instructor recommendations in SE Michigan

agt

Registered
My brother's in his late thirties and just started playing leagues about 3 months ago. He's having a blast and soaking up as much as he can, but would like to book a few sessions with a good instructor to work on fundamentals and mechanics. I'm in Arizona and don't know anyone up there. Anyone in Detroit area have some good recs? Any info is much appreciated.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
agt said:
My brother's in his late thirties and just started playing leagues about 3 months ago. He's having a blast and soaking up as much as he can, but would like to book a few sessions with a good instructor to work on fundamentals and mechanics. I'm in Arizona and don't know anyone up there. Anyone in Detroit area have some good recs? Any info is much appreciated.
The BCA maintains lists of instructors around the country. See www.bca-pool.com and then click on "Learn Pool." I see 8 listed for Michigan, but I don't know which towns qualify as near Detroit.

buck15

going broke! got there!
Silver Member
instructor

john binion is located near detroit. excellent instructor. i have been working with him on and off for a couple years. pm me and i will get you his contact info. he specializes in basic fundamentals wich i believe causes so many problems for alot of players. thanks.

catscradle

<< 2 all-time greats
Silver Member
pooltchr said:
Absolutely! Scott lives in Battle Creek

Steve
Scott is the man. I can't speak of other instructors in the area, but Scott travels and I've had instruction from him. Besides knowing the game of pool, he is an outstanding communicator. People can be trained to communicate, but a natural communicator stands out above the crowd, Scott is a natural communicator.
He isn't cheap, but he is worth it.

Last edited:

catscradle

<< 2 all-time greats
Silver Member
DennyS said:
I'm also located near S.E. Michigan, although in NW Ohio.
Although I've never received instructions from Denny, I can attest in a positive manner to his nature and disposition. I consider this a prerequisite for any good instructor.

Craig Fales

Registered bubinga user
Silver Member
buck15 said:
john binion is located near detroit. excellent instructor. i have been working with him on and off for a couple years. pm me and i will get you his contact info. he specializes in basic fundamentals wich i believe causes so many problems for alot of players. thanks.
I second John Binion for instruction around that area...

cuekev

Thread killer
Silver Member
agt,

I would also recommend Scott Lee. I went to Randy G's road show about a year ago and Scott was the second instructor. I don't think you can get any better training in the fundamentals then Scott. The info and insight from Randy or Scott in a few hour can save you yeeeaaaarrrrs of trial and error and frustration. I wish I could have gone to Pool School 25 years ago.

Merry Christmas! :)

Kevin Shafer

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for all the recommendations! Denny Stewart is also an excellent choice, and has done clinics in the Detroit area, as well. For anyone interested, I'll be in the Chicago area all next week, and then back in MI for the following week.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

agt

Registered
Thanks again everyone for the help. I will forward everything on to my brother. Happy holidays!