Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Best Dr. Dave Videos / Video sets for newbies?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Best Dr. Dave Videos / Video sets for newbies?
Old
  (#1)
JackOfNoTrades
AzB Silver Member
JackOfNoTrades has a reputation beyond reputeJackOfNoTrades has a reputation beyond reputeJackOfNoTrades has a reputation beyond reputeJackOfNoTrades has a reputation beyond reputeJackOfNoTrades has a reputation beyond reputeJackOfNoTrades has a reputation beyond reputeJackOfNoTrades has a reputation beyond reputeJackOfNoTrades has a reputation beyond reputeJackOfNoTrades has a reputation beyond reputeJackOfNoTrades has a reputation beyond reputeJackOfNoTrades has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Question Best Dr. Dave Videos / Video sets for newbies? - 10-22-2019, 10:34 PM

Iíve seen Briesathís videos - several times. Theyíre gems and Iíll watch them again no doubt. Iíve got Poolology, but I feel like I need more visualization and foundational understanding before I can really pull from it just yet.

Dr. Dave appears to go pretty deeply into some things that Iím thinking will benefit me and my son, such as understanding Ďinduced throwí etc. etc. And no doubt, other things I donít know that I donít know yet.

In the interim Iím working on my stroke: pre-shot routine, stepping in, stance, smooth, straight, pendulum, grip, set-pause-finish, follow through.

Anyway, if youíd recommend just one of Dr. Daveís sets to get a more advanced understanding... (again for a couple of newbies that are hungry for info)? Iím sure Iíll wind up with a few of his offerings, again though, best set to begin with...

Thanks!

PS: almost put this in the aiming sub, but didnít seem to quite fit there. Please move if Iíve made a mistake!

Make no mistake, the Bolshevik menace is making its move ó right now ó in the United States, to forever destroy our Constitution and way of life. Will you go quietly into that bleak hellscape, knowing that the Orwellian boot will forever be upon the face of our progeny? - JackOfNoTrades

Old
  (#2)
CGM
One Ball Runner
CGM has a reputation beyond reputeCGM has a reputation beyond reputeCGM has a reputation beyond reputeCGM has a reputation beyond reputeCGM has a reputation beyond reputeCGM has a reputation beyond reputeCGM has a reputation beyond reputeCGM has a reputation beyond reputeCGM has a reputation beyond reputeCGM has a reputation beyond reputeCGM has a reputation beyond repute

10-23-2019, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackOfNoTrades View Post
Iíve seen Briesathís videos - several times. Theyíre gems and Iíll watch them again no doubt. Iíve got Poolology, but I feel like I need more visualization and foundational understanding before I can really pull from it just yet.

Dr. Dave appears to go pretty deeply into some things that Iím thinking will benefit me and my son, such as understanding Ďinduced throwí etc. etc. And no doubt, other things I donít know that I donít know yet.

In the interim Iím working on my stroke: pre-shot routine, stepping in, stance, smooth, straight, pendulum, grip, set-pause-finish, follow through.

Anyway, if youíd recommend just one of Dr. Daveís sets to get a more advanced understanding... (again for a couple of newbies that are hungry for info)? Iím sure Iíll wind up with a few of his offerings, again though, best set to begin with...

Thanks!

PS: almost put this in the aiming sub, but didnít seem to quite fit there. Please move if Iíve made a mistake!

All of Dr. Dave's videos are great. Also take a look at Tor Lowry's Zero X videos. I learned a lifetime of info from those. Good luck.

I do a hell of a job working around the holes.
Trust me aimings not your problem

Old
  (#3)
JazzyJeff87
AzB Plutonium Member
JazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond repute

10-23-2019, 06:39 AM

I have the VEPP which is pretty sweet. It goes over basic stuff pretty quickly but thoroughly then gets more advanced. I’ve been slacking on my structured practice though and this has reminded me to get back to it.

I also have the VEPS I think it’s called. The encyclopedia of pool shots. This one I don’t like quite as much because even though it has a lot of good shots, from what I’ve watched so far he never give actual coordinates to set up these shots. You can set them up yourself and get close but in some situations you can’t be sure you have everything the same and what you’re trying to replicate may be impossible due to just a small difference in angle or whatever so you can’t be sure if you’re doing it wrong or setting up wrong.

Old
  (#4)
JackOfNoTrades
AzB Silver Member
JackOfNoTrades has a reputation beyond reputeJackOfNoTrades has a reputation beyond reputeJackOfNoTrades has a reputation beyond reputeJackOfNoTrades has a reputation beyond reputeJackOfNoTrades has a reputation beyond reputeJackOfNoTrades has a reputation beyond reputeJackOfNoTrades has a reputation beyond reputeJackOfNoTrades has a reputation beyond reputeJackOfNoTrades has a reputation beyond reputeJackOfNoTrades has a reputation beyond reputeJackOfNoTrades has a reputation beyond repute

10-23-2019, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGM View Post
All of Dr. Dave's videos are great. Also take a look at Tor Lowry's Zero X videos. I learned a lifetime of info from those. Good luck.
Thank you. Iíve heard really good things about Mr. Lowryís vids.

Make no mistake, the Bolshevik menace is making its move ó right now ó in the United States, to forever destroy our Constitution and way of life. Will you go quietly into that bleak hellscape, knowing that the Orwellian boot will forever be upon the face of our progeny? - JackOfNoTrades

Old
  (#5)
JackOfNoTrades
AzB Silver Member

Thumbs up 10-23-2019, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyJeff87 View Post
I have the VEPP which is pretty sweet. It goes over basic stuff pretty quickly but thoroughly then gets more advanced. Iíve been slacking on my structured practice though and this has reminded me to get back to it.

I also have the VEPS I think itís called. The encyclopedia of pool shots. This one I donít like quite as much because even though it has a lot of good shots, from what Iíve watched so far he never give actual coordinates to set up these shots. You can set them up yourself and get close but in some situations you canít be sure you have everything the same and what youíre trying to replicate may be impossible due to just a small difference in angle or whatever so you canít be sure if youíre doing it wrong or setting up wrong.
Awesome! After reading a bit and looking at Dr. Daveís video sets, I had VEPP as my horse. Barring other definitive opinions from yíall, this is what I was going to go with. Looks like a lock.

Hopefully Santa will have extra room in his bag of toys

(I might add Tor Lowry too. He appears to have some good stuff.)

Seriously, thank you.

Old
  (#6)
dr_dave
Instructional Author
dr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

10-23-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
IDr. Dave appears to go pretty deeply into some things that Iím thinking will benefit me and my son, such as understanding Ďinduced throwí etc. etc. And no doubt, other things I donít know that I donít know yet.

FYI, I have lots of product info and purchasing advice here:

Dr. Dave Instructional Product Information and Purchasing Advice

If you were going to purchase only a single set, I would recommend:

Video Encyclopedia of Pool Shots (VEPS)

FYI, concerning fundamentals, I have lots of free stuff online here:

Fundamentals Online Tutorial

Dr. Dave's YouTube Playlist for Beginner Instruction

I hope you enjoy and benefit from my stuff,
Dave

Old
  (#7)
JackOfNoTrades
AzB Silver Member

10-23-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_dave View Post
FYI, I have lots of product info and purchasing advice here:

Dr. Dave Instructional Product Information and Purchasing Advice

If you were going to purchase only a single set, I would recommend:

Video Encyclopedia of Pool Shots (VEPS)

FYI, concerning fundamentals, I have lots of free stuff online here:

Fundamentals Online Tutorial

Dr. Dave's YouTube Playlist for Beginner Instruction

I hope you enjoy and benefit from my stuff,
Dave
Thank you Dr. Dave! Maybe one day we can enroll in your personal school in Colorado.

Old
  (#8)
BRussell
AzB Silver Member
BRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond repute

10-23-2019, 10:07 AM

I was going to say the "How to aim pool shots" video, which I see as kind of an updated and shorter version of the Video encyclopedia of pool shots. But to be honest, he has so much freely available, that I'd start with all the free stuff first.

Old
  (#9)
JackOfNoTrades
AzB Silver Member

Cool 10-23-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
I was going to say the "How to aim pool shots" video, which I see as kind of an updated and shorter version of the Video encyclopedia of pool shots. But to be honest, he has so much freely available, that I'd start with all the free stuff first.
Thank you.

Iíve been enjoying his free YouTube videos - still watching them ;-) They are indeed chock full of fantastic information, and there are a lot of them as you well know!

Maybe itís a sign of the times, and zero aspersion towards Dr. Dave, but I imagine the real goodies are behind the paywall. I know mine would be. What can I say, Iím a red-blooded American capitalist.

Old
  (#10)
dr_dave
Instructional Author
dr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond repute

10-23-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Thank you Dr. Dave! Maybe one day we can enroll in your personal school in Colorado.
We still have some spot open in the Advanced Course of the Billiard University (BU) Summer School Boot Camp next July, and I give private lessons throughout the year via Dr. Dave' Pool School.

Let me know if and when you want to sign up or visit.

Regards,
Dave

Old
  (#11)
JackOfNoTrades
AzB Silver Member

10-24-2019, 03:19 PM

Thank you Doc.

I ordered your VEPS DVD set from Seybertís today! Thanks for the input.

Old
  (#12)
dr_dave
Instructional Author

10-24-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Thank you Doc.

I ordered your VEPS DVD set from Seybertís today! Thanks for the input.
Awesome. I hope you enjoy and benefit from it.

Good luck with your game,
Dave

Old
  (#13)
Hoser
AzB Bronze Member
Hoser has a reputation beyond reputeHoser has a reputation beyond reputeHoser has a reputation beyond reputeHoser has a reputation beyond reputeHoser has a reputation beyond reputeHoser has a reputation beyond reputeHoser has a reputation beyond reputeHoser has a reputation beyond reputeHoser has a reputation beyond reputeHoser has a reputation beyond reputeHoser has a reputation beyond repute

10-25-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
You're a class act Dr. Dave. Thanks for your work and always being a gentleman.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions

Cues: Player: Gulyassy
Semi Retired: Mcdermott D-19 with Paul Dayton shaft

Old
  (#14)
JackOfNoTrades
AzB Silver Member

Smile 10-25-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoser View Post
You're a class act Dr. Dave. Thanks for your work and always being a gentleman.
You mean to tell me that the good Dr. Dave has never once lost it and told a bunch of you knuckleheads here where to stick it? Dang!

lol j/k ... oops!!!

PS: On a serious note Dr. Dave, VEPS is likely just my first purchase of your materials. No doubt Iíll end up with more. From what Iíve read, your prices for what you teach are slam-dunk worth it.

Last edited by JackOfNoTrades; 10-25-2019 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Added serious comment. And bad spelliní.

Old
  (#15)
dr_dave
Instructional Author

10-26-2019, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Dr. Dave, VEPS is likely just my first purchase of your materials. No doubt I’ll end up with more. From what I’ve read, your prices for what you teach are slam-dunk worth it.
VEPS was an epic project. Tom Ross an I spent many weeks together planning and filming for it, and his wealth of experience and playing skill really added a lot to the project. I hope you enjoy and benefit from it.

Best regards,
Dave

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: