironically, steep cuts is one)
so I decided to play a few racks using inside, exclusively
to my surprise, I shot pretty ok
even on shots where using inside seemed counter-intuitive
I potted well, and found a way to get position most of time anyway
thinking about contact points, angles and speed differently was fun
let the games continue

Many people have the idea that inside is harder to shoot so they avoid it. Naturally shots that are used less we have less experience and practice with, then they are harder.

One of my "rules of play" is to travel the cue ball as little as possible. Often one rail and inside will do what three rails and outside will do, with much less risk of running into traffic. As a side benefit players sometimes jump out of their chair and ask what I just did!

Inside is often the best choice. Learn it, use it when it is the best choice. A recent article reported tests between humans and monkeys. The monkeys were far quicker to adapt their thinking. Having another option to consider increases our adaptivity. Always nice to have more options on the table.

Hu

Old
  (#3)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

10-22-2019, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootingArts View Post
Many people have the idea that inside is harder to shoot so they avoid it. Naturally shots that are used less we have less experience and practice with, then they are harder.

One of my "rules of play" is to travel the cue ball as little as possible. Often one rail and inside will do what three rails and outside will do, with much less risk of running into traffic. As a side benefit players sometimes jump out of their chair and ask what I just did!

Inside is often the best choice. Learn it, use it when it is the best choice. A recent article reported tests between humans and monkeys. The monkeys were far quicker to adapt their thinking. Having another option to consider increases our adaptivity. Always nice to have more options on the table.

Hu
I'll have to keep that in mind next time i draw a chimp in a tournament.

Old
  (#4)
evergruven
AzB Silver Member
evergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond repute

10-22-2019, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootingArts View Post

Hu
hi hu and thanks
I definitely agree it's nice to have options

can you expound on what is the "best" choice
when it comes to deciding how to shoot?
I'd like to know more about your philosophy on that
if possible

thanks again

peace & love

Old
  (#5)
Duane Remick
AzB Silver Member

Duane Remick has a reputation beyond reputeDuane Remick has a reputation beyond reputeDuane Remick has a reputation beyond reputeDuane Remick has a reputation beyond reputeDuane Remick has a reputation beyond reputeDuane Remick has a reputation beyond reputeDuane Remick has a reputation beyond reputeDuane Remick has a reputation beyond reputeDuane Remick has a reputation beyond reputeDuane Remick has a reputation beyond reputeDuane Remick has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

10-22-2019, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garczar View Post
I'll have to keep that in mind next time i draw a chimp in a tournament.
" Where you play pool

Duane Remick

Old
  (#6)
Duane Remick
AzB Silver Member

Duane Remick has a reputation beyond reputeDuane Remick has a reputation beyond reputeDuane Remick has a reputation beyond reputeDuane Remick has a reputation beyond reputeDuane Remick has a reputation beyond reputeDuane Remick has a reputation beyond reputeDuane Remick has a reputation beyond reputeDuane Remick has a reputation beyond reputeDuane Remick has a reputation beyond reputeDuane Remick has a reputation beyond reputeDuane Remick has a reputation beyond repute

10-22-2019, 08:45 AM

Some time a cue really assists in the shooting with inside English,
in my opinion....
ALL of the Dale Perry cues I have had , and presently shoot with one-
Very easy for inside English-
Same with Ariel Carmeli cue I also have-nice and easy -
Some others weren't so user-friendly like that

Duane Remick

Old
  (#7)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

10-22-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane Remick View Post
in my opinion....
What cue features do you think affect this? Which ones make inside easier and which make it harder?

Personally, I don't believe it.

pj
chgo

Old
  (#8)
bbb
AzB Silver Member

bbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond repute

10-22-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
in my opinion....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
What cue features do you think affect this? Which ones make inside easier and which make it harder?

pj
chgo
The cue that is made for left handed players when used by. a right handed player and vice versa.....

Old
  (#9)
Duane Remick
AzB Silver Member

10-22-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:

pj
chgo
Not sure....
Just my personal experience-
On a lot of cues I have had to use and shoot with-
My last South West seemed to really squirt the cue ball away from where I aimed-Especially with the inside English-
where as the Carmeli cue in my avatar and a Dale Perry Cue-brass radial pin & flat faced joint, also an It's George piloted steel joint-
doesn't matter where I hit the cue ball- shoots nice and straight at the point I am aiming at"

Duane Remick

Old
  (#10)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

10-22-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
My last South West seemed to really squirt the cue ball away from where I aimed-Especially with the inside English
You think the cue squirted more when you used inside? How do you suppose the cue knew when the spin you were applying was inside vs. outside?

I'm pretty sure it's you doing something different, not your cue.

pj
chgo

Old
  (#11)
Duane Remick
AzB Silver Member

10-22-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
You think the cue squirted more when you used inside? How do you suppose the cue knew when the spin you were applying was inside vs. outside?

I'm pretty sure it's you doing something different, not your cue.

pj
chgo
Sorry-
" I didn't say that right, I suppose-
My experience is some cues-For me - very easy to use inside English-others not so easy at all"

Duane Remick

Old
  (#12)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day

10-22-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Sorry-
" I didn't say that right, I suppose-
Or I didn't read it right...

Quote:
My experience is some cues-For me - very easy to use inside English-others not so easy at all"
I think it's clear that the cues have nothing to do with this - "inside" or "outside" is all the same side spin to the cue; it doesn't "know" which way you're cutting the object ball. But you do have to aim a little differently for one vs the other, no matter what cue you use - it's probably that difference you need to learn.

It's harder for most everybody to get comfortable with inside because we use it less than outside. The solution isn't another cue; it's to practice using inside more.

pj
chgo

Last edited by Patrick Johnson; 10-22-2019 at 10:15 AM.

Old
  (#13)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

10-22-2019, 10:16 AM

I have an inside cue and an outside cue. Problem is they look alike and if i grab the wrong one i'm liable to miss the whole ball.

Old
  (#14)
ChicagoRJ
EEEEEXCELLENT ;)
ChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond repute

10-22-2019, 10:31 AM

Using inside and the shot looks like you are hitting the object ball to "full", so most folks over correct, and then shoot and now they've undercut the shot by a lot.

Using outside doesn't have that same problem. It's more perception than anything else. Sometime you just gotta trust you lined it up, and never correct once you are down on the shot. Easier said then done for most.

RUSSIAN Magic Chalk - "The Best Chalk of the World"

TZAR Tips now available.

"I have been playing pool for 60 years and started using Kamui about four years ago. I tried Magic Chalk several months ago and will use it from now on" - jrhendy - Noted Player and Gambler

Baltic BLUE & Chernobyl GREEN

Check us out in "For Sale" section on AZB

ChicagoRJ, the Minister of Truth and Magic Chalk. - WGDave

Old
  (#15)
HawaiianEye
AzB Silver Member
HawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond repute

10-22-2019, 08:07 PM

I play my position so that the majority of my shots will allow me to use inside.

I use inside more than I use outside.

I can do both.

Unless you are hitting a ball head on, center to center, the "inside" of the cue ball is ALWAYS the side of the cue ball that is touching the contact point on the object ball.

I am aiming the contact point on the "inside" of the cue ball to hit the contact point on the object ball that will send it in the direction I want it to go.

The "outside" of the cue ball NEVER touches the object ball.

The wording above may be "above" some peoples' heads, but anybody that knows how to play pool will know what I'm saying.

Aloha

Page 1 of 5 1 23 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: