Put your Money Where Your Mouth is for Pool.

Would you become a member of a Governing Body of Pool? If the cost were reasonable.

• Would you contribut yearly to the Common Pool Trust?

Votes: 15 42.9%
  • Would you consider teaching someone to play?

Votes: 20 57.1%

• Total voters

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Two Questions......If there were a Pool Organization that was interested in growing the sport of pool at a grass roots level and possibly infusing the Sport with some events, Would you be willing to become a member? If the memberships were reasonable say $50 to $100 or even less..

And

If there were a Pool Trust= A Pool of Money invested in the broad market that will go up and down like everyone else's investments....which historically make money in the long run. Would you be willing to give to that....if the only thing that were ever spent was the money made.....In example lets pretend we have that fund in place and people have given to it and it had swelled to 1 million dollars.....and....last year it produced 15 percent so it made......150,000. So this years budget is= $150,000.00

We aren't spending principle just what we made the previous year for an on going budget. This could be used to promote the sport to the general public and build grassroots interest in pool.

Would you become a member? Would you give yearly something to the trust?

Inquiring Minds want to know .......if you're a Giver and want to be a part of the Rebirth or do you prefer the Sidelines

Let it Roar!

Last edited:

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I expect you were going for "cute" with the "giver or hater" comment, but that term is sooooo over used and misapplied.

I would be inclined to consider it. I would want to see who was involved in administering and managing it, and what the mission of the organization was, spelled out.

Of course its a great thought. And could conceivably be a very positive thing for pool.

It will be fun reading this thread.

Last edited:

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
Answer to question 1 yes I certainly would if there was something nominal we got in return like a rulebook, car window sticker, etc like the USGA does. 2. Possibly but I would need to know who was running the show

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Buckzapper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No thanks. Pool membership associations are usually run by a Nigerian Prince that is very wealthy, or a close relative of his.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Two Questions......If there were a Pool Organization that was interested in growing the sport of pool at a grass roots level and possibly infusing the Sport with some events, Would you be willing to become a member? If the memberships were reasonable say $50 to $100 or even less..

And

If there were a Pool Trust= A Pool of Money invested in the broad market that will go up and down like everyone else's investments....which historically make money in the long run. Would you be willing to give to that....if the only thing that were ever spent was the money made.....In example lets pretend we have that fund in place and people have given to it and it had swelled to 1 million dollars.....and....last year it produced 15 percent so it made......150,000. So this years budget is= $150,000.00

We aren't spending principle just what we made the previous year for an on going budget. This could be used to promote the sport to the general public and build grassroots interest in pool.

Would you become a member? Would you give yearly something to the trust?

Inquiring Minds want to know .......if you're a Giver or a Hater!

Let it Roar!

Question 1: Yes, but there is no such organization.

Question 2: The track record of those who've held pool's purse strings over the years is pathetic. Don Mackey, Kevin Trudeau, Barry Behrman, Larry Chiborak and a few others have tried to deny moneys due to many in our sport. Who in their right mind would finance a concern in which substantial principal was to be managed by a pool-related proprietor or organization having no real claim to any of the moneys?

Finally, your attempt at suggesting that your questions represent some kind of referendum on giving and hating is an insult to everyone on this forum. You see pool as a charity. Even for the few who see it your way, pool is one of many possible concerns to which one might be charitable. Would you characterize a person who, instead, chose to give their money to a hospital, religious organization, or educational institution instead of to pool as a hater?

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
I would run like the wind from any organization that said there were only two types of people - givers and haters.

I would offer beginners free pool lessons to give them some experience with the game. But I hate when people don't show up for an appointment.

Does that make me a Giver or a Hater?

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Giver or Hater/revised

SJM and Bdorman,

Thank you for calling me out. I have edited my original post to reflect a nicer and more politically correct way of dividing the crowd. It was a tad harsh as reflected in replies before yours. I think we all need and require different things of any organization my main purpose for the thread was to assess where people might stand if asked what they were willing to do for pool if all they had to do in order to help it is financial assistance. This is my first poll ever but I do think the results from it are interesting. I am certainly not beneath being corrected and I appreciate your candor.

scratchs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I want 4k a month with six paid holidays a year..plus three weeks vacation a year..
in return I'll pay 200 a month in union dues :thumbup:

scratchs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
whoops..that 4k would be after taxs..lol.

I probably would give..if the right people were in charge.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
SJM and Bdorman,

Thank you for calling me out. I have edited my original post to reflect a nicer and more politically correct way of dividing the crowd. It was a tad harsh as reflected in replies before yours. I think we all need and require different things of any organization my main purpose for the thread was to assess where people might stand if asked what they were willing to do for pool if all they had to do in order to help it is financial assistance. This is my first poll ever but I do think the results from it are interesting. I am certainly not beneath being corrected and I appreciate your candor.

Your apology appreciated and accepted in full.

Put_upor_shutup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Problem is most would not contribute because they would get no return. They would basically be sponsoring tournaments they could not win. Random ppl don't try to get a tour card on the pga tour cause they can't compete..So random ppl just putting up money for tournaments they can't compete in probably wouldn't work..That's why u need corporate sponsors who write it off. Average Joe is not just gonna give up 100 for others to eat on..imo..

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Flawed poll

SJM and Bdorman,

--------------------

Right now at the time I am writing this your poll shows 12 people would give lessons
and 10 people would contribute money, and your percentages have that adding up to 100%.
That is incorrect.

Example: If you have fifty people that are for something and fifty people who are against
something, but only count the fifty people who are for whatever. Then conclude that 100%
of the people were for whatever, that would be extremely inaccurate!

You however don't have an area to check for the people who would not give lessons or money.
There for the take away from this poll is meaningless, at least the way it is currently set up.
Please correct me if I am wrong here.

Last edited: